Continous form, beeping sound while mouse scrolling (2 Viewers)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 17:25
There is no fundamental difference between the code in a retail version of Access and the subscription model of Access 365.

As I said in post #5, I get no beep whether using A2010 or A365

Privateer

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 13:25
Hi Everyone.
I am facing with this issue in my project, so I try to create a freshnew database to verify, the issue still happen.
The form is countinous form which data is fed from a table.
Open the form, click on any record, scroll up, down few times, make sure the current selected record went out the window for a time.
You will random hear the beep sound while scrolling the mouse.
Anyone experienced with this issue? Any how to fix it?
Appreciated for your helps.

Thanks,
I have also had the problem for a while now (Windows 10 and Office 365) and it is quite annoying. Primarily, I experience it in continuous forms but someone here mentioned that it also happens in tables, so I tried it. With the cursor on any random record, the noise continues, but when I click on the upper left corner of the table, effectively selecting all records, the noise disappears and I can still scroll up or down. I mention this because it got me thinking that the scroll may be doing some kind of "enter" command and Access is saying the record can't be changed, or the focus of the text box or field is changing and we are scrolling away. Anyway, this has been bothering me for years and that is my two cents worth. A cold beer to anyone who can figure this out.

Sleen

Local time
I'm having the same issue. Any progress on this? I can scroll by left-clicking on the scroll bar w/o issue, but when attempting to use the mouse wheel, I get a Windows sound, specifically c:\Windows\Media\Windows Background.wav

Mike Krailo

Local time
I gave up fighting this. No clue why it happens, but it definitely happens on the simplest of continuous forms pretty consistently.

MartinH.

Local time
Today, 18:25
Hi everyone,

I´m experiencing the exact same problem. And I also just registered here because I couldn´t find much with my Google research.
I found a (locked) thread on MS forums though.

As for the reproduction of the issue, for me it happens only on uneditable forms or queries, i.e. pass through queries.
If I´m selecting a record relatively close to the bottom and then keep scrooling down, I even can produce a continous repetition of the sound.

With the right timing I might even be able to create a rythm :p
But jokes aside, it is really anoying and I´m reviving this thread in the hopes that maybe somebody will see it and post a solution someday...

In the meantime, it might make sense to mark in the MS Forum post above that you have the same issue.

Best wishes,
Martin

Edit: It wouldn´t let me post the link, even not shortened. So lets try this: t1p.de/2ga8 (just put the https: backslash backslash in front, LOL)

Azintrepid

Local time
Today, 10:25
Hello everyone. Just registered. Have issue with beep using mouse like others on here. Son called yesterday and said his computer froze up, nothing on his two monitors. Trying to resolve issue over the phone with him. He is legally blind, short term memory problems and at an assisted living center and they are locked down, so it is a challenge trying to fix over the phone.

While talking to him he mentioned, and I heard a loud beep when he scrolled the mouse wheel each click. I just bought him that mouse so I had him disconnect it. That didn't fix his issue. His issue is nothing comes up on the monitors. He is not hearing any POST beep and nothing on screen. But the mouse will beep as being discussed on here. Searched internet and found this topic being discussed here. I'm wondering if the beep could be related to a motherboard issue, since I'm not sure the computer is booting up. My plan is to try and get him into the BIOS and check if his BIOS is up to date. Let me know if there is anymore information I can provide to help fix this issue. ASUS ROG GD30CI-DS73-GTX1070 bought in 2017.
Thank you,
Dennis

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
I recently had an annoying Ding noise that was happening constantly at random times all day on my laptop. I solved the issue by resetting Windows Sounds to "Default" (only lost a couple modifications I'd made). The noise then went away. After that I was free to re-customize those few Windows Sounds options that I actually did have customized (like Skype).

Who knows - that may work for you too. Posting just in case it helps anyone.

Mike Krailo

Local time
Yes, I doubt a BIOS has anything to do with this particular issue being discussed. If a machine won't even boot up, you have a whole nuther problem on your hands. If there is no video on the monitors, that's a completely different thing from what we are discussing here.

As far as resetting the sound to defaults in Windows, I tried it but still have the same annoying beeping sound on scroll. This is the exact same sound you hear when adjusting the master volume control in Windows using the mouse. That's also very annoying, maybe it's related somehow.

Local time
I'm late to the game but I created an account specifically to comment on this issue. I am using Office 365 Apps for enterprise, Access version 2106 (Build 14131.20278 Click-to-Run) on Windows 10.

I am experiencing this issue as well on both continuous forms and both linked and local tables and I am determined to figure out as much as possible and I could use your help.

This issue occurs with tables containing only one record and linked vs local tables does not matter. It also occurs when your cursor is in the "New record" row.

I have not been able to duplicate it when selecting the entire row by clicking on the left hand side of the row. It seems to require the cursor to be clicked in a field. It occurs when the row is in the "edited" and "non-edited" state and when a field is null or contains data.

Sometimes it stops occurring while I am testing things out and usually double clicking in a field will start it back up.

I can even get it to occur in a local table with one field (data type doesn't matter) with no data and no primary keys or indexes.

Local time
I also duplicated the issue when in design view of the table with the cursor in one of the "Field Name" column cells.

Local time
Getting Closer!

If you go under Control Panel > Sounds and click the "Sounds" tab at the top, my computer is set to the "Windows Default" sound scheme. There are several "Program events" that use the "Windows Background" sound that we are hearing. I changed each one at a time until I found which one was the culprit. Turns out it is the "Program Event" called "Default Beep" that is firing when we scroll the mouse wheel.

You can change it from "Windows Background" to "None" and you will no longer hear the beep. However, I do not know what else causes the "Default Beep" to fire and if it is set to "None", you will no longer hear those other events firing. So this is more of a work around than a solution. Plus, it would have to be done on each PC so it is not a viable work around for programs distributed to clients unless you make the change on their computers.

Still working on a better solution but at least we are a bit closer to an answer.

NeilSargent

Local time
I've had complaints from a client about this beeping effect and researched the issue. Although I haven't yet found a fix, I can confirm some details about the effect.

If you have a continuous form, or simply open a table in datasheet view, you can scroll records using the mouse wheel. In this situation:
  1. If you click on any field of any record and then scroll the mouse wheel, the system will beep.
  2. If you scroll the mouse wheel up and down, the system will beep each time the active field/control passes under the cursor.
  3. If you move the cursor over any other field, other than the active field/control, there is no beep when you scroll.
  4. If you click the record selector (left of the list of fields), there is no beep when you scroll.
I think that it is clear that the mouse scroll is causing an illegal navigation move on the active control and the standard control editing processing is beeping in protest. Effectively, it only occurs in "edit mode". It is the active control which is beeping, not the form itself.

Perhaps these observations will inspire someone to find the underlying cause and devise workaround!

Mike Krailo

Local time
That's very interesting. The form that this issue has bothered me the most on does not have record selectors enabled so I switched to a form that does have them to test out what you said Neil and it does look like the field that has the focus while the mouse passes through it is really what causes the beep. That is much more accurate info on what is happening to date. I'm using the MouseMove event for the form and a control in the header called HiddenControl. That control has a background color matching the header background color so when it gets the focus, all you might see is the cursor. Using this method doesn't get rid of the initial beep but it comes close to solving the problem as you will only get one beep maximum. I can live with that. Maybe someone can tweak this further to get it fully working but this is great.

Code:
Private Sub Form_MouseWheel(ByVal Page As Boolean, ByVal Count As Long)
   If Me.OnMouseMove = "" Then
      Me.HiddenControl.SetFocus
   End If
End Sub

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Thank you Neil for your detailed testing.
I can also confirm your findings are correct.

But how useful is the default beep sound anyway?
Personally I would just set the default sound scheme to No Sounds or change the Default Beep sound to None.
Problem solved.

Mike Krailo

Local time
And that would be a per user basis thing. I would still like to see a root cause fix for this such that the actual error being generated could be trapped and ignored instead of messing with system settings.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Agreed. I normally set Windows Sounds to None almost immediately I setup a new PC.
In my opinion, the sounds are an unnecessary distraction in general

Of course, you could also disable mouse wheel scrolling!

Mike Krailo

Local time
I will most likely do as you said on my main rig and turn the sounds off globally just because, it is annoying as hell. But I can see where users that don't wish to do that will still complain about the beep. In any case, we have made some progress on this. If anyone can figure out how to trap that error somehow, that would be the last nail in the coffin.

mhenley

Local time
Okay ... ju
That's very interesting. The form that this issue has bothered me the most on does not have record selectors enabled so I switched to a form that does have them to test out what you said Neil and it does look like the field that has the focus while the mouse passes through it is really what causes the beep. That is much more accurate info on what is happening to date. I'm using the MouseMove event for the form and a control in the header called HiddenControl. That control has a background color matching the header background color so when it gets the focus, all you might see is the cursor. Using this method doesn't get rid of the initial beep but it comes close to solving the problem as you will only get one beep maximum. I can live with that. Maybe someone can tweak this further to get it fully working but this is great.

Code:
   If Me.OnMouseMove = "" Then
      Me.HiddenControl.SetFocus
   End If
End Sub
Hi Mike -

I couldn't quite get the logic above to work. It kept beeping.
However, I tried replacing with this:

On Error GoTo errorTrap
DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSelectRecord
Exit Sub
errorTrap:
'Do nothing
End Sub

This means it will still do the annoying beep. I would LOVE to get rid of that beep, but it seems not worth the effort. Anyway, thanks to your solution I do have it only beeping once now!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I would LOVE to get rid of that beep, but it seems not worth the effort.

Your wish is my command!
Create a new standard module and paste in this code

SQL:
Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

'Code from https://wellsr.com/vba/2016/excel/use-vba-to-mute-unmute-volume-up-volume-down/

Const VK_VOLUME_MUTE = &HAD
Const VK_VOLUME_DOWN = &HAE
Const VK_VOLUME_UP = &HAF

#If VBA7 Then
    Private Declare PtrSafe Sub keybd_event Lib "user32" (ByVal bVk As Byte, ByVal bScan As Byte, ByVal dwFlags As Long, ByVal dwExtraInfo As Long)
#Else
    Private Declare Sub keybd_event Lib "user32" (ByVal bVk As Byte, ByVal bScan As Byte, ByVal dwFlags As Long, ByVal dwExtraInfo As Long)
#End If

Sub VolUp()
   keybd_event VK_VOLUME_UP, 0, 1, 0
   keybd_event VK_VOLUME_UP, 0, 3, 0
End Sub

Sub VolDown()
   keybd_event VK_VOLUME_DOWN, 0, 1, 0
   keybd_event VK_VOLUME_DOWN, 0, 3, 0
End Sub

Sub VolToggle()
   keybd_event VK_VOLUME_MUTE, 0, 1, 0
End Sub

So, for example, you can now temporarily mute all sounds by adding the following line in the Form_Load event of any affected form
Code:
VolToggle
If you want to switch sounds back on afterwards, use the same code line in the Form_Unload or Form_Close event

Or if preferred, you can just add that line in the startup code for your app & repeat before closing your app

Hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom