Database Compatibility (1 Viewer)

Wet_Blanket

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:14
I have been recently asked by an Industry Publication to share a database that I have created for my firm. I have requested that they get me a handful of my peers to test out the database and make any suggestions for improvement.

Problem is that I made the database on Access 2003 and it seems like everyone has 2007 or higher. When they launch the database they get errors about the macros.

Is it easy to make a 2003 database compatiable with 2007 or do I have to start from a clean slate?

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
Yesterday, 20:14
First, alghough not related to your specific question, I would ask, "Are you distributiing a "split" database type aplicaiton?." If not, I would strongly suggest that you consider splitting your data base prior to distributiing it to other users. This step is overlooked or ignored by many developers. It is simply good practice to split your database to prevent serious problem down the road.

To resolve the error about macros, have each user click on the "Office Button", the large round button at the upper left corner of Access 2007 and from the menu of options that is presented, click the button at the bottom right labeled: "Access Options".

The "Access Options" dialog form will be presented. From the options on the left side of thie form, click on the "Trust Center" option. From the options presented, click the "Trust Center Settings ..." button to open the "Trust Center" dialog form. From the list of options on the left, click on the "Macro Settings" option and then selected the bottom option: "Enable all macros (not recommended; potentially dangerous code can run)" option.

Users should also click on the "Trusted Locations" option in the "Trust Center" dialog form and define the location of your database file as a "trusted location".

Wet_Blanket

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks Mr. B. It is a split database (giving them the Front End and Back End). I will test out your suggestion to see if that solves the issues.

Thanks again!

Mr. B

"Doctor Access"
Local time
Yesterday, 20:14
You are quite welcome. Glad to help.

Wet_Blanket

Registered User.
Local time
It appears that users are still having trouble getting this bad boy to run. I can't tell if it is user error or the databases. Would anyone mind taking a look at the database? There is a security feature on it that may be causing the problems - so you will have to add your windows log in to the user table or disable it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Wet_Blanket

Registered User.
Local time
I guess I'm just looking to make this more plug and play. I do not need the security feature of the database, but I would like the user ID to be used when logging who did what on the database (see marketing form).

gemma-the-husky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 02:14
Just a thought

I am not sure what position you have within your firm. obviously if it is your firm, then you can do what you want. However, if you created a database for your firm, while working for them - then the database belongs to them not you - and you probably ought to get their agreement before releasing it.

Also, ff you are disclosing the source code, you may be giving away your competitive advantage, and it's not somethnig you should do lightly.

Wet_Blanket

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you for the concerns you have raised, I really appreciated it. However, neither issue is applicable to my situation.

I'm thinking the Windows-based log in ID is causing the problems, so I have removed it. I guess I won't know if that was the cause or not till more users test it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom