Couple of questions about Form Image Controls (1 Viewer)

InstructionWhich7142

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:37
Access 2010 - split front end and back end,

First Question:
When I have the Control Source set to a field, does this override the Picture Type formatting option? From normally Embedded and set it to Linked even though the dropdown in Format still says embedded?

Second question:
(I can handle this with validation but) If users enter an IP address (when they're accessing via a VPN and RDP) into the image path instead of one of our servers names, the form takes 30 seconds to time out on my PC and more like 60 seconds on some users PCs because the server can't find an image using it's external IP,
What controls this timeout? and is there a way I can set or manage this so it doesn't make access unresponsive? (I know I can validate the data in the field and if an image is missing on our server it gets an instant negative response so it doesn't hang) but if there was some connectivity issue it'd be better to display an error instead of just hanging,

Thanks,

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:37
Hi. Just a guess, but:

Q1: If you don't see anywhere in your db where the images are unexpectedly getting stored (embedded), then I would also agree the Format setting is not being used.

Q2: My guess is this setting is in Windows. For example, Access sends a request to the OS to locate a network resource, the OS responds, "here it is" or "here it isn't" (quick when it can find it right away, even if it's missing). But, if the OS cannot locate a network share, it waits a while for a response from the external source, and after a set period, it times out and then responds to Access with an error.

InstructionWhich7142

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:37
We have a similar issue with Outlook 2010 freezing with linked images sometimes, I wonder what this setting it and how to control it because it would solve a number of issues!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom