Create a Sharepoint List from VBA (1 Viewer)

Coxylaad

Local time
Today, 01:18
Hi Everyone,
I'm looking for a bit of advice, I am planning to smarten up our timesheet entry process at work, and integrating it into my new access database.

The plan is to have a sharepoint folder for each field engineer, and on the click of a button access will create a blank custom list for each week with the fields I require.
The engineers then fill there details in as they go, and when the time comes I will pull down the information back into the database to review and report on.

The theory is great, the practical side has me stumped. I cant find any examples where someone has created and published a blank sharepoint custom list in VBA

Anyone got any ideas?

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:18
The theory is great, [...]
No, the theory is not great at all. Quite the opposite.
This is the same as if you would create a new database table for each user and for each week. - A huge no-no in database design.
Why don't you create just one Sharepeoint list? User and date can be attributes of each record in the list.

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 20:18
As a follow-up to Sonic8's response, Sharepoint makes a viable solution as a Back-End (BE) to Access. ONE list is all you need to ID the employess just like you would in Access; treat each list as you would a table in your DB and you will be pleased with the results.

Coxylaad

Local time
Today, 01:18
I get that. and I am aware of what I was trying to do, the issue I was trying to avoid was the engineers being able to see all their data, as well as every piece of data every other engineer has uploaded also.

So approaching this from the other end, if I create a sharepoint list to contain all timesheet entries can I constrain the engineers to just be able to see only their data, and only for a specific week on their sharepoint on app on their phones?

NauticalGent

Ignore List Poster Boy
Local time
Yesterday, 20:18
So approaching this from the other end, if I create a sharepoint list to contain all timesheet entries can I constrain the engineers to just be able to see only their data, and only for a specific week on their sharepoint on app on their phones?
Absolutly, as you would from an Access table. That being said, once you give them permissons to the site, they would be able to access that site from any web browser and therefore see the complete list.

If there is a way to restrict what they can see (I'm sure there is) I am nto aware of it. Google is your friend! There is a member (Banana) here with immense knowledge on Sharepoint who may be able to assist. I have tagged him so hopefully we can respond.

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 02:18
if I create a sharepoint list to contain all timesheet entries can I constrain the engineers to just be able to see only their data, and only for a specific week on their sharepoint on app on their phones?
I don't know the Sharepoint app, but in general you can define filtered views on Sharepoint lists. These filters can limit the displayed items to those created by the current user and within a date range (e.g., current week).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom