DAO to ADO (1 Viewer)

Swannie

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 22:56
I'm looking to convert a database written in Access '97 to 2000 and I'm having problems understanding the concepts of ADO as I've always used DAO methods in the past.

Can someone post a quick Idiot's Guide to help, or point me to a decent link?

Cheers in advance...

Swannie

Last edited:

chrismcbride

Registered User.
Local time
If there is no specific reason to change over to ADO, I don't think you need to bother. I recently started the same for a 97 to XP conversion, and it has proved to be reasonably time consuming. I did a bit of trolling on the various newsgroups and forums and found that most of the replies suggested the change to ADO was not required or even advised. I went ahead as I suspect a later change to SQL Server is in the offig.
If you chose to go ahead, start with M$. There are a number of good tutorials under conversion and/or ADO. Also try comp.databases.ms-access. When the boys here behave themselves, they are quite informed.
If you have specific questions, re-post and I (or others will respond)

Good Luck!
Chris

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
I'm in the same boat, so to speak, and need to convert an Access 97 Database to 2000 soon (SQL Server is on the horizon) so would appreciate help on understanding ADO as it totally confounds me...

chrismcbride

Registered User.
Local time
I am not sure that I am the person to ask at the moment. After posting my reply to this message yesterday, I began some serious testing on my A XP version. I had converted all the DAO references to ADO, compiled and split the application. Then I deployed the BE onto my server and began testing. The app began to crap out regularly. You know the "Microsoft Access has encountered a problem and needs to close....".
I had this error 3 times in a hour and a half and two occasions when the db simply closed when I chose to switch the form view from Design to Form view.
Now I don't have any real idea what is going on, but these are the things I am going to try today.
1. I have both A97 and A XP on my machine at the moment (for develpment purposes). So I will try to remove 97 and XP then re-install XP.
2. I log onto my netword passively, so that may be an issue. I will add a domain user account to my laptop to see if this helps.
3. I will finally try to run the app up-split to see if it runs better. Up until now I have always run it this way as it is under constant development and the split format is awkward.
If all this fails, I guess I will have to go back to the DAO version, and try all of the above on that version...
One of the peoply who responded to my initial queries about making the conversion from DAO to ADO said that M$ did not recommend it for existing apps. Maybe I should have listened to them for a change!
Chris

Mile-O

Back once again...
Local time
I've tried using Access 2000 on my work PC and have been unable to create the line:

Dim db as Database

or Dim db as DAO.Database

It only accepts:

Dim cnn as ADODB.Connection

I tried this on my laptop too which has Access XP installed and, again, I can only seem to get

Dim cnn as ADODB.Connection

Using a connection would be no problem to me, the biggest problem is understanding ADO.

chrismcbride

Registered User.
Local time
You will need to set a reference to the DAO library in order to use DAO objects. This happens automatically when you convert an earlier db that has this reference. But it is not added to a new DB on either XP or 2K.
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom