Crosstab Queries in SQL Server (1 Viewer)

RogerCooper

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 16:06
I need to run a crosstab query directly in SQL Server (the query is being executed through a website). In Access this is easy enough

Code:
TRANSFORM Sum(dbo_HISTORY.NET_SALES) AS SumOfNET_SALES
SELECT dbo_HISTORY.CUSTOMER_NAME
FROM dbo_HISTORY
GROUP BY dbo_HISTORY.CUSTOMER_NAME
PIVOT dbo_HISTORY.YEAR;

In SQL Server I can do this

Code:
SELECT CUSTOMER_NAME, [2017], [2018],[2019],[2020], [2021], [2022]
FROM   
(SELECT CUSTOMER_NAME, YEAR, NET_SALES
FROM [SPEC_MIS].DBO.HISTORY) p 
PIVOT 
( 
SUM (NET_SALES) 
FOR YEAR IN 
( [2017], [2018], [2019], [2020], [2021], [2022] ) 
) AS pvt 
ORDER BY pvt.CUSTOMER_NAME;

But I want to determine the column headings from the data, rather than my having to change the query every year. How can I do this in SQL Server?

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 16:06
One thing I have done with some success is to:

1) determine the distinct [Year values, in your case] values present and built them up to a literal string of '[' + value + ']' (etc etc, use String_Agg)
2) tie it all together using dynamic SQL.

I don't have an example right now as I've only done this at my current job and can't copy/paste between my virtual screen and this one unfortunately for security reasons and can't find the snippet for even a screenshot, but you can hopefully see how it can work

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:06
Dynamic SQL is required. I have built very complex transform queries using the technique Isaac describes.

The key to it is to use a query to write the SQL. Here is a start to give you the idea.

Code:
DECLARE @SQL nvarchar(max)

@SQL = 'SELECT CUSTOMER_NAME, '

SELECT DISTINCT 
      @SQL = @SQL + '[' + CONVERT(varchar(4), [YEAR]) + '] ' + ', '
FROM 
      [SPEC_MIS].DBO.HISTORY)
ORDER BY
      [YEAR]

@SQL = LEFT(@SQL, LEN(@SQL)-1) + ' FROM '
etc

Since you are going to use the list of years again in the query, you could build that string and reuse it.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 07:06
source:
Pivot dynamic column names – SQLServerCentral Forums

Code:
DECLARE @col VARCHAR(1000)

DECLARE @sql VARCHAR(2000)

SELECT @col = COALESCE(@col + ', ','') + QUOTENAME(YEAR) from HISTORY Group by YEAR

Set @sql='select * from (select CUSTOMER_NAME, YEAR, NET_SALES from HISTORY ) src PIVOT (sum(NET_SALES) FOR YEAR IN ('+@col+')) pvt'

EXEC(@sql)
sql.png

Last edited:

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 09:06
EXEC(@sql)
BTW When executing dynamic sql on a query that will be run repeatedly, consider using the system procedure sp_executesql instead. The difference is that the system procedure will save the query plan.

Even though it is dynamic sql, the query optimiser can recognise the structure of a similar query.

Not going to make a noticeable difference in this case but can be very significant for a complex query on a busy server.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom