Debug error??? (1 Viewer)

Timfitz3050

Local time
Today, 02:32
I keep getting this debug error and I'm not understanding why. I'm new to this and trying to understand it the best I can. I used an online guide to help me build where I can run reports based on a combo box, and in testing I keep getting this debug error..
I put this in right
Me. Filter = ""
and then when I try to run the search, it give me this debug error.. please help..

1711628849827.png

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 07:32
You have a hyphen and not an equals sign?

Ranman256

Local time
FILTER spelled wrong.
but you dont need to set filter = "" if you are gonna turn it off. So no need for it.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:32
Ah, yes - the dreaded "writer's hypnosis" - where you look at what you have ACTUALLY written and see something else that you SWEAR that you wrote, thus not catching the typo. If it is any consolation, I'm an amateur (i.e. unpaid) novelist who has the same problem with non-tech words sometimes. Never sold a novel - but I have some pleasant rejection letters. Oh, well... can't write a magnum opus every time.

jdraw

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Tim,

You have received responses to your "debugging issue". I suggest you tell us more about the Reports you wish to run and the combobox used to select such reports.

Timfitz3050

Local time
Tim,

You have received responses to your "debugging issue". I suggest you tell us more about the Reports you wish to run and the combobox used to select such reports.
Here's the whole script..
I know Me.Filter = "" is spelled wrong on the script.. every time I correct it to the correct spelling, it will change back..

Here's what I'm trying to do.. I want to run a searchable report on several different fields.. I created a form and have a couple of combo boxes on there, just testing it out to see if I can get it to work (I followed this method with online instructions) This is for an Asset inventory that I'm doing, I have other fields that I want to add later, but I'm just working with two as of now..
I don't know why the spelling keeps changing on Me.Filter = ""
this is from 2 different tables, "Platform" and "Location" on one form to run a report..

Hope this helps..

1711633635046.png

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 07:32
Do you have a control by that name?, because it is spelt correctly where you comment Add filter?
Why not pass the criteria on the docmd.openreport?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 01:32
Here's the whole script..
I know Me.Filter = "" is spelled wrong on the script.. every time I correct it to the correct spelling, it will change back..

Here's what I'm trying to do.. I want to run a searchable report on several different fields.. I created a form and have a couple of combo boxes on there, just testing it out to see if I can get it to work (I followed this method with online instructions) This is for an Asset inventory that I'm doing, I have other fields that I want to add later, but I'm just working with two as of now..
I don't know why the spelling keeps changing on Me.Filter = ""
this is from 2 different tables, "Platform" and "Location" on one form to run a report..

Hope this helps..

View attachment 113324

Did you hand-type that? Because now there are TWO possible errors. It NOW reads Me dot Fitlter minus the quoted empty string. Gasman called the "minus" vs. "equals" issue in post 2. But the highlighting is what confuses me. That isn't Intellisense kicking in on the spelling of Filter because too much is included. That is the compiler calling out the syntax of something that is an incomplete expression. Which suddenly makes me wonder if you have disabled error notification. You should get a specific error message about what it doesn't like, but we can't see the error. That only happens when error notification is blocked. As a word of advice, NEVER turn of notifications unless and until you have an absolutely clean app. (In which case you might as well leave notifications on anyway, since on a clean app they would be quiet.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom