Data Type Mismatch With InStr (1 Viewer)

Matty

...the Myth Buster
Local time
Today, 17:28
Hi,

I'm having some problems with a simple query and it's driving me nuts. The invoice numbers in our system have hyphens in them, and I'm trying to find invoice numbers whose part before the hyphen matches a number I enter. Here's my SQL:

SELECT dbo_NIHB_ClaimLog.InvoiceNum, Left([InvoiceNum],InStr([InvoiceNum],"-")-1) AS InvoiceNumLeft
FROM dbo_NIHB_ClaimLog
WHERE (((dbo_NIHB_ClaimLog.InvoiceNum) Is Not Null) AND ((Left([InvoiceNum],InStr([InvoiceNum],"-")-1))=23316));

I'm getting a "Data Type Mismatch In Criteria Expression" error, and I can't figure out why. I've wrapped a Clng() around the Left() function, but that doesn't help either.

Am I missing something here?

FoFa

Registered User.
Local time
Why not just inclose your 23316 in quotes then?

Matty

...the Myth Buster
Local time
I've tried that, but it doesn't work either. I've tried all the combinations I can think of with and without the Clng(), including putting the criteria in quotes.

If I put a 5 instead of the InStr() function, it seems to work. But since the numbers before the hyphen can vary, I can't hard-code a number into there.

Last edited:

mresann

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 15:28
I've replicated your db and pasted your SQL with absolutely no adjustment. It works perfectly. (In the table field "InvoiceNum", which is a Text field, I put in four records: 23316-3342, 3399-5599880, 2-449855, and 4449550-333). With the WHERE clause, I got the return ("23316"), and when I removed it, I got a return of all four invoice numbers from the left side of the hyphens.

Have you considered creating a new table and testing it on that one? Just put one text field in it and test it like you tested the main table. If this works, there MAY be a corruption issue with your main table.

Matty

...the Myth Buster
Local time
HA! I got it to work, thanks to mresann's suggestion. I use linked SQL Server tables, so to safely mess around with the data in this certain table, I imported it instead of linking it. I re-linked the table and now it works.

I'm just going to have to see what got messed up in the table when I imported it...

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

jbrumbau

Local time
I found this out the hard way, apparently InStr doesn't work in any SQL statements. You can only use "Like" or "Not Like", and only directly from a field, not a derivation of the field such as UCase$([FieldName]).

Another option, if you absolutely must get a character position, is to reroute something to VBA code in your SQL statement. Such as:
CharPOS(Nz([FieldName],""),"-")
Then declare CharPOS as a function with two string arguments in VBA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom