Continous form, beeping sound while mouse scrolling (1 Viewer)

memairport

Local time
Today, 07:38
I'm late to the game but I created an account specifically to comment on this issue. I am using Office 365 Apps for enterprise, Access version 2106 (Build 14131.20278 Click-to-Run) on Windows 10.

I am experiencing this issue as well on both continuous forms and both linked and local tables and I am determined to figure out as much as possible and I could use your help.

This issue occurs with tables containing only one record and linked vs local tables does not matter. It also occurs when your cursor is in the "New record" row.

I have not been able to duplicate it when selecting the entire row by clicking on the left hand side of the row. It seems to require the cursor to be clicked in a field. It occurs when the row is in the "edited" and "non-edited" state and when a field is null or contains data.

Sometimes it stops occurring while I am testing things out and usually double clicking in a field will start it back up.

I can even get it to occur in a local table with one field (data type doesn't matter) with no data and no primary keys or indexes.
What I have found to be the case as well....when the focus is in a form header field I can scroll without the beeping. The minute I click into a field in the Detail section the beep returns - it is an intermittent beep in the detail section as eventually, while scrolling with the mouse wheel, after a few beeps, the beeping goes away. I have yet to find the trigger for it but thought the header info might help. I will continue to look through this forum for an answer.

memairport

Local time
I've had complaints from a client about this beeping effect and researched the issue. Although I haven't yet found a fix, I can confirm some details about the effect.

If you have a continuous form, or simply open a table in datasheet view, you can scroll records using the mouse wheel. In this situation:
  1. If you click on any field of any record and then scroll the mouse wheel, the system will beep.
  2. If you scroll the mouse wheel up and down, the system will beep each time the active field/control passes under the cursor.
  3. If you move the cursor over any other field, other than the active field/control, there is no beep when you scroll.
  4. If you click the record selector (left of the list of fields), there is no beep when you scroll.
I think that it is clear that the mouse scroll is causing an illegal navigation move on the active control and the standard control editing processing is beeping in protest. Effectively, it only occurs in "edit mode". It is the active control which is beeping, not the form itself.

Perhaps these observations will inspire someone to find the underlying cause and devise workaround!
I duplicated your comments exactly - thanks - and I too, hope there is an answer forthcoming as this is really annoying.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 12:38
OK but do remember you can just disable sounds as a temporary measure whilst scrolling.
In my opinion its a perfectly good workround . . . at least till someone works out a better method! ;)

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 13:38
OK but do remember you can just disable sounds as a temporary measure whilst scrolling.
In my opinion its a perfectly good workround . . . at least till someone works out a better method! ;)
"Every time I scroll in your application my computer stops playing my music!" sounds like a good start for a help desk call from hell. :cool:

An improved implementation of this type of workaround could use the Windows Core Audio API to selectively mute System Sounds only. (Access does not register its own audio session, so its is lumped in with the System Sounds session.)

A C# sample of this approach can be found here: https://stackoverflow.com/a/14322736/4783374
(Unfortunately, these audio APIs are not easily useable from VBA.)

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
"Every time I scroll in your application my computer stops playing my music!" sounds like a good start for a help desk call from hell. :cool:
LOL! Valid point.
However, my own solution (which I'd mentioned before) is just to disable the Windows Beep in Control Panel whilst retaining all other system sounds.

1632145615768.png

It works perfectly :D

novyel

Local time
LOL! Valid point.
However, my own solution (which I'd mentioned before) is just to disable the Windows Beep in Control Panel whilst retaining all other system sounds.

View attachment 94606
It works perfectly :D
I'm so happy to have found this ! I was feeling alone with that issue, nobody tells about it in french.
Thanks to isladogs, it works perfectly : no beep more and I still hear music on my computer !

novyel

Local time
To be honest, with VolDown and VolUp, beep sounds on the top of the form - each time I scroll on the top.
I must use VolMute as it was said by isladogs to be good !

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hi @novyel
Welcome to the forum.
I disabled the Windows Beep sound many years ago and I find that solves most unwanted noises.
However you may wish to experiment with disabling some or even all other sounds as well if you find them distracting e.g. EMail notification

novyel

Local time
VolMute is perfect, because my data base is shared, and I can't manage general sound on others PC.
Thanks for your solution.

novyel

Local time
altogether, I prefer use VolDown, this way
Code:
    Dim i As Integer
        For i = 1 To 100
          Call VolDown
        Next i
and the sounds is shut down when the form opens
And I use VolUp the same way, when the form closes

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Personally I would just toggle the volume off/on if doing this with code, but whatever works best for you....

novyel

Local time
I did that, but a problem occurs if the sound is desactivated before the program runs !

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I did that, but a problem occurs if the sound is desactivated before the program runs !
Sorry - not sure what you mean here.
Do you mean an error occurs if you have muted sounds where these have already been disabled in Windows Sound settings?
If so, why mute it antyway?

novyel

Local time
No error occurs, but, if the sound has been muted before the form is opened, then the toggle enables the sound, and the beep is heard.
(sorry for my approximate english)

JustAnnoyed

Local time
I too just registered for this issue. Yeah, I can mute the sound but what about all my users! Muting the PC sound while scrolling just seems like a bad workaround as it could drive users crazy if they do happen to stream music. I was so optimistic when I started reading this thread but when the the dates turned to 2021 it wasn't looking good and here I am. Is there an API to mute just this one Windows sound during a scroll event?

P01ym4r

Local time
Today, 05:38
Hi,

I have the same issue with an application I wrote.
The main form has a continuous form in it.
The continous form has "Allow Edit", "Allow Additions", "Allow Delete" properties off.
The form is just for scrolling through records. When you need to do something with a record, just click on it and select the Add, Edit or Delete Action.

I have this annoying sound too and up to now I just turned off the speaker while working with my app.
That's just a workaround cause I didn't want to spent time to investigate deeply.
Anyway, a workaround it's just this. It's not a solution, and I don't want to apply workaround.
This is just something annoying but in other cases it could be a symptom of a weakness in the code.

Well, I noticed that the problem occurs when I click on a record so the edit cursor is within a text box.
During the scrolling when the row where the edit cursor is passes under mouse pointer, the system sounds.
Thus, I found the root cause.
Next step, is to find a decent solution.
This means intercepting the event or avoiding to have the edit cursor in any textbox.
On the other hand, in my case, textboxes are just for scrolling, not for editing.

Does this situation apply to your case?

I hope to have been helpful.

Bye

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom