Counting Unique entries (1 Viewer)

hazell

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:24
Good Morning,
I have a database which records the number of people who attend a number of different sessions in a week, and I have a query which counts the number of people who attend the sessions in a quarter. This gives me the total number of attendees, but I also need to count the number of individual people - some people go to more than one event. I think I need some sort of DCount expression, but am not sure where to put it. I have two tables that I am using - one called People and one called Provision. the Provision table selects the attendees from the People table. Any ideas?
thanks

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:24
I think you need 3 tables, tblPeople, tblSessions and tblSessionsPeople.

With this arrangement your query would be simple.

I think I would put the session date in tblSessionsPeople, but would need more info to be sure.

hazell

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:24
I think I made an error when I set this db up, because I thought I was being clever in using multi-values to select the people who attended the provision. now it is making creating the queries really really difficult. I can get a list of people who attended each provision, but it is one long string seperated by commas. I don't seem to be able to get the query to treat these as seperate pieces of info, if you know what I mean. Any ideas?

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:24
Bearing in mind that I have never use Multi value fields because the general consensus when they came out was that they would be problematic and it was best to avoid them. However I do understand that some people have use them successfully I have this inkling there is some code on Allen Browne site for using them. In my opinion you would be better off going for a design without them.

Feature
Multi-valued fields http://allenbrowne.com/Access2007.html

Good
Easy for beginner to choose multiple values in field.

Bad
The relational structure behind multi-valued fields is not accessible.
Developers will find it harder to handle complex data types. Any generic procedure you write must be capable of handling fields that contain fields. You cannot use a table with a multi-valued field in an IN clause (i.e. in another database.)
Problems with filters - kb 926701

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 14:24
use the fieldName.Value in your query.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom