Question Data loss after compact & repair (1 Viewer)

derekburleigh

Local time
Today, 18:06
Hi All,

I have just done a compact and repair on my Access database. Afterwards one of the tables has lost a lot of data (but only one????).

Spookily the table now has exactly 20000 records in it, which makes me think this is some kind of limit, except that I don´t think there are table limits in Access and I have other tables in the database with more than this number of records that are still ok.

Questions:
Is there any way of recovering the data after a compact & repair?

Any ideas why the compact repair would have deleted these records? (It hasn´t happenned with previous compact repairs)

I don´t have a recent backup of the database, but that´s a different problem!!

Rabbie

Super Moderator
Local time
Today, 17:06
very wierd! It sounds like you have a corrupted DB. Have you tried importing the tables to a new clean empty DB? It might also be worth seeing if you havethe same record count if you access the table via a query.

I know it's no help now but it does highlight the importance of regular back-ups. You never know when you will need them

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 17:06
corruption is always a possibility

what C&R does, is rebuilds the dbs as new temporary version, and when it is complete, overwrites the original. It is always a good idea to take a copy of the database before doing anything as destructive as that.

so, i don't think there is anything you can do, and for the future you ought to institute a judicious backup system, to avoid any potential problems

derekburleigh

Local time
Today, 18:06
Hi Rabbie,

Thanks for the suggestions, tried both and still only 20000 records in the offending table.

The backup of the server has been failing for a while and I only noticed when I went to recover the database!! I've fixed the backup problem now but it's too late to help with this problem. Stable doors and horses come to mind!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom