Data entry form problem (1 Viewer)

Anakardian

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:27
Good afternoon.

I am struggling to get a data entry form to work the way I want it.

Basically I have a number of questions that have been answered by a number of participants.
Still being new with access I have set up the tables and relationships as I believe they should be. I have attached a copy of the this if needed.

The data entry form I need to make consists of a combobox to select the participant and then all the question numbers below together with a box where I can enter the reply.

The standard forms does not allow me to answer all questions in one go but would rather have me select the participant every time.

I thought of using an unbound form and then an append query to trigger after updating the reply field however I appear to be doing something wrong as I fail miserably.

Does anyone have some pointers so can get my head wrapped around this?

Attachments

• Relationship.JPG
    Relationship.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 76

Anakardian

Registered User.
Local time
Hi Gina

I tried to figure out what is going on in the questionnaire response section but it seems I am completely missing something.

I am baffled by the fact that when I look in the design view, I only see a single line but in the form view I see all the lines for that subject.
Looking closer at the fields it seems that the control source is the field I look at. In other words each field controls itself but somehow manages to multiply when in form view.

I tried to set up a similar form copying as many settings as I could find but ended up being stuck on the control source.
In Rogers example there is a dropdown on the control sources but I have not been able to make my form do the same.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:27
You need to start by looking at the Relationships window and seeing how the tables are set up. As for the form, it sounds like it's in Continuous View...

Anakardian

Registered User.
Local time
You know Gina I am starting to feel a bit silly.
I don't know where I got the impression that continuous forms was a button to press but I know I spend a long time looking for such a thing.

Now its just to get it working the right way...

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
No need, we all have looked silly from time to time... Have you gone to Design View of the form and from the Properties window found Default View and changed to Continuous Forms? Though I am still not sure this is correct... but let's see if it gives you what you want.

Anakardian

Registered User.
Local time
Good morning Gina

Yep, thats what I did. While not exactly what I wanted in the first go it seems to be a step in the right direction.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Okay, good. Study the Relationships and Tables in the sample I posted the link to and build on that...

Anakardian

Registered User.
Local time
So now I have been trying to figure out how to make a continous form that will actually show more than one record all day and must admit I am still missing something.
The only difference I can see so far is that I do not have a table of possible responses. I think this should be ok since I am using a number as the score for each question.

I can also see that somehow the responses tables in AYS2000 is automatically updated with all possible questions however I am lost trying to figure out how this is done. I think it has something to do with having a primary key that uses two fields however I am not sure.

I have taken the liberty of attaching the database I have working so far if that would help in giving me a pointer for where to look.

Attachments

• Wokshop analysis.accdb
    636 KB · Views: 60

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
I will look at it a bit later... trying to get a little work done :D

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Okay, I see your issue... The questions should be in there own table and the responses in another. You then use a junction table to link them together. You can use an append query to add the questions to the response table once the person selects a Workshop.

Anakardian

Registered User.
Local time
I think I am getting the picture but will need to think a bit on it. It does sound similar to my first thought of using an append query to record the score of each question for a participant.

GinaWhipp

AWF VIP
Local time
Yes, an APPEND query will work but if each question generates a score you can total that on the fly with a regular query.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom