Solved Date Entry in access not picked by Search Form (1 Viewer)

Abeetan

Local time
Today, 06:11
I am not exactly sure what's going on, but there is an issue I am running into. My date entries don't show when I run my SQL statement on a search form.

here is a post I came across that talks about the same issue I am going through
Code:
Function SearchCriteria()
Dim strProjectCode, strRequestNumber, strCompName, strSdate, strRdate As String
Dim task, strCriteria As String
'Check if Project Code Textbox is blank
If IsNull(Me.txtS_PC) Then strProjectCode = "[ProjectCode] like '*'" Else
strProjectCode = "[ProjectCode] = '" & Me.txtS_PC & "'"
End If
'Check if Request Number Textbox is blank
If IsNull(Me.txtS_RN) Then strRequestNumber = "[RequestNumber] like '*'" Else
strRequestNumber = "[RequestNumber] = '" & Me.txtS_RN & "'"
End If
'Check if Company Name Textbox is blank
If IsNull(Me.txtS_CompNa) Then strCompName = "[companyName] like '*'" Else
strCompName = "[companyName] = '" & Me.txtS_CompNa & "'"
End If
'Check if Sent Date Textbox is blank
If IsNull(Me.txt_Search_Sdate) Then strSdate = "[DateRequestSent] like '*'" Else
strSdate = "[DateRequestSent] = #" & txt_Search_Sdate & "#"
End If
'Check if Received Date Textbox is blank
If IsNull(Me.txt_Search_Rdate) Then strRdate = "[DateReceived] like '*'" Else
strRdate = "[DateReceived] = #" & txt_Search_Rdate & "#"
End If
strCriteria = strProjectCode & "And" & strRequestNumber & "And" & strCompName & "And" & strSdate & "And" & strRdate
task = "SELECT * from qryRequestInternal where " & strCriteria
Me.sfrmRequestInternal.Form.RecordSource = task
Me.sfrmRequestInternal.Form.Requery
Me.sfrmRequestInternal_col.Form.RecordSource = task
Me.sfrmRequestInternal_col.Form.Requery
End Function

Last edited:

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 04:11
Probably an issue with date string formats - they need to be in the US format of 'mm/dd/yyyy' or the sql generic of 'yyyy-mm-dd'. If this is the case use the format function

format(txt_Search_Rdate,"yyyy-mm-dd")

For the future, when posting code use the </> button, not the >_ button, will make it easier for others to read

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
I also used this constant several times with my dates

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
Yesterday, 22:11
hi @Abeetan

one problem I see is that "And" should be " And ", with spaces around it

the Dim statements should explicitely define data type for each variable. For instance, in this statement.
Dim task, strCriteria As String
only strCriteria will be a string. Since task wasn't declared, it will be a variant. This is the right way:
Dim task As String, strCriteria As String

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
also, if criteria is null, it should just be skipped ...
Rich (BB code):
strSdate =  ""

with Me.txt_Search_Rdate

If NOT IsNull(.value) Then strRdate = " [DateReceived] = #" & format(.value,"yyyy-mm-dd") &  "# "

end with

be sure there is a space on either side of & too

the only way the above would work is if there is no time part in the date/time stored

Abeetan

Local time
I am still running into the same issue. I tried all the suggestions on here. I changed my regional PC settings to match mm/dd/yy

CJ_London

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
All the suggestions are valid so must be something else. provide the code you are now using, some example data, the values you have in your two searchboxes and the result required from that example data

Changing regional settings is a bit extreme, better to use the format function

Abeetan

Local time
All the suggestions are valid so must be something else. provide the code you are now using, some example data, the values you have in your two searchboxes and the result required from that example data

Changing regional settings is a bit extreme, better to use the format function
Here is the issue. Actually, I should clarify that old existing data can be filtered using the search form with the provided function. The problem is when I enter new data. It is not being captured by the filter. When I played with the date settings earlier (before posing my question) it worked briefly then stopped working later. Could it be the data entry form?

Edit: Okay I just realized nothing is being filtered when I enter new data in the tables, not just the dates. What could it possibly be?

Last edited:

Abeetan

Local time
Rich (BB code):
strSdate =  ""

with Me.txt_Search_Rdate

If NOT IsNull(.value) Then strRdate = " [DateReceived] = #" & format(.value,"yyyy-mm-dd") &  "# "

end with

the only way the above would work is if there is no time part in the date/time stored
Hello Crystal!

Thank you for your input. I believe my problem now lies here. Apparently, when a field is empty or null it's not showing up in the results. I am going to try your code and update you.

Abeetan

Local time
Rich (BB code):
strSdate =  ""

with Me.txt_Search_Rdate

end with

Can you please explain a little how I can integrate this check into my code?

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
hi @Abeetan,

you're welcome ~

> how I can integrate this check into my code?

sure ... look at the code you have to test Me.txt_Search_Rdate and make the string to incoporate. I used WITH and END WITH because the control was referenced more thanone time -- this is better performance. Then, when you want the value in that control, .Value is specified.

HOWEVER, to make it easier on yourself ... I suggest concatenating " AND " only if something is there to add, which won't happen if string to possibly add is defined as string instead of variant. Strings can't be Null (no value) whereas Variants can.

I'm not going to change all the code for you ... instead I tell you how to understand so that you can do it yourself (smile)

instead of this:
strCriteria = strProjectCode & "And" & strRequestNumber & "And" & strCompName & "And" & strSdate & "And" & strRdate 'wrong anyway -- needs space dlimiters and more

you should just start with vCriteria = Null -- and only add onto it if there is something to consider. In the following example,
vCriteria is how to limit the records. For instance -->
"CustomerID = " & Me.CustomerID
OR
"PartID = " & me.PartID & " AND OrderDate =#" & me.OrderDate & "#"

vCriteria is the WHERE clause of an SQL statement without the word "where"

another advantage of using controls on forms is that you can ignore the criteria is the user didn't fill anything out because you can test for that in your code.

~~~
assuming you are in the code behind the ReportMenu form... here is a general case:

CODE
'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rich (BB code):
   'tell Access you are going to create a variable
   dim vCriteria as variant 

'initialize the variable
   vCriteria = null 

'substitute YOUR controlname in here after "Me."
   'we are testing to see if it is filled out
   'if it is, we are going to make vCriteria hold the criteria
   If not IsNull(me.text_controlname ) Then 
      vCriteria =  "[TextFieldname]= '" & me.controlname_for_text  &  "'"
   end if 

'test the next control
   If not IsNull(me.date_controlname ) Then 
      'if we alread have criteria, add AND to specify that and more
      vCriteria = (vCriteria +  " AND ") _ 
        &  "[DateFieldname]= #" & me.controlname_for_date  &  "#"
   end if 

'test the next control
   If not IsNull(me.numeric_controlname ) Then 
        &  "[NumericFieldname]= " & me.controlname_for_number 
   end if 

if not IsNull(vCriteria) then   
       DoCmd.OpenReport  "ReportName",acViewPreview,,vCriteria 
   else 
       DoCmd.OpenReport  "ReportName",acViewPreview 
   endif

' Made with Color Code add-in posted on http://msaccessgurus.com/tool/Addin_ColorCode.htm

'~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'SPACE UNDERSCORE at the end of a line means that the statement is continued on the next line

I have used:

TextFieldname to show how text needs to be delimited - with single quote marks (you can also use double quote marks

DateFieldname to show that dates need to be delimited with #

NumericFieldname to show that numbers are not delimited

each time, we are testing to see if a filter control is filled out.

If it is, we are going to see if we first need to add AND (if the filter string already says something)
Then we are going to add the criteria for that filter
vCriteria = (vCriteria + " AND ") & ... ' some other criteria

make sure that the referenced fields are in the underlying RecordSet for the report -- and it is sometimes necessary for the fields to be in controls on the report (the Visible property can be No)

For a Date Range, you might do:

Rich (BB code):
   If not IsNull(me.date1_controlname ) Then 
        &  "[DateFieldname]>= #" & me.controlname_for_date1  &  "#"
   end if 

If not IsNull(me.date2_controlname ) Then 
        &  "[DateFieldname] <= #" & me.controlname_for_date2  &  "#"
   end if

If you are not using the American Date Format, then you may wish to use the ISO 8601 representation of the date:

CODE
Rich (BB code):
Format(me.date_controlname, "\#yyyy\-mm\-dd\#")

instead of
"#" & me.date_controlname & "#"

NOTE: consider time if it might be there

emphasizing what @CJ_London said, "Changing regional settings is a bit extreme, better to use the format function"

I totally agree with this!

strive4peace

AWF VIP
Local time
@Abeetan

Difference between + and &

& and + are both Operators

The standard Concatenation Operator is ampersand (&). If a term that is concatenated is Null (has no data; unknown), all terms will display if you use ampersand.

The Addition Operator is the plus sign (+) … but, even if one of the terms has a value, the result will be Null if any term is Null (kind of like multiplying by 0). As in math, what is enclosed in parentheses will be evaluated first.

Null + "anything" = Null
Null & "anything = "anything"

"something " + "anything" = "something anything"
"something " & "anything" = "something anything"
no difference because both of the terms have a value

Null + "" = Null
Null & "" = ""

(Null + " ") & "Lastname" = "Lastname"
(Null & " ") & "Lastname" = " Lastname"
in the second case, the parentheses do not make a difference, each term is concatenated -- and note the space in the result before Lastname

Do you see the difference between using + and using & ? For instance, if you want to add a space between first and last name but you are not sure that first name will be filled out, you can do this:

(Firstname + " ") & Lastname

What is in the parentheses is evaluated first -- then it is concatenated to what comes next

You might also want to do this:

(Firstname + " ") & (Middlename + " ") & Lastname

Combining + and & in an expression gives you a way to make the result look right without having to test if something is not filled out.

What if firstname is filled but nothing else? There will be a space at the end. Usually, this is not a problem but if you want to chop it off, you can wrap the whole expression in the Trim function, which truncates leading and trailing spaces.

Trim((Firstname + " ") & (Middlename + " ") & Lastname)

for more on delimiters and other fundamental topics, read Access Basics*. All your fields come from tblJob. Your data structure needs to be normalized. Especially focus on the chapters on Normalization and Relationships in Access Basics

*Access Basics by Crystal
https://www.accessmvp.com/strive4peace

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 23:11
Let me jump on the DO NOT change your computer settings to solve the SQL date format train. That won't help anyone else who runs the application. Do it right. Do it with the Format() function and it will work for everyone Not just the people with US date settings.

And for debugging, ALWAYS print out the completed SQL string and post that. That makes it possible for us to actually see what the string is and therefore what the problems might be. You are on the right track and building the string. Now you just need to use it for the reason you are building it - it is a debugging tool. Otherwise, there is absolutely no reason to build the string into a variable.

More about the date issue - dates are stored internally as double precision numbers. The integer part of the field is the number of days since Dec 30, 1899 in the case of Access. SQL Server and Excel use the same technique but with a different origin date so their date ranges are slightly different from the date range supported by Access. The decimal part is the elapsed time since midnight so 1.25 = Dec 31, 1899 at 6 AM. Negative numbers are dates prior to Dec 30, 1899. So, when two date fields are compared, it is NOT a string compare it is a numeric compare. Now we get to the problem. When you build the SQL in VBA, you create a string with a date in it. That is why you need to enclose the date in #'s and it is why you need the date to be either in US format - mm/dd/yyyy OR the unambiguous yyyy-mm-dd. You could use short month as in dd-mmm-yyyy but that causes language issues so, if your default date format is NOT US standard then you need to convert the string date to one of the two acceptable formats.

To increase your understanding, if you use a querydef and refer to a date field on a form, you don't have the problem.

Select ... From ... Where SomeDate = Forms!yourform!yourdatecontrol

In this case, as long as the form control is bound to a datetime data type or defined as a date by having its format property set to some date format, then Access will treat it as a date because it is stored in the control as a double precision number and no conversion is necessary. Access isn't looking at the string you are seeing, it is looking at the actual numeric value.

However if you create the same query as above but do it in VBA instead of as a queyrdef,
strSQL = "Select ... From ... Where SomeDate = " & Forms!yourform!yourdatecontrol
you have the date problem. It ONLY occurs when a date is a string rather than a datetime data type. Understanding that tiny fact will help you to avoid the issue forever:)

Code:
print now()
12/13/2021 3:11:56 PM
print cdbl(#12/13/2021 3:11:56 PM#)
print cdbl(#12/13/2021 6:00 PM#)
print cdbl(#12/30/1899 6:00 AM#)
print cdbl(#12/01/1899 6:00 AM#)

Abeetan

Local time
@strive4peace
Thank you so much, Crystal! I believe that the search function is working properly. Thank you!

Code:
Function SearchCriteria()

Dim vCriteria As Variant
vCriteria = Null

'Check if Project Code Textbox is blank
If Not IsNull(Me.ProjectCode) Then
   vCriteria = "[code] = '" & Me.ProjectCode & "'"
End If

'Check if Request Number Textbox is blank
If Not IsNull(Me.RequestNumber) Then
      vCriteria = (vCriteria + " AND ") & "[requestNo] = '" & Me.RequestNumber & "'"
End If

'Check if Company Name Textbox is blank
If Not IsNull(Me.companyName) Then
      vCriteria = (vCriteria + " AND ") & "[company] = '" & Me.companyName & "'"
End If

'Check if Sent Date Textbox is blank
If Not IsNull(Me.date) Then
vCriteria = (vCriteria + " AND ") & "[date] = #" & Me.date & "#"
End If

If Not IsNull(vCriteria) Then
task = "SELECT * from qryForm where " & vCriteria
Me.sfrmForm.Form.RecordSource = task
Me.sfrmForm.Form.Requery
End If

End Function

Uncle Gizmo

Nifty Access Guy
Staff member
Local time

I agree with Chris, Please provide Example of data you have and an example of the result(s) you want to see....

Abeetan

Local time
Thank you all so much for the input. Apparently, my search function was skipping records with empty fields and hence why I was not getting the records that I was adding new to the databases (I was adding records and skipping the fields to test whether the date format worked) and I ended up solving the date issue without knowing and inadvertently ran into a different issue due to a poor search function. Thank you, Crystal. I believe the search function is now working properly as intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom