Question Creating a Database "Front-End" (1 Viewer)

tstarkie

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 03:17
Hey All,

I'm currently trying to build a new database (2010) to hold customer info at work. In my old job, we had a similar database on an older version of Access, but when you initially started Access up you got a login screen, and then a welcome homepage once sucessfully logged in... You didn't see any of the top ribbon, or any of the navigation panes showing tables and queries etc. Only the forms and reports which were retrievable via buttons on the homepage form... The only way to get into the "back-end" so to speak was to shift+enter at the initial login screen.

I'd like to create a similar thing with my new database, but cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it. Being honest, I'm not good with VB or codes, and am just learning the basics of macros. I HAVE however sucessfully created all of the forms/tables/queries etc. for my database and have a fully functional homepage form with every other form working sucessfully off of it. I have also created a login page which comes up as the initial form when you first open Access; and a linked table with the employee usernames & passwords in...

Where I'm struggling is A. creating the macro that enables the login screen to be used properly, and B. making the database only show what I want my employees to see, i.e. the "front-end" forms, and not all of the extra editing bits along with it? (I don't want anyone to have the opportunity to screw up all of my hard work!)

If anyone has any ideas they can throw my way it'd be really appreciated :) Thanks

oumahexi

Free Range Witch
Local time
There's a starter on how to create an autoexec macro in the Videos on the home page for Access World.

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
Yesterday, 21:17
You do not need an AutoMacro to have a form load when the database is opened. Design your form and go to File/Options/Current Database and from the "Display form:" combo box, select the form you want to have open when you open your database file.

tstarkie

Registered User.
Local time
Hi,
I've already changed the settings so that the "login form" is the first to load when opening the database, the trouble is all you need to do is close the dialog box to be able to bypass it and go into everything...

I would really like a way to hide all of the settings ribbon and tables etc. from all users bar myself to see. If I change it in the settings to hide these, everytime I open the database I have to change the settings back again in order to edit. I'd like to be able to have it hidden for everyone at all times, except for when I use the shift-enter to login.. does this make sense?

shutzy

Registered User.
Local time
i use access runtime. its free and you can install it on as many different desktops as you like and run the same database. on access runtime you cant see any ribbons or tables just the opening form. you cant even select a different form without using buttons. the only thing i have found with access runtime is that the fonts i chose dont seen to display and i cant find out which fonts are compatible.

you have to change the file extension to .accdr from .accdb but if you need to make any changes to the tables or any aspect then you can just change it back to .accdb and open it in access 2010.

hth

tstarkie

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Shutzy,
Thanks for your advice - I've downloaded and tried what you suggested (save as filetype etc.) but the Access 2010 always takes over as the primary system to run the file in - even if I attempt to save as a different filetype?

I'm wary as to whether this is the most efficent way of doing this, as surely it would mean that everytime I want to make a change to the database (which atm is alot) I'd have to keep changing the filename back and forth? :(
Thnks

shutzy

Registered User.
Local time
no sorry you misunderstood. dont save as a different file type. im not sure if you are able to see the file extensions. when you see you file in its folder do you see example. databasename or do you see databasename.accdb. if its the first then you need to change your settings in control panel. if its the second then you need to change it to databasename.accdr. if you need help on being able to view file extensions follow this link

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/show-or-hide-file-name-extensions

let me know if you need anything else.

i think that this way is very efficient. all you have to do is change 1 letter in the file name to make the table etc dissapear.

shutzy

Registered User.
Local time
another suggestion would be to split the database but you get the ribbon and im not 100% sure but i think you will get the navigation for the forms but an solution to that would be to change each forms properties to not display the navigation.

tstarkie

Registered User.
Local time
OK thanks - Yes seems to be the settings in control panel as to why it wouldn't let me change - apparantly a W7 default to 'hide' known file extentions... I'll give that another go! Fingers crossed :) Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom