Date Mismatch error (1 Viewer)

Bechert

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:25
Hello, I am processing a file from another application.
All is going well except the date comparison within my application (ActivityDate as Date/Time with an input mask of 99/99/0000;0;_).
The date field in the incoming file is text: "20170128". It will always be 8 digits.
I want to convert this date to #01/28/2017# so I can compare ActivityDate to the incoming date.

I run a query that calls the function below to convert the incoming date to a standard Access date. In a second query each date is in a different table. I join the two tables on the dates .
I have created a subroutine to do the conversion. The converted date looks correct but I receive a Mismatch error when comparing the dates in the query.
Here is the code in a function:
I split the incoming field into century / month / day
DtDate as Date
VarDate = DateSerial(VarCentury, VarMonth, VarDay)
If IsDate(VarDate) Then
DtDate = VarDate
ConvertCenturyMonthDayToStandardDateFunction = DtDate
Else
Error
The code never goes to Error.

Thanks for help.
Bill

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Today, 16:25
I think you're making this too complicated...
No idea why you had varCentury for example

Try this - it has 2 possible methods - both work

Code:
Sub TESTDate()

Dim strDate As String, dteDate As Date

strDate = "20170128"

'EITHER of the next 2 lines will work
'strDate = Left(strDate, 4) & "-" & Mid(strDate, 5, 2) & "-" & Right(strDate, 2)
'OR
strDate = Mid(strDate, 5, 2) & "/" & Right(strDate, 2) & "/" & Left(strDate, 4)

dteDate = CDate(Format(strDate, "mm/dd/yyyy"))

Debug.Print dteDate

End Sub

I expect someone else will simplify further

plog

Banishment Pending
Local time
Today, 10:25
The converted date looks correct but I receive a Mismatch error when comparing the dates in the query

Then you probably aren't comparing dates. The mistake most people make is thinking that text that looks like a date to human eyes is a date in the eyes of the computer.

My guess is one of those "dates" is a string and the other is an actual date. I would use DateValue() to convert the string to a date so that you can compare them.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Today, 23:25
if you are using an expression in your query, ie:

Code:
FileDate:ConvertCenturyMonthDayToStandardDateFunction([fieldFromFile])
or
ConvertCenturyMonthDayToStandardDateFunction([fieldFromFile]) As FileDate

you should include the function in your comparison and not the calculated field (FileDate on my example)

Code:
"SELECT *,ConvertCenturyMonthDayToStandardDateFunction([fieldFromFile]) AS FileDate FROM yourfile WHERE ConvertCenturyMonthDayToStandardDateFunction([fieldFromFile]) = [ActivityDate] ..."

ashleedawg

"Here for a good time"
Local time
Today, 08:25
Hi Bechert,

There must be some reason that you are specifically referring to the century? Perhaps you're dealing with historical dates or working towards Julian?

Beyond that I have some thoughts -- but I'll likely just confuse matters, so everyone stop reading now. :)

Ridder's function above works properly for me with your example date of 20170128. However he's in UK, I'm in Canada, and you're in USA, and it's not unheard of for a user's location (and therefore, Regional Settings) to affect the behaviour of CDATE and DATESERIAL. [or the spelling of 'behaviour' :)]

Both functions operate internally based on the regional setting for 'Short Date':
  • UK: dd/mm/yyyy
  • USA: mm/dd/yyyy
  • Canada: dd/mm/yyyy - but mine's set to yyyy/mm/dd

Unfortunately, even that has its exceptions depending on the value of each m-d-y datepart. For example, for me:
Code:
debug.Print format(cdate("12/1/2017"),"mmm d, yyyy")  ' returns:  Dec 1, 2017
debug.Print format(cdate("13/1/2017"),"mmm d, yyyy")  ' returns:  Jan 13, 2017

'What does this function return for you? 
debug.Print format("Dec 13, 2014","Short Date")  '(I get 2014-12-13)

But back to the Century thing... If that's a level of detail that you need, you might require something completely different. How about this one:
Code:
debug.print CDate(Format("20170128", "@@@@/@@/@@"))

Either way, DATESERIAL won't work with a Century argument.

K, I'm done. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom