.CSV Import question (1 Viewer)

H

HaRp3r

Automated .CSV Import question

Hi all, am hoping you can help me out with this problem. I have a large number of .csv files in a folder that i need to import into a new db, with a new .csv file being added to this folder every 30 minutes. The filename's of each .csv are different so i need a macro to import everything that is already there and from that point to append the newly created files into the db as an automated job every 30 minutes.

I have tried using wildcards in the filename of a macro but the file cannot be found, am hoping there is a way to get around this in someway.

Am quite new to macro's/vb in Access so any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,
HaRp3r

Last edited:

Johnvandamme

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 23:49
the heaviest but fastest way would be this :

import the csv each time name TBL_WT (worktable)
perform a unmatch query with the db data
append this data to the DB data
Empty the TBL_WT
Job done !

Good luck with it.

John

gbshahaq

Sham
Local time
Today, 07:49
you could try the following (adapted from a routine i use to import all Excel files from a given folder including subfolders)

Strictly speaking, you don't need a temp table, as import to an existing table does an append by default - but as a cautionary step it's a good idea.
Just add the code to clear the table first, run the code below to do the import and then run the append query from the VBA.

Code:
Sub ImportManyItems

Dim vaFileName As Variant, myDir As String

myDir = "\\server\files\folderx\"

With Application.FileSearch
    .NewSearch
    .LookIn = myDir
    .FileType = msoFileTypeAllFiles
    .SearchSubFolders = True
    If .Execute > 0 Then
        For Each vaFileName In .FoundFiles
        DoCmd.TransferText acImportDelim, myspecname, mytbl, vaFileName
        Next
    End If
End With

End Sub

H

HaRp3r

Many thanks to you both, i will try this out as soon as i get the opportunity to work on the DB itself....lots of other work needs doing aswell :(

Will no doubt have more questions to ask still heh :)

arstacey

Local time
Today, 01:49
Newb here so be kind! :)

What does the line .FileType = msoFileTypeAllFiles mean? I added this code to a push button on a form and get this error:

Run-time error '5':

Invalid procedure call or argument

I am trying to import csv files so should I replace msoFileTypeAllFiles with something that says only to import csv's?

gbshahaq

Sham
Local time
Today, 07:49
arstacey said:
Newb here so be kind! :)

What does the line .FileType = msoFileTypeAllFiles mean? I added this code to a push button on a form and get this error:

Run-time error '5':

Invalid procedure call or argument

I am trying to import csv files so should I replace msoFileTypeAllFiles with something that says only to import csv's?

The line tells the application which filetypes (extensions) to filter in the search box - there is no option for csv or text files - so msoFileTypeAllFiles means just that - it will display all file types.
An alternative you could try is to leave it out and substitute with:

Code:
.FileName = "*.csv"

which will then filter by the name, where filename ends with ".csv"

H

HaRp3r

Finally got chance to work on this some more :)

Shammy, that worked a treat and saved me many hours of manual imports so many thanks :)

Now for next little problem - getting it to work automatically with a timer.

Ideally this is how i want this to work, bearing in mind that every 30 minutes a new file is created with a slightly different filename which then needs to be imported aswell, once running the DB will not be shut down very often;

DB starts, main form opens and import code runs once, then repeats every 30 minutes

The main form is very simple, having only a few buttons to run queries & reports and minimal formatting, therefore is it possible to run the timer event/timer interval from this form, or is a 2nd form required?

Here is the slightly edited code provided by shammy so you can see exactly what i have so far;

Code:
Sub ImportManyItems()

Dim vaFileName As Variant, myDir As String

myDir = "\\myserver\Teleconnectdata\Reports\SIFT"

With Application.FileSearch
    .NewSearch
    .LookIn = myDir
    .FileName = "*.csv"
    .SearchSubFolders = False
        If .Execute > 0 Then
        For Each vaFileName In .FoundFiles
        DoCmd.SetWarnings False
        DoCmd.TransferText acImportDelim, "SIFT_2006_ Import Specification", "SIFT_2006_main", vaFileName
        DoCmd.SetWarnings True
        Next
    End If
End With

End Sub

Everytime i try to add a Form_Timer or specify TimerInterval in Form_Load i get various errors :confused: so currently they are set as event procedures in the form properties.

Any and all help/suggestions appreciated :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom