Database Security (1 Viewer)

utvolsfan

Registered User.
Local time
Yesterday, 19:15
Hello All!

I have a question that I cannot seem to find in help for Access or in a book that I purchased.

I have multiple users on a network sharing multiple databases. Probably a total of 6 different DBs on the same network. They are not related and cannot be combined. I set up users and group permissions for one of the DBs that I have been working on and making some changes to. Will Access automatically apply that same workgroup file to the other DBs? I just tried to access another DB and Access asked me for a password. I really do not want that because different users will have differnet levels of access in each DB. Can anyone help?

Karen Jones

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Personally, I never liked the workgroup way, it makes things too complicated, you may want to instead set up your own table with access levels based on LAN Id if they are on a network, avoiding the workgroup route.

If you need more info on how to have Access look for the Lan ID, let me know.

Vassago

utvolsfan

Registered User.
Local time
First of all thank you for applying. I am not an expert by any means and I am not sure that I understand what you mean by LAN ID and how to set up an access table to recogonize that LAN ID. I am not the administrator of the LAN, but only of the DB's.

Karen

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
You can create a table with everyone who needs to access the database's Network ID on it, along with their access level.

Then create a module to check the Lan ID on load, here is a sample for you.

I didn't create this database, but someone gave it to me as a sample when I needed it, with it, I was able to create a table that read the user's NT login, and if it matched a record on the table, gave them the access they deserved. If they weren't on the table, it closed itself.

I wish I could give you more assistance on the workgroups, but never liked them.

Hope this helps.

Vassago

Attachments

• usersnetworkinfo.zip
    14.4 KB · Views: 171

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
I am guessing that you have "joined" your computer to the new secured workgroup? If so, that is not the best way to use secured workgroups. You should rejoin your computer back to the generic System.mdw file. Use a custom secured shortcut to open the secured db with the correct workgroup. Like this example...

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\msaccess.exe" /wrkgrp "X:\Databases\YourWorkgroup.mdw" "X:\Data\Bases\Test.mdb" /user Test User

HTH

utvolsfan

Registered User.
Local time
Are you saying that this:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\msaccess.exe" /wrkgrp "X:\Databases\YourWorkgroup.mdw" "X:\Data\Bases\Test.mdb" /user Test User

should be the file location of the workgroup file instead of taking the default location that they give you? Would that make a difference when opening a new database? Right now anytime I open a database in access from the shared drive ("I") it asks me for a password. The administrative password seems to work on every file, but I will more than likely have different users for the other databases. Can I have every user listed in this file and then only give them access to the databases that they need to use?

Karen:confused:

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Sounds like you (or the security wizard) have joined your computer to your secured workgroup. Big problem if you do not want to have to log into the workgroup just to open "any" Access database (whether the db is secured or not).

Check out this thread for it should cover most of your answers...
Access Security

Check this site for an article about Access security...
http://www.jmhare.com/dbsecurity.htm

If you want more info, search this forum for the keyword "Security" and/also user name "ghudson" for I have answered a few posts on this subject but so have a thousand other users who have also posted some great advice about Access security.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom