Solved DAO to update records (1 Viewer)

Kayleigh

Local time
Today, 16:53
Hi, Trying to code a function which finds the record selected in listbox and sets fldDefault as True. Also resets existing fldDefault to False (if different from current selection).
Here is my code - not sure how to continue...
Code:
Private Sub cmdDefault_Click()
Dim X As Integer
    Dim i As Variant
    Dim DBS As DAO.Database
    Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
    Dim td As DAO.TableDef

Set DBS = CurrentDb

Set td = DBS.TableDefs!jtblStaffRoles
    Set rst = td.OpenRecordset(dbOpenDynaset)

For Each i In Me.lstSelectedPositions.ItemsSelected

rst.FindFirst "fldStaffPositionID = " & Me.lstSelectedPositions.ItemData(i) & " And fldStaffID = " & Me.fldStaffID
        If Not rst.fldDefaultPosition = True Then
            rst!fldDefaultPosition = True
        End If

Debug.Print Me.lstSelectedPositions.ItemData(i)
        On Error Resume Next
        rst.Update

Next i

rst.Close
    Set rst = Nothing
    Set td = Nothing
    Me.Refresh

Exit Sub
End Sub

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:53
If the listbox is not multiselect, then the value of the listbox is the same as the first column of the item selected.

Code:
   Set rst = currentdb.OpenRecordset("select * from jtblStaffRoles where fldStaffPositionID = " & Me.lstSelectedPositions)
   rst.edit   
   rst.Update

Kayleigh

Local time
Well in this situation a multi-select would not be useful as I would only like one record to be set as default for each staff member. So I guess it would listbox is not multi-select...

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 08:53
Well in this situation a multi-select would not be useful as I would only like one record to be set as default for each staff member. So I guess it would listbox is not multi-select...
In that case, as @Cronk said, the value of the Listbox is the same as the selected item.

Kayleigh

Local time
So I have adjusted it according to @Cronk 's suggestion however when run a syntax error is flagging the query...
Also how do I include in code that original record marked fldDefault = True is changed to false?

My code:
Code:
Private Sub cmdDefault_Click()
Dim X As Integer
    Dim i As Variant
    Dim DBS As DAO.Database
    Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
    Dim td As DAO.TableDef

Set DBS = CurrentDb

Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("select * from jtblStaffRoles where fldStaffPositionID = " & Me.lstSelectedPositions)
   rst.Edit
   rst.Update

rst.Close
    Set rst = Nothing
    Set td = Nothing
    Me.Refresh

Exit Sub
End Sub

Cronk

Registered User.
Local time
Tomorrow, 01:53
The following lines in your code are superfluous.

Code:
   Set DBS = CurrentDb

On what line does the error occur? (Put a break point at the start of your code and step through it using the F8 key.) Perhaps the field fldStaffPositionID is a string or the first column of your list box is a string.

wvmitchell

Local time
Today, 08:53
Just like to add a few comments... both versions of this should test for a current record e.g. in the first version, after the FindFirst we should use something like

Code:
If Not rst.NoMatch Then
End If

and in the second version, after opening the recordset we should use something like

Code:
If Not (rst.BOF And rst.EOF) Then
End If

I understand that in this particular situation, we might never have a condition where there is no current record, but this is a good coding practice.

Kayleigh

Local time
Thanks for all your help. Works now and I've learnt something on the way!
As usual it was mainly an issue with a misspelled field name:confused:

Kayleigh

Local time
My next question is how to implement a check for fldDefaultPos into the cmdUpdate which adds a new record to table. So if a record is present with fldDefaultPos = True, new record does not set a value to field but if no record exists with fldDefaultPos = True it should set new record accordingly.
Here is my code:
Code:
Private Sub cmdUpdate_Click()

Dim X As Integer
    Dim i As Variant
    Dim DBS As DAO.Database
    Dim rst As DAO.Recordset
    Dim td As DAO.TableDef

Set DBS = CurrentDb

Set rst = td.OpenRecordset

For Each i In Me.lstPossPositions.ItemsSelected
        rst.AddNew
        rst!fldStaffPositionID = Me.lstPossPositions.ItemData(i)
        rst!fldStaffID = Me.fldStaffID

Debug.Print Me.lstPossPositions.ItemData(i)
        On Error Resume Next
        rst.Update

Next i
    rst.Close
    Set rst = Nothing
    Set td = Nothing
    Me.Refresh

Exit Sub

End Sub

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 10:53
it was mainly an issue with a misspelled field name

Yeah, darn don't you hate that....

But on to the next question. I understand WHAT you asked but the answer depends on in which record you find that fldDefaultPos value to be tested. You would get different instructions depending on where that field is found.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
From what you have shown, there is no correlation to your recordset rst that points to that table because if you are adding a record, ALL fields will start life at their default values - which, if not specified, will be null.

The ONLY thing that could even remotely be a source for this would have to be the contents of the listbox you are scanning. Otherwise, the question seems to make no sense (because of its apparent lack of a correlated data source.) What is in the listbox?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
If that is ALL it contains, you have no valid source for the fldDefaultPos that can correlate to your selection. Or at least, from the way you asked the question, I can see no such source. It might actually be there, but I don't see it.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
At this point, since I see no clear-cut connection between the parts you describe, I cannot understand the action you propose. If I can't understand it then I can't help you.

You seem to be trying skip an action for which there is no clear path between this code and the data you require for the decision to be made. Focus on describing this relationship between your intended action and the required decision data. If you can define the relationship more clearly, I might be able to help you. As it is right now, I don't see it.

For what it is worth, I know your problem (from the outside). You can see intuitively that there is some decision you need to make and you know where that decision needs to be made. But I will submit for your consideration that if you can't tell me how you intended to GET the specific information you need in order to MAKE that decision, you don't understand your own problem well enough to be trying to code it yet. I'm trying to be gentle about this, but until you can fill in the missing pieces, I have no clue as to how to help you. Nobody can, until you help yourself by doing a bit more problem analysis in this part of your app.

Let me summarize what I have seen; it might clarify why I'm having such trouble. You are creating new records based on selections made from a list. You want to be able to skip some action for a new record under certain circumstances based on a table where a particular field is kept. The field in question specifies some kind of default option. But you are creating a new record based on a list that only contains one thing, from the looks of it, and that list doesn't appear to be directly related to the table where you are creating the new record. The new record, because it is new, CANNOT have the particular field filled in. More specifically, if there is a default value of TRUE (or FALSE) for the record, then this field in the new record will be invariant and thus there is no decision to be made. IF there is a relationship through the list selection, I can't see is as being unique, so a lookup does not seem to be correct. Unless there is another relationship between records that you haven't disclosed.

This problem could be either one of description (i.e. there IS a path from the list to the table, record, and field in question, you just haven't explained it well) or one of design omission (i.e. you really don't know how to identify the information you wanted to use.)

Kayleigh

Local time
@The_Doc_Man - I appreciate your time to explain my misunderstanding. It is possible that there is a mistake with my design.
I have reproduced the element of the DB which I am currently working on.
The code which I am struggling with is located on the DEfrmAddRoleStaff pop-out form. (Can be accessed by double-clicking on a name in frmRolesManager) Please see the Add Selected Positions command - currently adds selected position to current staff member, but would like to add a check for fldDefaultPos so if false (ie no roles are currently default) it would assign true to field in this record. (Should also have parallel function for the remove selected positions command)
Hope this is clearer to understand with the sample DB.

Attachments

• StaffRolesTest_5.accdb
    788 KB · Views: 462

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom