database connect to another database (1 Viewer)

Valentine

Local time
Today, 01:45
I haven't attempted to do this yet but I was wondering. I have DB1 which has a table dedicated to days off for soldiers. I want to link DB2 to that table in DB1 so that I can make a calendar in DB2 for users to see when people are off and for how long. If I go to the external data tab and select access database and choose the table i want from DB1, is that a 1 time pull or will it be constant?

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 05:45
Linked tables remain linked unless the external database is moved or the linked table is renamed

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:45
Be careful. It sounds like you simply want users of DB2 to only "see" that information from DB1. However, when you link a table, it is a "live" connection, which means you can view that data and also able to change it.

Valentine

Local time
Today, 01:45
Yeah i figured as much so when I do link I am going to make queries for the users to see and sort by instead of opening the table

bastanu

AWF VIP
Local time
You should consider having one "back-end" file to host the table(s) and two front-ends linked to it for the two separate functionalities (or only one that dynamically chooses what forms to show depending on the current user).

Cheers,

LarryE

Local time
If you want users to just be able to see the data field but not be able to change it, then just set the field control Locked property to 'Yes' on all the forms or reports that have that field. It won't matter where the data field came from.

Cotswold

Local time
Today, 05:45
Some of my systems had two or three BE databases linked to the FE all the time without any problems at all. Access doesn't care which tables it links, or if they are in different databases.

One for instance was a BE for skip hire and a BE for quarry and weighbridge operations. Each of these would have a separate program FE. If someone bought both programs then the programs would share data because the quarry system issued invoices separately to skips. The Quarry system would read the weighbridge via an RS232 serial cable and calculate the weight of product (sand and stone) removed from the quarry. It would also calculate the weight of waste incoming from the skips, with a weighticket related to each skip load. The waste weight was then charged on a skip invoice. Everything worked fine and without any issues with over 50 users in some cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom