Database will not open (1 Viewer)

ignignoct5d

Local time
Today, 04:37
Hi,

I've run across a couple issues with our database. The most immediate issue is that I have been unable to open the database on any networked (or non-networked) computer. Me and a assistant typically enter data into this database from two seperate computers. She works on a wireless networked computer with the file on my computers hard drive. I work directly with the file. My computer is wired to the router. (in case that information helps)

We keep getting errors about "cannot access remote computer" and such, they seem to occur when she's entering data and I have the database open, then close Access. It will often give her the error and not allow her to save the record.

But just today she entered something, I closed my database window, then reopened it and I could not get in. All network computers rebooted, and still cannot get into the file. I can enter the password and then it goes to just a blank area (like when your first open access with no database). Older backup versions of the database still work, so it doesn't seem like an Access error. I also noticed that the little "LockFile"s are not being created (I ever faked one just to try it out and it deleted it after i entered the database password)

I can't repair, or convert or anything, it just asks for the password, I give it...and then nothing.

I'm very lost. Thanks for any help.

spacepro

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:37
OK, not entirely sure but you can check a couple of things:

1) When you enter the password, trying pressing F11 to show the database window. This will show all objects in the database.
2) Go to Tools > Options on the menu.
Click on the Advanced Tab and see whether the 'Default open mode' is set to shared or exclusive (Should be Shared) and whether the 'Open Databases using record level locking' is checked or not.(Should be checked - This would explain no .ldb file if unchecked)

If the menus are disabled, close the database and re-open and keep you finger on the shift button whilst it opens, this will also show the db window.

Check the above settings and post back and maybe one of us can help.
Post any error messages / error numbers as they appear, so that we can try to understand the error.

Regards
Andy

ignignoct5d

Local time
Thanks for the reply Andy.

I did forget to mention that I tried to do the f11 trick because we normally have a small splash screen form that pops up first. Weird thing is that only the password prompt shows. After I enter the password, F11 doesnt work, nor any of the Tools options. Even though I just opened it, it treats it like I never opened a file...and but got me to put the password in. I brought the DB home and tried on this computer too..same thing.

Also its Access 2000 and XP pro if that helps.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 07:37
Search for the JetCompact program and see if that helps you recover your db. Odds are the indexes are corrupt.

I have heard that Access should not be used on a wireless network. Access freaks out if the computer looses it's connection with the database file; even for a nano second. And that happens with a wireless connection.

There have been debates about loosing a connection and the use of grammer with it so this is my disclaimer that I do not care about that. ;)

ignignoct5d

Local time
Didn't work. Tried Jet Compact and tried creating a new database and importing everything. Same thing happens when I go to import, asks for password then nothing.

spacepro

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:37
Can you post the db? Is it small enough?

Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom