Creating a from template in Access 2007 (1 Viewer)

suepowell

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:53
HI,

I'm expereinced in Access from 97 to 2003, but just starting the change to 2007.

Generally it seems fine, just the usual "where have they put that command" you always get with a new version.

I want to set up a form template, using my prefered fonts, sizes etc, as I quite like the create form from a table command.

My question is what do I have to do to set up my own template, and how do I tell Access to use it. My first attempt caused access to crash so I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Thanks in anticipation.

Sue

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:53
You don't say whether you've tried methods you've used in the previous versions or not, so I'll list the "how tos" for ACC2000-2003. Maybe it'll be compatible with 2007.

Create and save a form utilizing all the elements you're interested in. From Design View for the form, goto Format - AutoFormat and click on "Customize." Now check the radio button for "Create a new AutoFormat based on YourFormName." You'll be asked to give the AutoFormat a name, then you're done.

Now, anytime you want to use this same formatting for a form, from the Form Wizard select the AutoFormat, or from form Design View goto Format - AutoFormat and select the AutoFormat you want to use. And here's the best part, you can do this to a form you've already created using another formatting, and it will change that form 's formatting to the newly chosen AutoFormat!

Good luck!

suepowell

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks,

Thats nearly there, and will certainly make my life easier.

For info
In Access 2007 the format menu on the ribbon appears when you are in layout mode, or when you are in design mode there is no format menu, the formatting is there on the ribbon, and the autoformat is on the right hand end of the ribbon. Your new format doesn't appear on the list, but if you go to the wizard you can find and apply it.

I was hoping to set it up as a template to be used automatically, but even though I have set the new format in the access options (as I used to to in tools on 2003 ) it doesn't work when I use the create form from table button, so there's another step I don't know about yet.

Still your suggestion will really speed up my form writing so thanks again.

Sue

missinglinq

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:53
What exactly is the "create form from table button?" Has it replaced the "Create form by using Wizard" option of earlier versions?

suepowell

Registered User.
Local time
HI .

No the create form from wizard is still there, but access 2007, like all the 2007 office programs looks completely different.
It now has a ribbon, rather than menus and it has got lots of new tools to do things quickly. I tend to use these to do the rough production of forms etc, then tidy them up and do the clever bits myself.

The other big change is that the menus have changed significantly, so you can't find commands you used to use where they used to be. Annoying but you can get there in the end.

I have attached a screen shot of the new create ribbon. I quite like it because you just select a table then press this button and its all there ready for you to sort out.

I run 2000, 2003 and 2007 because I have clients using the different versions. I would'nt say you must change cos is't so much better you can't do without it, but I would also say it seems to be fine with just a bit of culture change, so don't be too worried if you need to change.

One note of caution though, if you want to run 2007 and previous versions on the same PC, you can't, microsoft's suggestion is to run a virtual PC to run the older versions on. This means you need a pretty good PC spec to cope (mine's new and runs Vista with Xp in virtual mode) and is a pest to keep changing, but if you are supporting several versions you have to do this.

Hope this all makes sense and is of some use.
Thanks for your help.

Sue

Attachments

• ribbon.jpg
    ribbon.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 937

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom