Continuous form bound to a Sharepoint List (1 Viewer)

BiigJiim

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:37
Hi all,

We have an Access FE which links to a Sharepoint List containing about 70 fields. Each record in the list is completed in a 2 stage process, by different users. Stage 2 cannot be worked until Stage 1 is completed. A continuous form "frmAllocate" is bound to this list and can update two fields, to allocate the Stage 1 and Stage 2 user. The allocation form is only available to a couple of Admin users. Every other user can then see the records allocated to them and can edit each record individually.

The problem we are experiencing is that Admin users tend to keep the Allocation screen open for long periods, but it does not seem to refresh automatically when another user makes changes in a record. So for example:
1) the admin user opens the Allocation form at 9am,
2) a Stage 1 user completes their section of a record at 9.20am
3) at 9.30am the admin user navigates to that record and updates the field which allocates it to a Stage 2 user

In this scenario the changes made by the Stage 1 user are lost, as the continuous form saves the record based on the state of the record at 9am when the allocation form was first opened.

Is there any way of automatically making the continuous form auto-refresh periodically, as it would if it was linked to an Access BE? I know I can use a timer event or something to force a refresh of the continuous form at regular intervals, but is there any better way of doing it? Seems very clunky.

Thanks for any help!
Jim

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
It appears that, (probably due to the the political upheaval) your question has been missed. I'm bumping it up the list for another vote!

BiigJiim

Registered User.
Local time
It appears that, (probably due to the the political upheaval) your question has been missed. I'm bumping it up the list for another vote!
Thanks Uncle Gizmo

BiigJiim

Registered User.
Local time
Did anyone ever have an answer to this? (Bump!)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:37
I'm going to bump it again, if I can. Sorry, BiigJiim, but I know nothing about SharePoint lists.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:37
Did you implement your Timer idea? Just curious...

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Today, 03:37
Expounding to what DBG has suggested, if the issue is the possibility of users keeping a form open thereby causing data collision and overwrites - you need a way to prevent others from editing a record that is already "dirty" and even better, close the form after a specific period of time of in activity.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Would this be a situation where (as dbGuy said) a Timer + a Me.Requery is indicated? I do work with Sharepoint lists quite a bit, but I don't see this issue as having anything to do with Sharepoint. Forms do not dynamically requery themselves "by default" in just about any case, do they?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:37
There is a setting in the FE under File >> Options >> Current Database where you can set the auto-requery frequency for that DB. However, I would not be surprised that it doesn't apply to incomplete UPDATE queries. & actions.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
There is a setting in the FE under File >> Options >> Current Database where you can set the auto-requery frequency for that DB. However, I would not be surprised that it doesn't apply to incomplete UPDATE queries. & actions.
That's interesting. (I actually found mine under Client Settings). I don't think I've ever relied on that for anything, nor noticed data actually automagically being updated on a Form screen - but that doesn't mean it didn't happen, just that I haven't incorporated it into my expectations. Given that it was not under Current Database, I imagine each person would have to set that setting on their Access application in order for it to have much effect.

It could be very useful, if it actually works as I'm imagining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom