Connect to data in mdf file? (1 Viewer)

rede96

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:51
Is there a way that I can connect to data in a SQL Server Express Database (mdf file) using Access?

I can currently connect to the data using SQL Server Management Stuido Express, but I would like to be able to work with the data in Access.

Cheers
Red

KenHigg

Local time
Today, 09:51
I'm pretty sure you can do this through ODBC.

rede96

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the reply.

I did try through ODBC but couldn't figure it out.:eek: Although I've been working with Access databases for a while I'm quite new to SQL and working outside of the Access enviornment.

I tried connecting though the ODBC Data source administrator, using SQL native client. But it won't let me connect that way. (Not even sure that's the right way either.)

Can you help please?

Cheers

KenHigg

Local time
I think when you connect you'll have to sign in as 'SA'. I'm not sure what the password is - Maybe someone else will jump in - :)

rede96

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Ken,

Figured it out thanks. It was a combination of things but mainly because I was using the wrong server name, I forgot to add 'SQLEXPRESS' to the end of the server name :eek:

The full server name doesn't show in the drop down lists in the ODBC configuration.

Anyway once in, I could configure the server to point at the right database file and I was away! :)

Thanks for the help.

KenHigg

Local time
Cool - Glad you got it working - :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom