Daily Planner (1 Viewer)

mgmercurio

Local time
Yesterday, 19:27
Can someone point in the right direction of getting information about building a daily planner? All I want to do is build one Form called MyDay and be displayed in 3 different sections (with 3 different sub-forms if needed)
1. A calendar view section ( or sub-form) that shows the days of the week/month (depending on the view I select) along with any appts, I have scheduled for that day.

2. A task section (or sub-form) that shows all the "to do's" I have to do for that day. I already have two tables a. tbl_AccountActivities (showing tasks needed to be done for that account along with a due date and completed check box) b.tbl_OpportunityActivities (showing tasks needed to be done for each opportunity along with a due date and completed check box) both of these tables are imbedded on another form - My Dashboard in the form of datasheet sub-forms and they work perfectly.

3. A section that shows the "to do's" (or sub-form) I have planned for the week and the following week. This is to help me plan out the week and following week of upcoming tasks.

I guess this solution would closely resemble the Outlook Task and Calendar function.

Heck...If I could just bring my Outlook into Access and plop it on a form...I would love to do that also...but I can't figure that one out either....

Anyway...
All I need from the group of experts on here...is to show me where to go to do some research and find examples of what others have implemented. I have looked all over the Internet and other forums and I have not really found anything like the above outline. I have found a lot of calendars...and a lot of "employee schedulers" but that isn't really the answer...

Any ideas from the group would be appreciated.

Thank you
-mgm

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 16:27
Hmm, have you checked if there's a MS template for it?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Why not use Outlook?

mgmercurio

Local time
Yep DBGuy I have check the templates for it...but not really finding anything. Pat, I would like to use Outlook if I could drop it in on my form...Im trying to keep all my tools in one place... even with that said, Outlook doesn't have a way for me to track my activities on specific client accounts or client opportunities. I have those tables built in the DB and would generate the activity list (tasks / to-do's) from those tables.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
See the full Hibbs solution

mgmercurio

Local time
Thank you MajP. This was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again!
-mgm

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
A task section (or sub-form) that shows all the "to do's" I have to do for that day. I already have two tables a. tbl_AccountActivities (showing tasks needed to be done for that account along with a due date and completed check box) b.tbl_OpportunityActivities (showing tasks needed to be done for each opportunity along with a due date and completed check box) both of these tables are imbedded on another form - My Dashboard in the form of datasheet sub-forms and they work perfectly.

Are you planning to have a separate view for each account? Unfortunately the db was configured for a single calendar for a single user. It would have been good if the activity table had a foreign key so that you could have seperate views for different things (People, accounts, whatever.)

I was going to try to actually demo this when I added my year view. I have spent some time with this code if you saw my addition of a year view and daily "categories" so I know what needs to be modified. The code is very well enscapsulated so modifying it will not take much time, but it is relatively involved and requires some digging to see how it works. If you need help and want to use this calendar, get back to me I think I can easily modify it to handle multiple "views" for each account. This is what would need to get done in my mind
1) Requires a foreign key on the table of activities. To identify what "view" (Person, Activity)
2) Requires a filter on load of the activities to filter to the selected "account"
3) Requires modification of the "create" to add the foreign key to the table for the specific view, "account"

The year view calendar I had was designed to show individual calendars for many employees. After I added to Peter Hibbs calendar, I realized I would have to modify this calendar code if I wanted to do something similar. I just never got to it. So I have already thought about how to do it.

mgmercurio

Local time
Are you planning to have a separate view for each account? Unfortunately the db was configured for a single calendar for a single user. It would have been good if the activity table had a foreign key so that you could have seperate views for different things (People, accounts, whatever.)

I was going to try to actually demo this when I added my year view. I have spent some time with this code if you saw my addition of a year view and daily "categories" so I know what needs to be modified. The code is very well enscapsulated so modifying it will not take much time, but it is relatively involved and requires some digging to see how it works. If you need help and want to use this calendar, get back to me I think I can easily modify it to handle multiple "views" for each account. This is what would need to get done in my mind
1) Requires a foreign key on the table of activities. To identify what "view" (Person, Activity)
2) Requires a filter on load of the activities to filter to the selected "account"
3) Requires modification of the "create" to add the foreign key to the table for the specific view, "account"

The year view calendar I had was designed to show individual calendars for many employees. After I added to Peter Hibbs calendar, I realized I would have to modify this calendar code if I wanted to do something similar. I just never got to it. So I have already thought about how to do it.
This will be setup for a single user running locally on their machine along with Outlook. I really like the way this is put together and I especially like your mods...I think it greatly improves the functionality. The only thing I see that could use some improvement is the ability to schedule recurring appts / tasks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom