Date Conversion (1 Viewer)

Piller187

Local time
Today, 15:43
I'm imported data from a csv file. The dates stored in there are in a dd-mm-yyyy time format. How can I work with this since Access's date format is just mm/dd/yyyy? I imagine I need to do some sort of conversion? Does Access provide anything for me to do this?

bat1799

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 23:43
if you rename the file to a text file then you will get a Wizard when you import which will give you more choices.

You could use a update query to put real dates into a new column in the table

MyDate :dateserial(right([TextDate],4),left([textDate],2),mid([textdate],3,2))

Air code :) but should be close

HTH

Peter

Piller187

Local time
Today, 15:43
Something I tried was to change the column def to short date. It shows just the short date but if I query on it it doesn't find it. THen I did a highlight in the column and dragged mouse right and it then showed the tim ein there also. Very strange. I was hoping it would remove the time that was on there. In fact it only hide it. But it's still there which means I can't just query on the date.

Last edited:

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:43
Access will still recognize your dates as long as the field you are updating is set to a date/time field. You can use the format function to display the date in a format you want.

=Format([YourDateField],"MM/DD/YYYY")

You can use that in an update query to change the format of the date from the import to the table. An import spec could [should] also allow you to do it.

JoeCruse

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:43
ghudson said:
Access will still recognize your dates as long as the field you are updating is set to a date/time field. You can use the format function to display the date in a format you want.

=Format([YourDateField],"MM/DD/YYYY")

You can use that in an update query to change the format of the date from the import to the table. An import spec could [should] also allow you to do it.

Thanks for reminding me of this ghudson!!!! I'm working on a little parameter input form and I needed 2 sets of date prompts, one set with long date and one set with short date. The set with short date is equal to the set with long date, but I needed the 2 formats because of the underlying data's date formats, which must be kept this way. Been banging my head on not being able to pull the report for a day till I realized it was a date format issue, and then spent another hour or so trying to remember how to do this on the parameter form until I did a search here.

Seek and ye shall find indeed! Thanks again.

ghudson

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 18:43
JoeCruse said:
spent another hour or so trying to remember how to do this on the parameter form until I did a search here.
Glad to hear somebody knows how to use the forums search function. ;)

AccessBoy, are you reading this?!?!

JoeCruse

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 17:43
ghudson said:
Glad to hear somebody knows how to use the forums search function. ;)

AccessBoy, are you reading this?!?!

ghudson,

almost every issue I've had, I've been able to run the answer down in a search, because of all the info here. It may take a while, especially in trying to "ask" the right search, but it usually bears fruit. I think the only big issues I had were a screwy text file import, dynamic Xtab reports, and what to expect on change in size of DB when one finally normalizes their table structure, vs old, non-normal structure. Probably could have had one of these answered by searching deeper.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom