Data entry (1 Viewer)

sssn

Local time
Today, 16:34
I have a postion tbl where position desc is stored and the unique key is a position control number.Another tbl is the applicant tbl where all applicant info is stored. This has the control# field too to query how many applicants applied for a particular position. when the users enter the applicant data they dont want to enter the control# each time. How can I pull up the controk# from position tbl and then store the value in the app tbl?
Thanks,
Sheela.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:34
If the user doesn't want to enter the control# how would Access "know" what it should be? You can use a combobox so they don't have to type the whole thing, but they at least need to choose something from the combo.

I forsee a larger problem though. Don't you really have a many-to-many relationship between positions and applicants? Can't the same applicant apply for multiple positions? To support this relationship you would need a third table so you could store all the positions applied for, not just one. See the following article for a description of relational db design. http://www.microsoft.com/TechNet/Access/technote/ac101.asp

sssn

Local time
Today, 16:34
Thanks, you are right I think I will change the database design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom