Database Devt Problems (1 Viewer)

GUIDO22

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 09:12
I am having re-occuring issues with a database that I have been working on for many years.

I make changes to the GUI of a form, save and run.. but the form doesnt load... I decompile/recompile without issue.
Run again, form wont display... I have had to resort to having a seperate database file which is only a few MB in size for the forms where I get this problem.. do all devt here and then when it works as expected after testing migrate that copy over to the production database.

My main 'front end' DB file is approx. 38 MB.. the 'Back End' data tables around the same...

I have added a drop down to another form this morning and attempting to debug with a breakpoint in the code.. the form wont display.. it's really hacking me off...

Aside from the most obvious ' database is corrupted' comment - can anyone suggest why this is happening and any idea what I could possibly do that i haven't so far to resolve this annoying problem...?

Would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
If a decompile isn't working then you possibly have corruption within the form object.

Try importing all the objects into a clean new blank database and see if that fixes it.
If not then I would say something on a form is corrupt.

Does this only happen on one form? If so try recreating it from scratch assuming it is not too complicated?

sonic8

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 10:12
can anyone suggest why this is happening and any idea what I could possibly do that i haven't so far to resolve this annoying problem...?
My bet: Your form opens at a screen location outside the area visible on your monitor. - This might happen when working with different computers with a multi-monitor setup.
Set AutoCenter=Yes in the form's properties and try if it makes a difference.

GUIDO22

Registered User.
Local time
My bet: Your form opens at a screen location outside the area visible on your monitor. - This might happen when working with different computers with a multi-monitor setup.
Set AutoCenter=Yes in the form's properties and try if it makes a difference.
Thanks for your comment.
The form has worked fine for years . Today i simply added a combo to refine my filtering of the results that get loaded to a report and put a breakpoint in the code... Run the form.. nothing..

GUIDO22

Registered User.
Local time
If a decompile isn't working then you possibly have corruption within the form object.

Try importing all the objects into a clean new blank database and see if that fixes it.
If not then I would say something on a form is corrupt.

Does this only happen on one form? If so try recreating it from scratch assuming it is not too complicated?
It happens on more than one form and seemingly after i have added further controls ...

This is also happening on a report i created only a couple of months ago too... Added extra fields to report on.. run the report... Nothing displays... Only after a compress/compact database does it run again.. but can't debug with breakpoints... If i add a breakpoint it won't display at all ..

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
@GUIDO22 - if someone has made a suggestion and you then respond - at least have the courtesy to say whether or not you have tried the suggestion and if you have, what the outcome is.

So have you tried setting autocentre to yes?

have you tried importing all the objects into a new database?

have you tried recreating a form from scratch?

I'll add one of my own - is this just your development copy? or are you working on the production copy when this happens?

GUIDO22

Registered User.
Local time
@GUIDO22 - if someone has made a suggestion and you then respond - at least have the courtesy to say whether or not you have tried the suggestion and if you have, what the outcome is.

So have you tried setting autocentre to yes?

have you tried importing all the objects into a new database?

have you tried recreating a form from scratch?

I'll add one of my own - is this just your development copy? or are you working on the production copy when this happens?

As you can see i thanked the OP for their comment. Why take this aggressive tone?
I have been reasonable and sufficiently detailed in what is happening.

. As i started the form works fine.. If i add a control, save then load the form... Nothing displays.
Are you suggesting adding a control will force autocentre to change value when it has been set to true since i created the DB years ago...

My forms are primarily pop up and are all Autocentre.

I imported all into a new database some years back when i had this very same query when i last raised it on here... If memory serves.. so yes that box is ticked..

I have created new forms without issue but how new is new?. A form i created a couple of months back (which is new in the life of the database), i add a text box for example.. Save , attempt to load and nothing happens.

.. i am working on a development copy...

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Why take this aggressive tone?
apologies if come across as aggressive but the point is you are not providing any feedback

where have you said this before? ' when it has been set to true since i created the DB years ago...'

this is new information 'My forms are primarily pop up and are all Autocentre.'

'I imported all into a new database some years back'
but you have made changes since then, so why not try again? either way we now have a timescale

'I have created new forms without issue but how new is new?' since this problem started

CarlettoFed

Local time
Today, 10:12
Attach an example file, indicating which form is not opening, so you can check what happens.

GUIDO22

Registered User.
Local time
apologies if come across as aggressive but the point is you are not providing any feedback

where have you said this before? ' when it has been set to true since i created the DB years ago...'

this is new information 'My forms are primarily pop up and are all Autocentre.'

'I imported all into a new database some years back'
but you have made changes since then, so why not try again? either way we now have a timescale

'I have created new forms without issue but how new is new?' since this problem started
Agreed i have added new content since i needed to qualify on the autocentre point you made.
The problem has been around for some years but i am only now reminded again if the issues given that i am adding extra functionality in recent weeks...
I will import all into a brand new db today and see if that makes any difference...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom