Continuing Adventures of Pepper (1 Viewer)

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Today, 17:03
He was banned 5-6 years ago. Somebody felt the need to lift the ban. Had the ban been enforced this thread would be a non issue.

You're wrong. I lifted the ban because he was still here under a different name.

It's impossible to permanently ban someone from a forum in this day and age. Today, we have PVNs, proxies, anonymizers, public access points! You can't even ban an IP! Someone can just register again and keep trolling.

I also don't have time to play cat and mouse with someone to see who tires first, as I'm sure I would. While some may find it fun to keep chasing the impossible-to-catch red dot, I just want to lay around like normal cats do. Eventually, the person controlling the red dot gets bored if no cats are chasing.

So, not taking the bait to begin with and not letting someone on an online forum have such an impact on your personal well-being and inner calm has a much bigger impact in the long run. You'll also feel a lot better and probably not die as young. ;)

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Today, 22:03
He was banned 5-6 years ago. Somebody felt the need to lift the ban. Had the ban been enforced this thread would be a non issue.

He, and a guy called Rich, were not banned but deleted from the forum by a mod they were having an argument with, again it was a mountain made out of a molehill. They were reinstated but lost thousands of posts, many , maybe most, from the technical threads. The guy apologised and resigned his position but col never forgave him.
Col is not a bad person, just bored and likes to wind people up, especially Americans I don't know why as it appears to be all too easy.

Brian

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Yes Vass is of course correct he did suffer a second ban. My bad

Brian

Vassago

Local time
He, and a guy called Rich, were not banned but deleted from the forum by a mod they were having an argument with, again it was a mountain made out of a molehill. They were reinstated but lost thousands of posts, many , maybe most, from the technical threads. The guy apologised and resigned his position but col never forgave him.
Col is not a bad person, just bored and likes to wind people up, especially Americans I don't know why as it appears to be all too easy.

Brian

Colin was never deleted and all of his posts, short of the ones lost in the hack to all of us, are accounted for including those made under DaveP since I did a merge.

Rich was deleted. Sometimes people, including mods and admins (as the person was at the time), allow something as insignificant as an online Watercooler thread to get them heated or upset. Everyone certainly makes mistakes and I'm sure that particular person realizes he shouldn't have done that. Unfortunately, the damage was done and it could not be reversed. He did return for a bit. It would be nice to see him come back every now and again. I do miss the silliness we used to share here before all of the mindless cultural bickering changed the dynamic of the Watercooler.

I will never completely delete someone from the system, everyone has my word on that. I rarely do any bans, short of spammers, maybe once every year or three for a short vacation? I will delete posts and tell you why. Not everyone will agree with me. That's fine. I don't get paid to be here. None of the mods do either. If Jon feels like any of us are doing a bad job, I'm sure he would say so.

Vassago

Local time
Does anyone have any contact with Rich outside the forum? I suppose I may have to hunt down more of the long-time forum members to find out. :D

What about TessB? Hayley? Cosmos?

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Does anyone have any contact with Rich outside the forum? I suppose I may have to hunt down more of the long-time forum members to find out. :D

What about TessB? Hayley? Cosmos?

Rich appeared a couple of years back fleetingly. Same with TessB (she still wanted to marry me)
Hayley got married, probably got kids now.
Cosmos, don't know.
Ally works about 500 yards from my house, I see her for lunch from time to time, she's ok but not doing access work.
Cindy, has a few kids so I guess is busy.

That's all I know.

Col

Libre

been around a little
Local time
Today, 14:03
If anybody gives a rodent's posterior (I doubt you do but what the hay) I will state the following:
- I totally understood Burrina's initial post.
- I don't think Col wrote anything offensive in reply.
- I think Burrina was the one that went off half-cocked for no apparent reason.
- Burrina's (supposedly) final post is a little petulant and childish. I don't understand why someone would post that they are not going to post. That is like saying, "I'm not going to say anything". If that's your attitude, why not adopt it one statement sooner?
- Then, to add (words to the effect of) "..and I'm not going check in or answer any replies either ..." is like making a provocative statement, then putting your fingers in your ears and droning, "I can't hear you la la la la la la la laaaaaaaa". It's a little infuriating.
- Sorry Burrina feels as though he "gave more than received" but that's life in the big city. Toodleloo. I'm not going to cry about it.
- I enjoyed Burrina's other posts for the most part - seemed like a nice and good hearted sort and I don't understand what set him off so (not that he bothered to explain).
- Colin Essex is definitely NOT a troll in my opinion, he is an active member of this discussion group, and although he may act curmudgeonly, he is an individual with his personality and his beliefs and attitudes as we all have, and he rarely bothers me at all.
-Strange that there are more replies, discussions and repartee about a person posting that they are not going to post, than there are about a great many fascinating things that I have personally brought to this group, and which received close to (or exactly) zero attention, but again, that's life in the big city.

Last edited:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I was thinking back to when I first saw the title given to this thread, and I remember thinking "aha, at last a thread of interest, it's about The Beatles or Sgt. Pepper".

Then I was thinking about all the posts and I have to say "what is all the fuss about? It's still a bit of a mystery to me. Surely there are more pressing issues to discuss in this world than some stupid bird thing.

Beautiful plumage though.

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Col,
I would point out that this is the Watercooler not the Debates forum, therefore one can post the sort of throw away comment people make at Watercoolers, however at the Watercooler in the office I worked, coffee machine actually, a shitty comment could expect a shitty reply and you lived with it, thin skinned people kept quiet.

Brian

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Col,
I would point out that this is the Watercooler not the Debates forum, therefore one can post the sort of throw away comment people make at Watercoolers, however at the Watercooler in the office I worked, coffee machine actually, a shitty comment could expect a shitty reply and you lived with it, thin skinned people kept quiet.

Brian

I am well aware of what is acceptable in or around the watercooler, I am surprised that you of all people, after all these years together, find it necessary to remind me.

When did I make a "shitty" (as you so eloquently put it) comment?

Col

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
I am well aware of what is acceptable in or around the watercooler, I am surprised that you of all people, after all these years together, find it necessary to remind me.

When did I make a "shitty" (as you so eloquently put it) comment?

Col
I don't think that Brian was saying that you had made a "shitty" comment. IMO he was just saying that if you come to the water cooler there will be "shitty" comments made. As a former US president said "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen".

I would oppose any attempt at censorship in this particular forum except for obscene or clearly racist remarks. By racist remarks I do not include criticism of particular countries.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:03
This thread opened up a can of worms, or so it seems, and I have to admit that I've seen this kind of post before on other social media. A friend of mine goes on and on about Okra in a context that confuses folks - until they find that Okra is his 1 1/2 year old English Mastiff. For those who don't realize it, okra (the vegetable) has special meaning in south Louisiana due to its contributions to cooking in gumbo and other types of stews. So it is not as rare a name for a pet as one might think.

But the point I want to make is that if someone wants to prattle on about their pet using verbal shorthand and then expect us to swoon with amazement, there is a problem beforehand. To then comment that you don't understand the shorthand isn't actually an impolite post. To be honest, if I hadn't been a bit busy for the last couple of days writing up a special report for my "day job" I might well have inquired about that myself. So I can't fault Colin for asking for clarification.

Anyone who has been here long enough knows that Colin can be UK-centric, but that is OK. (After all, I'm a bit USA-centric sometimes.) Colin can be abrupt, but then the comments by AccessBlaster were a lot worse. In this thread and in burrina's other thread about leaving the forum, Colin is being blasted unfairly. When he deserves it, fine. Blast away. But this time, burrina is the one who made a mountain out of a molehill. AccessBlaster didn't help.

"but then the comments by AccessBlaster were a lot worse" I really have to laugh at this comment. In the watercooler where nobody is suppose to have a thin skin, I alone made it worse, and I didn't help? Doc is this the mental illness ward of the watercooler? LOL:rolleyes:

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I don't think that Brian was saying that you had made a "shitty" comment. IMO he was just saying that if you come to the water cooler there will be "shitty" comments made. As a former US president said "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen".

I would oppose any attempt at censorship in this particular forum except for obscene or clearly racist remarks. By racist remarks I do not include criticism of particular countries.

If that's the case I apologise for misinterpreting Brian's comment. I don't really understand it as I have been called everything from a nazi to an annoying troll. It's a laugh more than anything.

Oh, Rabbie, why can people post foul language here (beginning with "f") with no comeback if you censor such comments?

Col

Brianwarnock

Retired
Local time
Actually Col my remarks were aimed at the first post, think about it, but I can see how you could think that it might include you. I apologise to the forum members for my language in the failed attempt at humour.

Brian

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
If that's the case I apologise for misinterpreting Brian's comment. I don't really understand it as I have been called everything from a nazi to an annoying troll. It's a laugh more than anything.

Oh, Rabbie, why can people post foul language here (beginning with "f") with no comeback if you censor such comments?

Col

I thought I had made my views on censorship clear. It should be kept to a minimum and I have no intention of banning the use of swear words especially in this forum. I take the view that "sticks and stones may break your bones but words will never hurt you". As has already been stated if you don't like this forum don't read it. It is not obligatory to read any posts if you find them offensive.

I have often noticed that people tend to become abusive when they realise they are losing the argument.

Long live free speech

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Actually Col my remarks were aimed at the first post, think about it, but I can see how you could think that it might include you. I apologise to the forum members for my language in the failed attempt at humour.

Brian

My mistake.

Col

RainLover

VIP From a land downunder
Local time
Tomorrow, 07:03
I just tried to read this post from beginning to end.

I did not make it.

The only thing I can say is that I am an idiot.

Bet I don't get many arguments over that.

Good Night.

AnthonyGerrard

Registered User.
Local time

Brian

I thought describing the original post as shitty was a little harsh - I missed the humour though.

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Same with TessB (she still wanted to marry me)
Hayley got married, probably got kids now.
Cosmos, don't know.
Ally works about 500 yards from my house, I see her for lunch from time to time, she's ok but not doing access work.
Cindy, has a few kids so I guess is busy.
:eek: I miss those folks. And Selena.

Apparently really, really, really bored. I joined these forums 14 years ago (omfg) and Colin is still singing the exact same tune. Don't they have video games in the UK?

As an aside, I spent a few days in London this spring. It was my second visit and for the second time the weather was lovely. Spent an afternoon in Hyde Park, took a historical walking tour (yes, some Americans can walk!), saw what a £23,000 pen looks like at Harrod's, replied to a stranger in an English accent without meaning to but apparently it was accepted as genuine, and - ironically - saw Jersey Boys at Picadilly. Wonderful city :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom