Control Source Equation (1 Viewer)

ernielippert

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:19
My form contains a series of check box controls RecdCard2000, RecdCard2001, RecdCard2002… RecdCard2012, RecdCard2013 … . There is another check box, Last Year, which currently has for its Control Source: RecdCard2011. Every year I change this manually. I want to change the Control Source to: ="RecdCard" & Right(Str(Year([Date])-1),4) so that it automatically updates each year. However, this expression does not work. The Last Year check box on the form is greyed out. Why?
Thanks,
Ernie

apr pillai

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 06:49
Remove the square brackets [] appearing around the Date() function. The Str() function is not necessary. The Right() function automatically converts the Year into a string before it extracts the rightmost 4 digits.

In fact you can use the following expression for the same result:
Code:
 ="RecdCard" & Year(Date())-1

When numeric value is concatenated with a string literal the number is automatically converted into a string.

ernielippert

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Apr Pillal,
I entered ="RecdCard" & Year(Date())-1 as you suggested as the Control Source but the check box on the form is still greyed out. I entered the expression in the Immediate Window and it works fine as shown:

a="RecdCard" & Year(Date())-1
?a
RecdCard2011

Thnks for your help.
Ernie

ernielippert

Registered User.
Local time
The Control Source equation should be =Form("RecdCard" & Year(Date())-1).
regards,
Ernie

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom