Datasheet Form with Many Fields (1 Viewer)

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:02
In a manufacturing application, not all of your parts would have the same characteristics. So, if you are using some columns for some parts and others for other parts, the schema is not normalized and ERP would probably be the easiest choice in the long run.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 09:02
Disabling control resulting in it being skipped when navigating the sheet but does not gray it out.

Whilst that's true for a datasheet form, if you use a continuous form, disabled controls are greyed out.
If you want you can modify a continuous form so it looks like a datasheet but you have more control over its appearance.

However like previous responders I agree that your table structure isn't appropriate. Normalising will help you manage your data effectively.

RogerCooper

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:02
So like I said it is not normalized.
I need to support redundant fields in the ERP. You might think that the carton determines dimensions but some items don't have a carton. And I need to distinguish between missing carton information and no carton.

RogerCooper

Registered User.
Local time
Whilst that's true for a datasheet form, if you use a continuous form, disabled controls are greyed out.
If you want you can modify a continuous form so it looks like a datasheet but you have more control over its appearance.

However like previous responders I agree that your table structure isn't appropriate. Normalising will help you manage your data effectively.
Continuous forms have a width limit.

RogerCooper

Registered User.
Local time
I was able to gray out uneditable data, by right-clicking the column and choosing conditional formatting. Then I just set a condition met by all cells.

RogerCooper

Registered User.
Local time
True but so do datasheet forms and the maximum width is the same for each 22.75 inches
See https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Access-specifications-0cf3c66f-9cf2-4e32-9568-98c1025bb47c

Glad you found a solution using CF with your datasheet but it is perhaps a more complicated approach than necessary

There is no limit if you are in the Datasheet view. A continuous form looks like a datasheet, but Access treats it differently. That is what confused me, a datasheet view is not the same as a datasheet form.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I was able to gray out uneditable data, by right-clicking the column and choosing conditional formatting. Then I just set a condition met by all cells.
Hi. Thanks for the update. Cheers!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 09:02
Hi Roger
Hmm... I tested this on a humungous table of 152 fields.
When I added all the fields to a datasheet form (or if you prefer a form in datasheet view), all fields were displayed even though it said the form width was the maximum of 55.873 cm or 22.75 inches.
I then viewed the form data in Print Preview - all fields displayed though it took 66 pages to display them!
So I'm confused but you appear to be right.

I didn't spend (waste) time trying to fit all the fields side by side in a continuous form!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom