Count of "true" in a crosstab (1 Viewer)

DBrodin

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:36
I have a convention registration database I put together several years ago. In my check-in form I was using a Combo box to select between Yes and Null for setting my "Present" field. This was prone to errors by my registration volunteers so I changed it to a check box. That change broke all my reports. I have a crosstab sub-query that gave me a count of the number of delegates and alternates present for each district. The count depended upon having a Null value for not present. Check boxes do not allow Null, and the count picks up both the yes and the no values. I'll be darned if I can come up with a way to tweek the existing reports/queries so they give me a count of Present = True.

Thanks in advance for any help

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 09:36
A boolean field can have three values - known as triple state

1 Null/Blank
2 True/Yes/On
3 False/No/Off

In theory both 1 and 3 are not True/Yes/On, so to check for not true

<> True will thow up option 1 and 3
= True will filter out option 2

I have a tendancy that when I create a boolean field I set a default value of either True or False depending on the situation at the time for that field.

Thus reducing the option to being either True or False.

DBrodin

Registered User.
Local time
A boolean field can have three values - known as triple state

1 Null/Blank
2 True/Yes/On
3 False/No/Off

In theory both 1 and 3 are not True/Yes/On, so to check for not true

<> True will thow up option 1 and 3
= True will filter out option 2

I have a tendancy that when I create a boolean field I set a default value of either True or False depending on the situation at the time for that field.

Thus reducing the option to being either True or False.

That almost makes sense. Where I get lost is that it looks to me like triple state can be set in the form properties, but not in the table properties. Since my report is counting the non-null values in the table, I still am getting a count of both yes and no.
BTW,
I worked out a kluge work around. I added a second Present field to my table, then added a UponUpdate entry to the check box properties that sets the value of Present2 = "Yes" if the box is checked. After that is was just a matter of redoing my reports to count Present2 instead of Present.

DCrake

Remembered
Local time
Today, 09:36
Let me take a look at your app I may be able to help you with it.

DBrodin

Registered User.
Local time
Let me take a look at your app I may be able to help you with it.

I have it working with my kluge, and I have a convention on the 12th that I have to have it functional for, so for now I'll leave it alone.

I do want to clean-up my design. I have a lot of kluges I've used because I couldn't come up with a simple solution for things I'm sure there are more elegant ways of doing than mine. What would I need to give you after I'm done with it for the spring convention season?

Thanks,

Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom