Different DBs - different people/cultures (1 Viewer)

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Today, 04:44
I've noticed that this forum has a lot of foreign registrants. Is access more widely used outside of the USA rather than IN it? Being in the candidacy pool now for corporate employment, I've noticed very few job postings where access is a desired skillset. Matter of fact ive only seen 1 in 3 months and I was called by the recruiter bout that one. Do folks who live in foreign countries use access more than USA dwellers? If so what's the reason? This is just a speculation but I'm sure that the countries the political pundits in the usa call "3rd world" are still catching up to us and the developed countries like the uk and aussie, in terms of tech skills. Could it be that people in 3rd world nations who work in software and databases choose access because it is less complex with regard to configuration and maintenance than server-based db's like mysql, SQL server and oracle? Could it also be that folks in foreign countries do not have skills or don't want/need them in web development and cloud platforms? Someone want to educate me on this? What I've noticed on LinkedIn specifically is that the people who respond to my questions and interact with me are indeed foreigners that are obviously skilled in resource-rich languages like python, java and the .net framework. But like I mentioned in the "white supremacy" thread of mine, it is very evident that they are not being give the opportunity to participate in innovative projects and garner recognition or promotions. The evidence is clear on many levels but one tell-tale sign is when I post something praising foreign-based tech skill and and showing an advocacy for the "little guy", many foreigners always push the like button on the post. I've got 1st connections with a lot of foreigners on LI from a lot of different countries and most of the likes come people of middle eastern descent, Hispanics, folks from Africa and some from eastern europe.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Access is part of the best cheap-yet-effective office suite for the most popular O/S in the world. Law of averages says that places will use it no matter where they are. Please note that use of "best" in this case is a relative term based on diminutive comparison.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
so what is your view on "cheap", Richard? are you saying that a lot of foreign developers and/or companies that employ them generally don't have the capital to buy subscription services from big players like MS?

Steve R.

Retired
Local time
Today, 05:44
I've noticed that this forum has a lot of foreign registrants. Is access more widely used outside of the USA rather than IN it?
An interesting question. As with many people, I live in the US. There are many many people who live outside of the US. Several forums that I frequent, including this one, have members who reside in Europe(continent). It also seems that there is a "large" Linux based community in Europe. There are a bunch of free open source databases, the one I am using is MariaDB. A valid question emerges, Those outside the US, who are recently adopting information technology, may not be committed into Window's based environment. They are free to choose. Has Access past it's apogee to be eventually superseded by free open source databases?

Last edited:

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Has Access past it's apogee to be eventually superseded by free open source databases?
access is extremely old, Steve. there's always this classic article, written not long ago: https://medium.com/young-coder/micr...-database-software-that-wont-die-5b09e389c166

but even more than that Steve, there's always this recent piece of info from the news: https://techcrunch.com/2019/01/12/how-open-source-software-took-over-the-world/ , but that apparently has been in the making for quite some time: https://www.pcworld.com/article/203...king-over-the-software-world-survey-says.html

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 02:44
This is the second time in two days you have mentioned "white supremacy" how is Microsoft Access and white supremacy connected? Please enlighten us with your nonsensical jibber jabber.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
This is the second time in two days you have mentioned "white supremacy" how is Microsoft Access and white supremacy connected? Please enlighten us with your nonsensical jibber jabber.
I think you, AB, and the older folks around here are a little confused as to the POINT of that other thread I posted that had "speaking of white supremacy" in the title. I hope you realize that the thread was meant to BOOST the morale and confidence of foreign people because the USA constantly plays political games against them and tries to keep them out of authoritative positions. that is changing as time goes on of course, but it's still a huge problem in many companies. per Nautical Gent's post in that thread:
to the ethnic people reading this thread, I have to apologize on behalf of @vba_php......
I don't think he gets it either. why would he say that, or anything else regarding me and my "bigotry" if I am posting something that is NOT demeaning to "ethnic" people, but rather FOR them?

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
I think you, AB, and the older folks around here are a little confused as to the POINT of that other thread I posted that had "speaking of white supremacy" in the title.

You are right Adam, when someone writes "speaking of white supremacy" out of the blue I get confused. Who the hell was speaking of white supremacy? Except maybe the voices inside your head.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Adam, NG's post wasn't because of his feelings on white supremacy or keeping down any ethnicity. It was because you are so heavy-handed as to be offensive about it.

There IS such a thing as being a gadfly to shake up a conversation. But because he was such an extreme gadfly, Socrates was forced to commit suicide by poison.

You are anti-establishment which makes you a rebel of sorts. That, we can forgive easily. But your approach in that rebellious nature is often painful to watch. You want to tear down big business. You want to tear down Microsoft. You want to shatter the glass ceilings everywhere. But you have ABSOLUTELY NO CONCEPT of the consequences to society for what you are advocating. You don't think things through and that is a flaw that will forever hamper you.

I predict that you will try to counter with "but you don't know me well enough to say that I don't think things through." You want people to get to know you so that you think we will like what we see. But you have bared your soul on this forum often enough that we DO know more about you than you think (and more than we really wanted to know.) You are SHORTSIGHTED and that flaw is an impediment to corporate advancement. It is an impediment to starting a small business if that business is to have any chance of survival. You might or might not be a chess player but I can tell you that the odds are great that if you DO play chess that it isn't at tournament level.

While at the sub-micro level this might be a quantum-mechanical world, at the macro level it is all about cause and effect. Shortsightedness will hamper you from ever predicting long-term effects caused by the events you suggest. This is why you will also never make a good system analyst. You can see the forest but can't see the trees.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Who the hell was speaking of white supremacy? Except maybe the voices inside your head.
are you guys honestly going to tell ME that there is NOT still a serious problem in the USA among WHITE MEN and their obsession with being in charge of things? it doesn't happen everywhere, but if you look at the majority of people "in charge" in various orgs/churches (excluding foreign churches), etc..., they are indeed, WHITE MEN. and lets face it, the moron in the white house is certainly not helping!

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
You might or might not be a chess player but I can tell you that the odds are great that if you DO play chess that it isn't at tournament level.
I have no need whatsoever to think that much. That's probably why Bobby Ficsher went into seclusion and died so young. He thought so much he freakin went insane. Like a lot of philosophers in history as well. I offer you this Richard, don't over do it with your analysis or you'll end up like the big corps of the world and end up destroying yourself in the end. But Im sure you're smarter than that, being as wise as you are. :)

AccessBlaster

Registered User.
Local time
and lets face it, the moron in the white house is certainly not helping!
Put your seatbelts on, you guys will managed to get him re-elected, probably in a landslide. So congrats to you!

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
Put your seatbelts on, you guys will managed to get him re-elected, probably in a landslide. So congrats to you!
I wouldn't be so sure about that, AB. it's a tossup. but if the argument comes down to the robustness of the economy and the stock market doing well during his 1st tenure, than yeah, he'll probably garner another 4 years.

kevlray

Registered User.
Local time
Unfortunately I have not seen a viable candidate from the Democrats that I would trust to run the country (not that I necessarily actually trust Trump to do any thing correctly). Of course in a lot a ways, Congress has more power than the president (they can override a president's veto). But if a party has control of Congress and has the presidency, then that party tends to really control the direction the country takes.

vba_php

Forum Troll
Local time
But if a party has control of Congress and has the presidency, then that party tends to really control the direction the country takes.
that might be true but the reality of the separation of powers doctrine in the usa is probably what keeps us from coming under a fate similar to North Korea or Russia where 1 man controls everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom