Contest anyone? (1 Viewer)

AccessKurzo

Dazed and Confused
Local time
Today, 08:12
This may sound kinda lame - but just thought I'd throw it out there...

We should have a contest where a small project with basic requirements is defined and anyone who wants to participate would design and build an Access system to solve the problem.

We could all judge the projects on coding styles - overall esthetics - etc... may give some people new ideas on how to solve everyday problems.

Don't flame me - just sitting here bored on a Friday afternoon :)

RichMorrison

Registered User.
Local time
Interesting idea.

The "contest" part is problematic, methinks.

Perhaps some kind of group effort to build a really "good" Access application instead.

RichM

AccessKurzo

Dazed and Confused
Local time
well maybe contest isnt the right word - more like a comparison of resulting projects - it would be neat to see how people solve the same problem

Last edited:

RichMorrison

Registered User.
Local time
OK, that's different I guess. Multiple versions would be educational.

Do you have a vision of how this thing would be administered ?

RichM

AccessKurzo

Dazed and Confused
Local time
no vision yet - just the idea :)

I would like to see something that involves a few every day problems and maybe a few head scratchers.

I am up for anything - if someone has a good project idea or a game plan to follow, they could just suggest it in this thread.

I could look at throwing together a quick web page and putting participants screenshots/code on the page.

Nero

Shop smart, shop S-Mart
Local time
Today, 14:12
Great Idea,
Maybe we should use some of the popular questions that are posted, and build a sort of reference db for all to use and abuse?

Or Is that a lame idea???

Autoeng

Why me?
Local time
Today, 09:12
Neat idea. It would be interesting to see how people solve the problems but it sure would make for a lot of uploads and downloads. Still a good idea though.

I think it would be cool if we could build a database that incorporated all the things that people, me included, are always asking about. This db could then be downloaded as a template for solving your problems and building a db the correct way.

Included could be:

SECURITY
split database
disable shift key
form resize
sub forms
combo boxes
calculate dates
and God knows what else

But it would be really nice if this db was really documented so that new users could really get use out of it. Then again all of these things are done else where but have never been pulled together in one app. In the building of my biggest db I bet I downloaded 30 example db's.

Autoeng

AccessKurzo

Dazed and Confused
Local time
maybe thats a better idea - create an application that involves many of the questions asked here. I was thinking that administering a web page would be a bit of work.

Not exactly sure how this could all be pulled together

RichMorrison

Registered User.
Local time
This all sounds good. What do you all think of this ?

Make 2 or more smallish applications with a few simple functions. Maybe:
1) a data entry/maintenence app
2) a reporting app
3) an online query app (this could be the "reference" app mentioned previously)
4) etc.

I think it might be easier to have multiple groups work on different applications and it would probably be more natural to add some of the features described to a specific app.

RichM

Fizzio

Chief Torturer
Local time
Why not something like a Database design database? = So that it makes it easier for people to design simple Db - That would be a challenge! Could be controversial though - could put the heebee geebees up the real access programmers - not amateurs like myself.;)

Last edited:

Rakier

Registered User.
Local time
This is a great idea. I like RichMorrison's idea about the different types of dB we could build. Also, how about at different skill levels. You know:

1. Basic (newbie)
2. Intermediate
3. Advanced

I'm sure that everyone could get some use out of them. I know that I've gotten use out of this forum and the examples that I've found here.

Some of the topics (data access pages for example) are things that are pretty advanced so I think they should be reserved for more intermediate or advanced examples. The basic example should have...well...the basics. Table design, form design, reports, queries, etc...

So...when do we start?

Newman

Québécois
Local time
We could then create a CD out of it.
And give it to Pat to include in her upcomming book.;)
Newman

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I find databases of this type to be extremely helpful. Before you expend a lot of effort though, you need to check out what Microsoft has already done.

Try this link to download the newest version of solutions and the other samples for A2K. These sample db's come with integrated help files that pop up help for each of the examples.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/bapp2000/html/mdbdownload.asp

Then go to the download center and download the forms, reports, queries, and code samples. These are not as fancy but they are equally helpful.

I just thought of one example that is sorely needed by many members of this site and that is one that shows how to handle dates in VBA and SQL when they are in something other than a standard US format. Obviously there is no problem when the dates are in fields defined as date/time data type. But everyone has trouble taking a date that the user inputs on a form and using it in SQL or VBA.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom