Database Number of Objects Limit Problem (1 Viewer)

cyberman55

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:29
Hi, this one has me stumped. I'd like to count the number of objects in my DB to check if I'm running into the 32,768 object limit. I'm experiencing unusual and disconcerting behavior, and all the normal corruption repair techniques aren't working. I've imported all the objects into a new database container, decompiled, compact & repair, and nothing helps until the I delete some objects (forms, reports, queries, etc).

Distressing behavior (symptoms):

New objects created don't appear in the navigation pane (pain) until I close and re-open. Also, changing a query type from select to append doesn't result in the icon changing in the navigation pane.

Code seems to run fine and everything else appears OK, but I really can't continue development until this issue is resolved. I fear continued development may lead to further corruption.

After 20 years, this application has grown, I use a variety of techniques to get the size of the application. Currently:

1. 201,200 lines of code in 910 modules, reports and forms.
2. 544 forms
3. 328 reports
4. 3,617 queries (yes, I know, but it's so much work)
5. 450 tables (about half are linked)

I always thought, without thinking too deeply, that the number of objects in the spec refers to the number of reports, forms, modules, etc. But, now I'm wondering, do they also mean all the controls on the forms, and or the fields in the tables? What do they mean by objects.

I used Point Limited's translation modules recently to extract all the label and caption text for a French language translation project and it pulled out something like 21,000 individual controls, and, combined with this issue, I'm beginning to wonder...

So, does anyone already have some object-counting code? It would save me some time.

Does anyone know the definition of "object" in Microsoft's spec here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/access-2010-specifications-HA010341462.aspx ?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm beginning to suspect that I might be in for a major re-engineering project to modularize the application and break out various sub-components such as (space inventory, learning, assets, etc.) which in themselves are smaller, and attach to a common core. If so, well, all good things come to an end, perhaps after 20 years our relationship must change.

cyberman55

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 21:29
Hi James, it's AC 2010.

James Dudden

Access VBA Developer
Local time
Today, 02:29
Ok, my advice would've been to try it in 2010 because I've seen some sketchy things using earlier versions but seeing you are already using 2010 I don't have any further advice. Sorry. Though I would add that that is one large database and if it were me I'd probably try and reduce the number of objects anyway.

Galaxiom

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:29
Have you tried importing everything into a fresh database? Might be a good move to clear out any cobwebs.

namliam

The Mailman - AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 03:29
Just wanted to say, WOW what a database that must be....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom