Death List (cont.) (1 Viewer)

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Today, 18:48
To continue my other thread, which for an unknown reason is locked, I have made a start towards my target.

I've decided to start clearing out books, CD's, computer games etc. This will take a while but every so often we get charity bags, we had one the other day so I've put in a few games and books and almost cleared a shelf in the bookcase.

Nearer the time I will need to do the tools and other items from the garage.

It's surprising what you have to get rid of when you really start.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Sorry, I must be missing something. What is / was the problem?

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:48
Colin,

I have thought about your prior post for a long time and now see this one.

I understand the depression that comes from being a sole care-giver. I went through a shorter version of your experience as my mother's care-giver. Even that experience, which I acknowledge to have been shorter and perhaps less intense than yours, was enough to bring me to a point of not wanting to go on. I knew when and how I would do it, and why. Fortunately, in my case I found a good therapist who helped me climb out of a seriously dark depression. I see that depression in you and hope that you would consider that checking out prematurely isn't always a good answer.

On the other hand, I am reminded of the State of Oregon's Supreme Court, when they were hearing a challenge to the state's "Death with Dignity" law that allowed for very narrowly constructed circumstances when a doctor could legally assist a patient with drugs to terminate that patient's life. I cannot find the original reference, but I can paraphrase.

We in the United States have a tradition of recognizing everyone's right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. However, when the pursuit of happiness and liberty have become unattainable to the point that a person's life has neither liberty nor happiness, can we reasonably intervene by preventing a person to end that torturous and painful life?

The judge in question was more eloquent than I and surely said a lot more on the topic. Still, it is applicable to the discussion.

Col, I want to treat you with respect on this subject because I understand it better than some. I know we are sometimes antagonistic and I will not presume to be a close friend, but in this we are closer than we might have been on any other topic. If you really want to check out, I can only tell you that it is your life, to do with as you will. But I have to also say in nearly the same breath that your loss of happiness is the depression speaking to you - and you are listening.

Depression can hit any of us and I do not intend for even a moment to deny its awful power, having felt it myself. The only way out is to try to look rationally at your life to see if you have other issues that might offer you some enjoyment in your later years.

I will add that depression can not only make you feel like Hell, but can also make you feel that the search for future enjoyment is doomed before you start. And understand this: If you have a terminal disease like stage 4 metasticized cancer or something of that ilk, I could easily understand your belief that there was no hope remaining. But if your health is merely declining with age (like mine), there is still a chance to enjoy your later years. You won't tap dance or do Olympic floor exercises like you once did, but you can still enjoy performances or recordings. You can still enjoy being with people. It CAN happen, Col. But it can't happen unless you let it, and your depression will fight you on this.

Allow me this familiarity just once: My friend, I sincerely hope that you can find a way out of the descending spiral of depression. It ain't easy, I know. But it IS possible - and I am living proof thereof. Best wishes, Col.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Hmmm, a mystery then, or no reason other than it has my name. Maybe I should use one of my other four, they still all work.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Doc, thanks for your as ever excellent reply.

But, I am not depressed, I am just tired, I have done everything I wanted to do. I have a heart condition and as I age I find my hips are becoming arthritic and can't walk too far these days. I don't have early onset Alzheimer's my mind is sharp and still devious.
My sole reason for my decision is that I have done enough and never want to be a cabbage relying on carers to wipe everything. I would lie there with bedsores wishing to god I had done it.

No thank you, I saw my mother in that state after she had a stroke, she lasted a year, she prayed for death and eventually got it.

Not for me, no way Pedro.

Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Progressing with the list. With three years to go I decided on looking at clothes.

For example, I looked at my shoes (I only have two pairs) both pairs are in good nick and will last ok. I need to get some new shirts, so I've got my eye on some, the old ones can go to charity.
Outside clothes like jackets are ok, I bought a new suede leather one earlier this year and I have some lighter ones for summer. Things like jumpers I can cull for charity, I'll keep a couple, the rest can go.

My passport expires in 2018 so I won't bother renewing that. My bus pass expires the same year so I'll need to renew that. I may go to Beachy Head by bus but I haven't finalised that yet.

I'm going to investigate funeral plans in the next few weeks, it's something I know little about but is very important, I can get that organised and paid up to avoid any hassle later. As doc said, the will is all done so no probs there, all my goods and estate will go to the wife, if she goes first the reverse happens.

So on the whole, things are progressing ok. Everything is written in a notebook so there can be nothing left at a loose end.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I am unfamiliar with UK law on the subject, but in the USA we require someone to be named (and agree to being) executor of your estate. It should be someone you trust to take care of matters, and you need to realize that the executor will have power of attorney over disposition of your property. Hope you have someone you can trust. Just leaving behind a notebook is no good unless someone knows to look for a notebook.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
You seem to be obsessed with a will.

We have done a proper will with a solicitor and we have a trusted executor to administer the will.

The notebook I refer to lists where different things are and what I have prepared like which funeral director, what to do with the car, just little things really.

Come the end in three years, nothing will be left to chance.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
No, I wasn't looking at a will. Even an "intestate estate" needs an executor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom