connect 2 monitors. total of 3 (1 Viewer)

conception_native_0123

Local time
Today, 12:26
has anyone done this. in the pictures i attach, this is the same cord i have for both my external monitors and the same ports on each side. my computer only has 1 hdmi port and im using it right now for a second monitor only. is there a way to connect 2 extra ones instead three if both my monitors that are extras only have vga ports on them? thank you.

Attachments

• connector.jpg
    connector.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 394
  • vga_into_3rd_external.jpg
    vga_into_3rd_external.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 382

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:26
Hi. You can connect as many monitors as your graphics card allows. If you don't have the correct port type, you can get some cable adapters.

conception_native_0123

Local time
the picture called 'connector' is the right cable adapters right dbguy? is that what you mean? i do not know many thing about hardwares

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
the picture called 'connector' is the right cable adapters right dbguy? is that what you mean? i do not know many thing about hardwares
You would have to look in the back of your computer to see what display ports it can accommodate. The different types are HDMI, SVGA, VGA, D-Port, DVI, etc. You can usually tell what they are by their shapes.

conception_native_0123

Local time
You would have to look in the back of your computer to see what display ports it can accommodate. The different types are HDMI, SVGA, VGA, D-Port, DVI, etc. You can usually tell what they are by their shapes.

i have nothing on back of computer. it is all on right and left side. i attach pictures of what my both sides look like. i have 3 usb's of somekind, one hdmi, one power plug in, and another rectangular thin one on other side. what do all this looke like to you? thank you

Attachments

• right_side.jpg
    right_side.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 380
  • left_side.jpg
    left_side.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 388

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
So, we're talking about a laptop then? From those images, it looks like you can only extend your laptop into one additional HDMI monitor, for a total of two). It doesn't look like you could have three screens.

conception_native_0123

Local time
why cant I? can i not buy splitter or something> you can video card is important. i only have one hdmi port. would i need 2 to get 2 extra monitors?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
why cant I? can i not buy splitter or something> you can video card is important. i only have one hdmi port. would i need 2 to get 2 extra monitors?
Hi. Let me repeat what I said in the beginning. The number of monitors you can have is dictated by you graphics card capabilities. You can buy a splitter, but all that can do is display one screen on two monitors. It's not going to be two screens on two monitors, but the same screen will be displayed on both monitors. If that's what you want, then go ahead and get a splitter.

There may be software alternatives you can look into though. Good luck!

conception_native_0123

Local time
Hi. Let me repeat what I said in the beginning. The number of monitors you can have is dictated by you graphics card capabilities.

graphics card = video card, right? do you have advice on getting more than one? if possible? i can google that. just wonder what you have to say thanks.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
graphics card = video card, right? do you have advice on getting more than one? if possible? i can google that. just wonder what you have to say thanks.
Since you have a laptop, you are limited on the type, size, and number of video cards you can have. However, feel free to look around. Who knows, maybe you'll find one that fits your laptop and let you have more than two monitors.

conception_native_0123

Local time
Since you have a laptop, you are limited on the type, size, and number of video cards you can have. However, feel free to look around. Who knows, maybe you'll find one that fits your laptop and let you have more than two monitors.

so obviously you saying that for a large workstation setup like one i talking about, a tower is best practice, right?

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
so obviously you saying that for a large workstation setup like one i talking about, a tower is best practice, right?
I wouldn't say best practice. Some large workstations may only have room for one monitor. However, a large workstation should have more options for a video card upgrade than a laptop.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tomorrow, 03:26
USB Video cards are available. They come in various types for different video ports.

Beware that you need an actual USB video card. Make sure it isn't just a USB-C Alt mode video adaptor. These rely on the port supporting the USB-C video Alt mode.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:26
More powerful laptops will have a secondary graphics card, this will allow you to run 3 external monitors directly. However, to do this you often need a proper docking station to provide the relevant ports.

I have seen some issues with splitter cables giving poor performance and poor graphics quality.
If this is going to be a long term solution a laptop can work (and does in my case) but be prepared to spend some serious £/$ on it.

I have a Lenovo i7 with dedicated docks (one at work one at home) and 3 monitors, 32Gb of ram etc, and it's great for developing on. I just press a button to undock it and go - no messing with any cables when moving, I also use a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard as I hate the stupid USB dongles that get lost or damaged.

conception_native_0123

Local time
@Minty i have lenovo (ibm) laptop too but it isn't very powerful. it should only support two monitors total. but my specifications are very low if compare to yours. i upload a picture of what mine are.

about.jpg

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 18:26
Have a look at the display adaptors under advanced display settings
1618923195033.png

It will show you the adaptor card being used. I have two (this is from the device manager)
1618923293122.png

The inbuilt motherboard one (Intel HD 630) and a dedicated NVIDIA graphics card.
It's the NVIDIA one that allows me to drive more than two monitors.
The docking station also has additional hardware in it, so as @Galaxiom suggested the correct type of USB Docking Hub can sometimes give you enhanced capabilites as well.

conception_native_0123

Local time
minty,

I have bought a VGA-VGA male-male chord, but, my adapters are dvi pins and not vga. i did not know what i looking at. i have taken more pictures of the set up I have attempted with my 3rd monitor. my 2 second does not have the USB-DVI adapter attempt, but it actually plug in to the HDMI port. that why it works. my attempt now with the adapter i buy at wal mart not work. i am getting conflicting information from many people. many people say different things. one small store called microcenter told me that usb outs work with vga. is that true? another person told me different things face to face.

thank you.

Attachments

• 3-monitorSetupAttempt.jpg
    3-monitorSetupAttempt.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 366
  • 3rdMonitorError.jpg
    3rdMonitorError.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 372
  • deviceManagerUSBitems.jpg
    deviceManagerUSBitems.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 370
  • displaySettings.jpg