Copy information from one form to multiple tables. (1 Viewer)

AndyJ234

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:55
Hello all,

I'm pretty new to access and am trying to form a database for my work. I was wondering if I can create one form that contains names, address, phone #'s, e-mail etc. and then has check box offices if they apply to a certain table (ex: A Members table or mailing list table) So that once I fill in all the general info, I could then click on a members checkbox and it would copy the general(name, address, etc) info into the members table as well as a general table.

Thanks for any answers.

Maybe i'm going about designing this all wrong but I wondered if I could do it like this.

HiTechCoach

Local time
Hello all,

I'm pretty new to access and am trying to form a database for my work. I was wondering if I can create one form that contains names, address, phone #'s, e-mail etc. and then has check box offices if they apply to a certain table (ex: A Members table or mailing list table) So that once I fill in all the general info, I could then click on a members checkbox and it would copy the general(name, address, etc) info into the members table as well as a general table.

Thanks for any answers.

Maybe i'm going about designing this all wrong but I wondered if I could do it like this.

You should only store information in one place. You would generally avoid doing this:

... copy the general(name, address, etc) info into the members table as well as a general table.

You mailing list table should link back to the Members table with a junction table.

A really great example is this:
Contacts -- Names, Addresses, Phones, eMail, Websites, Notes

AndyJ234

Registered User.
Local time

HiTechCoach

Local time
Well if I wasn't going to avoid doing this is there a way?

Thanks for the help.

I am sure there is a way if you really want to do it.

You could use an Append query.
or
You could use a recordset.

Both of these methods can be used to create records.

dreamz

Is God Like
Local time
Today, 23:55
yes it's wrong to do that.....blah blah blah

but if u were to do it... As Hi tech coach said... Append query works. Then create a macro that runs the append query... and your check box will run the macro. HTH

Mike375

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 08:55
Append queries rule. Append queries in conjunction with Delete queries are King:D

A couple of pointers

1) Go back to HiTechCoach's post....that is, consider what you are doing and is there an easier way.

2) If that does not suit then search on parameter queries and forms.

AndyJ234

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks all. I think i'm going to go the way of the append query!

AndyJ234

Registered User.
Local time
Is there a way to make that append query add just the one record and not every record in the database?

HiTechCoach

Local time
Is there a way to make that append query add just the one record and not every record in the database?

You can create a record with an append query using this syntax:

Code:
INSERT INTO tblYourTable (longField1, TestField2) Values ( 1, "two")

AndyJ234

Registered User.
Local time
Where would I put that code in at??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom