Things that cause Hatred, like a false belief of Hatred (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 06:46
I have no issue whatsoever with an adult making a decision about his/her body. I would be OK with naming either voting age, legal drinking age, age of sexual consent, age of military service, or age of contract legality as the minimum. HOWEVER, since some states are a bit more liberal with age of sexual consent, that would be my least favorite of the options.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:46
They are just returning the hate they were given. Is it that hard to see? Sheesh!
Why do you see this as hate? It is more likely that the people protesting the parade don't want their children to be exposed to the disgusting displays of genital hanging out along with the mock intercourse on display during the parade. My baby brother is gay and he and his partner would never march in a parade like what we see on TV. They also believe that certain actions are between consenting adults and don't belong on display in public - which is actually what most adults believe.

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:46
I remember visiting my sister in San Francisco, she lived right on Powell Street up from Fisherman's Warf. She took us for a ride around the city ending at the Castro District. We got a bite to eat at this little café right on the street. Out of the café walks this guy that looked like he was straight out of Central casting for The Village People. He had the cap and the mustache, leather from head to toe. I literally busted out laughing, tears were running down my cheeks. I asked him if we could take a picture with him, he couldn't be nicer despite the obvious tourist sitting there laughing. There is an entertainment aspect to a lot of these folks but for others, it crosses some boundaries that embarrass their own movement. Most gays I know, don't necessarily want to stand out in any way, they just want to live and work like everyone else.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
From what I have heard from my gay step-daughter and her (gay) friends, most of the gay parades have really extreme costumes that are strangely not so extremely revealing when you look at them again. New Orleans still has laws regarding nudity and public indecency. I can't speak towards other rallys and other parades. Most of the New Orleans gay community, when they demonstrate or hold a parade here, bring lots of signs and banners. Yep, they get drunk and disorderly. So do the participants in the St. Patrick's Day parade (LOTS of green beer) and the Italian-American parade near the time of the St. Joseph's altars. So did the Saints fans the year the Saints won the Super Bowl.

I am not denying that some folks go overboard. It is just that most of the time the New Orleans police do not have to make arrests for public lewdness at those parades. Oddly enough, the more common arrests have been when a parade participant hands out improperly wrapped food items. For the St. Patty's parade, it was cabbages.

Lightwave

Ad astra
Local time
Today, 12:46
I personally agree with Isaac's opening post. Hatred can bootstrap itself to a position where it becomes self fulfilling and yes that worries me. I personally can go for a windsurf , go to the gym or pick up litter... These things give me peace. I hope others have refuges that protect them and their neighbours.

One thing that seems clear - humans are not always rational.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I dont know any queers, male or female. I think the whole thing is exaggerated just for attention. Two men getting married? Totally insane.
Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Col, you are wrong and right at the same time.

Sometimes you really do have two gay guys or two gay gals marrying each other. It actually happens. I have known at least a dozen married gay couples. The insanity is because some folks in society don't realize that "gay" is not actually a choice, it is a condition of birth. I could tell you the references needed to understand this, but the odds are that you wouldn't bother to read them. In the thread about "Science vs. the Religion of Sexuality" I have posted a couple of links to legit medical research showing that "gay" is not someone choosing to have society heap scorn on them for the rest of their lives. It is all about someone realizing that they are born in a way that the world doesn't understand. Shortest possible summary: It is possible for someone in a man's body to have a brain structured like a woman's brain. Or vice versa. And the brain controls all. We sometimes talk about someone who "thinks with his crotch." However, the truth is that he thinks with his brain - but the brain isn't thinking along the lines that other people might think.

The "exaggeration" is indeed for attention, because otherwise straight people (like you) will go through life ignorant of the fact that their close-minded or deeply puritanical religious viewpoints cause emotional harm. Gays do, indeed, try to educate people to the truth that they must live every day - they were born differently than most people, and it can be medically proved. But instead, folks want to hold onto and cherish their own narrow-minded views on what is normal - without stopping to think that the whole situation could be different than the puritans believe.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
I know they get married to same sex people. There was a big fuss about it when the Church of England allowed it. Tom Daley the Olympic gold medalist diver did it. He refers to his partner as his 'husband '.
I think I'd better shut up, I could go on about things related, but it would incur the wrath of the one who rules these forums (not Jon)then you would ban me again.
I will say however, as I was brought up in the 1950's and 60's it is difficult to accept some modern day thinking, and I do wonder if things have gone to far with this 'PC' rubbish. Just glance at a coloured person now and you're a racist.
Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I know they get married to same sex people. There was a big fuss about it when the Church of England allowed it. Tom Daley the Olympic gold medalist diver did it. He refers to his partner as his 'husband '.
I think I'd better shut up, I could go on about things related, but it would incur the wrath of the one who rules these forums (not Jon)then you would ban me again.
I will say however, as I was brought up in the 1950's and 60's it is difficult to accept some modern day thinking, and I do wonder if things have gone to far with this 'PC' rubbish. Just glance at a coloured person now and you're a racist.
Col

If you think any moderator (including me) rules this forum, just remember that you were never banned due to the previous issue, you were just warned that you were skirting the edge because you were dredging up specific things of a personal nature against another member. If you want to go on about "things related (to gay marriage)" then go ahead. Such comments are something I imagine would be right up your alley, given your "half-caste" and "gold-digger" bashing against Meghan over the past few years. Just remember that it is personal attacks against a member that starts a problem. And thinly veiled personal attacks are usually recognized as such. But keeping the discussion directed to a public figure - or at least away from a member - is merely a discussion starter. Of course, SOMETIMES the discussion still invites negative feedback, Col, but I think you actually enjoy being a lightning rod.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
What is the difference between a 'super moderator' and a normal moderator? The impression given is the former is in charge of the others, and tells them what course of action to take if necessary over whatever issue.
Also, if a member (any member) discloses something in their past that is of a personal nature on a public forum for the world to read - then they must expect possibly someone may pick up on it. If the person doesn't want it discussed, then why say it? No point in getting uptight after you've posted it publically.
I have many things in my past I would never disclose publically on an Internet forum, some would shock, others not, but I know there are things in all of us we wouldn't publish. Not necessarily bad things, just things that may raise a few eyebrows.

BTW, i know i wasnt banned this time, but have been banned in the past several times for short periods.
Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Col, it isn't even that you picked up on something, but that you wouldn't let it go long after that discussion had faded. You were, as we say in the USA, "beating a dead horse." No matter how much you beat it, it isn't going to run any more. There are times to let things be. What did the Beatles sing? "There will be an answer, let it be, let it be..."

What's the difference between an ordinary moderator and my "Immoderate Moderator"? What's the difference between an ordinary moderator and Pat's "Super Moderator"? What's the difference between an ordinary user and your "Old registered user"? Answer: Each person's CHOICE for a tag-line under their avatar and name at the left of a posting.

The moderators, as far as I know, have no particular rank or differences in power. It is all in how it was used. I'm somewhat of an activist moderator because of my years of being a system administrator on a U.S. Navy computer used by literally hundreds of different people. But most of the time I use the "Spam Clean" option in the reporting system, which doesn't affect you at all. I try to not bear down too hard, though sometimes someone's persistence makes me react a bit more strongly. Look, Col... if my actions bothered you, I AM sorry - but I am not AT ALL sorry that I can sometimes do something affirmative to help keep the forum a more gentle place by simply reminding someone that they have crossed a line.

Jon

Access World Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
Just to chip in here. Moderator, super-moderator and administrator all have slightly different privileges on what they are able to do on the forum. However, there is no formal rank where X > Y.

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Just to chip in here. Moderator, super-moderator and administrator all have slightly different privileges on what they are able to do on the forum. However, there is no formal rank where X > Y.
Thank you, that's all I was asking.
Although to me anyway, the impression given is the 'super' mods dictate what action is needed, then the non 'super' mods carry out their request.
Col

ColinEssex

Old registered user
Local time
Col, it isn't even that you picked up on something, but that you wouldn't let it go long after that discussion had faded.
There were differences in the story. I asked for clarification and was met with a brick wall. Then you intervened.

Anyway, I think you should stop mentioning that discussion, it's obvious there is more to it, silence is deafening. Also, I haven't mentioned Miss Markel for months, yet you keep referring to it.

Col

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
In reviewing this thread, I noticed a question that has not been answered and it is actually central to this theme.

Here is an example of the question: How is "banning drag shows" an example of hatred? Another form of it: How is "banning gay-themed books" an example of hatred? Or: How is "banning gay activities" an example of hatred?

Gays refer to themselves as "non-binary" because they don't feel that they quite fit into the male/female spectrum. That is at least in part because that traditional spectrum carries "baggage." We have phrases such as "Be a man about it" and similar cultural attachments to "manhood." There are phrases for women, too; cases where women are admonished to conform to cultural stereotypes. And the non-binary people of the world find that they cannot comfortably do so.

Hatred is non-binary in a different sense... it isn't just about black and white. You don't go from indifference to hatred in one giant step. There are degrees of hatred. Actions speak louder than words. So when you say you don't care to go to a drag show, fine. It isn't "your cup of tea." You avoid the drag show as a matter of preferring something else. In that context, no particular hatred has been expressed. But when you ban drag shows, you have publicly stated that someone else's preferences are unacceptable in society, like they were criminals. Yet drag shows are simply people dressing up differently and doing something in an attempt to reduce FEAR in the community. For reasons I don't always understand, people have a generic FEAR of gays and people in drag... which is most often unwarranted. Milton Berle was a famous comedian of the mid-20th century who did outrageous drag routines among other things, but his popularity was solid throughout his life and career.

When you ban gay activities, when you ban gay books, when you ban formal gay relationships, you express hatred for what some people do. When you analyze it more carefully, the harm you are doing to others is to dismiss them as people with their own ideas, loves, pain, and goals. I am reminded of Shylock's soliloquy in The Merchant of Venice. "If you prick us, do we not bleed?"

We know that gay people exist. They are real people, born in the same way as us but perhaps with some differences in birth characteristics. It is an example of hatred to say that people who look like you and are members of the same species are somehow NOT the same. At an autopsy, you would have a hard time seeing the difference.

We often point to certain books as classics. For instance, The Diary of Anne Frank is a memoir of growing up in a time of religious persecution. The book My Bondage and My Freedom (by Frederick Douglas) tells about life starting as a slave but gaining freedom. But books like Boy Erased: A Memoir get banned in libraries because it involves someone growing up gay. Why is it that we accept the first two but not the last? What makes the first two acceptable but the third one not?

People have thin skin these days. They find an insult in actions done by others, yet a rational analysis suggests that many of the insults are not personally aimed. People these days get bent out of shape because someone else didn't mow their lawn in a certain way, or their hedges aren't trimmed to a certain height. They get bent out of shape because someone else doesn't conform to THEIR standards. And they attempt to shame or, in the case of Home Owner Associations, legally compel someone to "toe the line." In some Islamic countries, they just execute the person who dares to be different, religiously or in terms of gender preference. This is a hatred of being different. We talk about slippery slopes. Hatred is yet another slippery slope because it starts out at mild dislike but ends with riots, executions, and lots of anguish for the victims of it.

Religious conservatives look at gay marriage as a threat to marriage. The "real" threat is that their beloved rigid, nearly iconoclastic images are being shown to be false. A lot of the negativity isn't about a gay person DOING something wrong, but about someone else facing the possibility that they might have been wrong in their thinking. Some people think that the greatest unkindness you can give someone is to have them face a truth that they don't like. And the resistance to that truth is the spark for that hatred to grow.

Gene Roddenberry (R.I.P.) had a vision of a future where people of different races (human and aliens from other planets) got along by suppressing all that fear of being different. Commander Spock treasured his IDIC award - "Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations." It always comes down to that saurian evolutionary heritage in humans, the source of our territoriality and selectively gregarious nature - to stay with your tribe and to shun all others. But if we cannot learn to grow past that "ascendancy of me and mine over thee and thine" viewpoint, we doom ourselves to endless conflict over petty differences.

Time to get off the soapbox, I need to prepare for my daily walk.

Last edited:

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 04:46
Maybe it's the proximity to children and why they want to be around them. If you say I don't want to expose my child to flamboyant males is that hatred or just common sense? I wouldn't want my young child to have story time with Hell's Angles either, I'm not comparing the two, but as a parent, you have to exercise good judgment and protect the innocent.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 07:46
Doc, you're buying into the the narrative of the left. Just because parents don't want their children exposed to adult sexual concepts, doesn't mean they hate gays or cross-dressers, etc or even want to ban such activities in adult context.

The race war was dying down so the left needed something else to divide the country and drag queens are the forefront of this new war. Near as I can tell, there was never a problem with drag shows when they were adult entertainment. It was only once warped people thought it was not only appropriate but required to expose children to them that they have become a problem. It isn't men dressing up as women (we all loved uncle Miltie), it is the sexually explicit aspect of the performances that disturb the parents. I personally think the "beauty pagent" cult that includes young children also sexualizes young girls as they are encouraged to live out the fantasies of their mothers. I was appalled when I watched a couple of episodes of the TV series that followed several children at the way they were dressed and taught to dance suggestively and make teasing poses.

Last edited:

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Maybe it's the proximity to children and why they want to be around them. If you say I don't want to expose my child to flamboyant males is that hatred or just common sense? I wouldn't want my young child to have story time with Hell's Angles either, I'm not comparing the two, but as a parent, you have to exercise good judgment and protect the innocent.

The difference is not that you don't want to expose your child to flamboyant gays, but HOW you choose to manage that non-exposure. Do you just avoid the event? Take your child to a theme park or water park? Rent an animated classic? OR do you take steps to prevent that event from happening in the first place?

One is expressing a preference. Nothing wrong with that. We all have differences in taste. As the French would say, chacun à son goût. (Each to his taste.) Also vive le différence! (Long live the difference!)

But the other extreme is to completely ignore the parallel rights that others may have to peaceably assemble (at least, here in the USA). If a Mardi Gras parade is legal, a gay pride parade is no worse from the viewpoint of parallel rights. And "separate but equal" as a rights concept has already been struck down as "not equal."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom