Creating new queries and reports (1 Viewer)

MarySan1

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 11:03
I am trying to create a new query and a new report in my database. The program will not let me. The "new" is grayed out. Can anyone help me? :confused:

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 04:03
What version of Access? What OS? Anyone else in the db at the same time? Did it ever work? Is it an MDB or MDE?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:03
Did you join a workgroup file? Does your workgroup account have permission to create a new form or report?

MarySan1

Registered User.
Local time
I am using Access 2003, Sp1 OS is XP professional no one else in databsae, Yes it worked before and it is a mdb

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Thanks. Can you make new tables or forms or reports or modules or is *everything* new dimmed out? Are you missing any references?

MarySan1

Registered User.
Local time
yes, everything is dimmed out. Even forms. I dont know what reference I should be looking for

Last edited:

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Are there any missing references? Is the MDB write protected? Make a backup and try a Detect and Repair under Help.

MarySan1

Registered User.
Local time
i dont know what refrence I should be looking for.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Can you get to a code page? If so then go to Tools>References and see what is checked and look for a checked item that says MISSING. Un-check it.

MarySan1

Registered User.
Local time
Okay, I appreciate your help, because I am very new at this. I have some knowledge of what you are talking about but I really dont understand much about objects & references. So, I will let you know what my program is saying. I can get to the global code, (1st thing I noticed is that in the dialog box which has the name of my databas, next to it is says (read only) in my database properties, it is not checked as read only) Okay, I go to global code, I click on tools-refrences, a box comes up and says: You cant make changes to the database objects in the database. c:\ FILEA NAME This database was created in an earlier version of access. to cnvert the database to the current version, of access, close the database point to databse utlitites on the tools menu & then click to convert. If i click the ok button in the box, the available refrences comes up. Here is what is checked off:
visual basic for applications
microsoft access 11.0 object library
ikonic button control module
microsoft forms 2.0 object library
OLE automation
microsoft visual basic for applications extensibility 5.3

do you think it would be best for me to make a back up of this database and follow the instructions about converting to new version? One of the things that bothers me is that in the propeties of the database it is not checked for read only, but the global code box says that it is. I can add orders & info to the database everyday. It just wont let me create new forms & such. And also, if I open a query, I can change it in design view and print it, but it does not let me save the criteria.

I hope you can help.

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Everything you are seeing is as expected. Backup your db and then convert it to at least 2000. I suspect it is an ac97 mdb. What version of Access are you using?

MarySan1

Registered User.
Local time
yes, it is 97. Now I have Office 2003. Another question, when I convet the db to 2003, I should be able to create new forms & queries,& reports?

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
The answer to your question is yes. There is another issue. Will anyone else be using this MDB and if so what version of Access do they have? Will you be making an MDE out of this MDB?

MarySan1

Registered User.
Local time
no one else will be using the database. whats the difference between an MDB and and an MDE? is that an extension of the database? why would I need to do that?

RuralGuy

AWF VIP
Local time
Just converting should be fine then. An MDE strips out the source code so that prying minds can not see!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom