designing web booking.(new territory) (1 Viewer)

shutzy

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:19
i have built an access database that we use day to day in our business. it is primarily an appointment book with reports and stats that go with it. now i want to take it to the next level. online booking.

i am planning on exporting the access tables to mysql, this will be hosted on my pc not in the cloud. then i suppose the next step is to start build the php pages. i have not got a clue where to start. i do have a oscommerse website that has php and a cloud database so i have been looking at this to get a good idea. it hasnt helped that much.

so i need to know how to get started. how do i link to a database that is hosted on my pc. is it possible to do without a static ip.

i have also been reading this forum and reading different ideas on web design programs. could anyone recommend one. im notfantastic with vba but i thinki can hold my own so if i am able to write it in vba and the convert it somehow then i think that that would be the best way to go for me.

all help and advise will be taken seriously.

thank you

Simon_MT

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 14:19
Don't host locally on your PC because the up-speed on an asynchronous connection is slow. Some hosting site support Access databases as well as My-SQL however this still poses the problem of sychronising the databses.

How is a domain name server going to find your site if the IP address changes.

You will have to learn ASP or PHP and Java for your next step.

Simon

GSSDevelopment

PHP Guru
Local time
Today, 10:19
There are a few hurdles to look out for here.

1. Web Markup (HTML, CSS, and/or Template Frameworks) - You will need to learn at least the basics of how to generate a reasonable interface for users. There are a lot of great frameworks out there (like bootstrap) and template systems ()twig) which minimize the required micro knowledge, but you'll still need basic knowledge of how HTML and CSS changes affect rendering (and across different browsers).
  2. Web Programming - PHP is a great free solution for dynamically generating content, and there are some great frameworks for this, as well (Symfony2, CodeIgniter, etc.). However, you will still need to learn the basics of PHP and OOP to get the functionality that you want.

You won't be able to build a website with VBA and convert it to PHP/HTML, and as Simon suggested, you should host the MySQL DB elsewhere, preferably somewhere local to your web server. This will help to minimize issues with MySQL.

Ideally, if you have an online solution like this, you'll want the internal application running on the same database. Which means you'll really want to be converting everything to MySQL rather than Access.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom