Data Type Mismatch in Criteria Expression (1 Viewer)

MayaMana

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:48
I am working on a database that someone else created and the following expression is being used in a query:

TPT1Date: IIf(Mid([RECV_TPT1],3,1)="-",DateValue([RECV_TPT1]),IIf([RECV_TPT1]="null",Null,IIf(Mid([RECV_TPT1],5,1)="-",DateValue(Mid([RECV_TPT1],6,2) & "/" & Mid([RECV_TPT1],9,2) & "/" & Mid([RECV_TPT1],1,4)),[RECV_TPT1])))

When I try to run the query I get an error message that:
"Data type mismatch in criteria expression."

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 00:48
try putting your expression in a function, and see what happens.

what data type IS tpt1_recv.

I suspect the iif() is not working correctly for the particular value(s) you have.

Can we have an example of the type of values you have?

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Yesterday, 18:48
It has to do with a function call, and most likely from bad data. You have so many, function calls in that thing its going to be hard to debug.

What I would do is make a copy of the query, bring down RECV_TPT1 and gut TPT1Date to this:

TPT1Date: IIf(Mid([RECV_TPT1],3,1)="-", True, False)

It should run fine. However, order by RECV_TPT1 date (both ascending and descending) and look at whats pops to the top. Then make sure that the TPT1Date value is correct for that RECV_TPT1 value.

If nothing jumps out, keep readdingg code to TPT1Date, one function call at the time until you find the offending function call.

However, I'd make a function out of this in a module. That code is so dense, put it in a function and use however much space you need. This has the added benefit off being able to trap the errors easier.

MayaMana

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:48
RECV_TPT1 is set as a text field at the moment.
The data in it is a date format of DD/MON/YY.

plog - I am going to try that now and see what shows up, thank you. I am rusty at this and am trying to help out someone else with a database they inherited.
update: they all seem to work on their own. including the first two IIF's together and the last 2 IIF's. Just not when all 3 IIF's are ran, or the first and the last IIF's are ran together. When the second IIF statement is moved to the end if says "The expression you entered has a function containing the wrong number of arguments."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom