Disconnect File Dialog from Access (1 Viewer)

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 05:17
I know that Congress approved TSA stuff, but I am STILL firmly convinced that the confiscatory policies and behavioral policies of the TSA are illegal as a violation of due process. Since I retired, I no longer have to fly to San Diego for anything and most of the places where my relatives live are within a one-day drive from New Orleans. Therefore, I don't raise a stink.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Today, 06:17
OK, here's another thought. So... you used the file dialog to locate a file. But if you are using the FSO, you can also look at the fully qualified file spec you found and extract its parts, then supply that information for the next invocation of the FileDialog. I.e. remember the last successful file as the starting point for the next folder to search.
Hey Doc,What would be the scenario that would make this useful?

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
This would work any time that you had multiple potential target files in the same folder but it wasn't the folder in which your FE or your BE were located.

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
use the FDialog for opening Folders that contain Fles for every kind of Program from thousands of Projects. Many of these are in sub-folders, sometimes two or three down from main folder. What I do now is right click one of the folders and "open it in another folder" a folder that is then disconnected from Access. This allows the folder to stay open for further files openings without the 4 or five clicks it takes to get there from Access which by this time is either minimized or closed.
I am not completely sure I understand the question, but if using a file browser the default is to reopen in the last location that a document was located. Not sure I understand why it would require multiple clicks once you locate the directory once. Am I missing something?

Attachments

• OfficeFileDialog.accdb
    412 KB · Views: 70

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
This would work any time that you had multiple potential target files in the same folder but it wasn't the folder in which your FE or your BE were located.
Hmm. The Database automatically open the Folders that are created for the current Project.
It's just a click away from the subfolder. Having said that opening a regular File Explorer page works perfectly for when the User will be in there for an extended time.

Another big problem that we more or less solved is Program File Saving Locations. I now have text box that displaces the path to the Root Folder for the Current Project, It has a cmdCopy next to it. This has been very helpful in saving files to the correct Folder. It's not without issues but it gets closer.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
I am not completely sure I understand the question, but if using a file browser the default is to reopen in the last location that a document was located. Not sure I understand why it would require multiple clicks once you locate the directory once. Am I missing something?
This whole thing is to get Users close to their destination. The database creates a Root Directory and several Subdirectories for each Project. Sometime, but not always, you may choose to leave a Subdirectory open. Most of the time just the Root directory for that would be the preferred choice. Most project manager have to do some multitasking.

I think the original answered question solves the problem. You can have two buttons one for fDialog and one for Application.FollowHyperlink "C:\FolderName"
That's where I am now.

Last edited:

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Thanks, I still do not fully understand the issue but sounds like it works. With a file dialog you can set the starting folder or open to last location. So I am not sure why you would ever have to click down multiple levels to find the file. You should always be able to start at the desired level. However, as you said there is no need to browse if you can open it with a click.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
Thanks, I still do not fully understand the issue but sounds like it works. With a file dialog you can set the starting folder or open to last location. So I am not sure why you would ever have to click down multiple levels to find the file. You should always be able to start at the desired level. However, as you said there is no need to browse if you can open it with a click.
Sorry, I reread it and added some punctuation. Sometimes, I need to slow down.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
I know that Congress approved TSA stuff, but I am STILL firmly convinced that the confiscatory policies and behavioral policies of the TSA are illegal as a violation of due process. Since I retired, I no longer have to fly to San Diego for anything and most of the places where my relatives live are within a one-day drive from New Orleans. Therefore, I don't raise a stink.
We all used to live in a village, and now 7 + billion live in the village with us. It's hard to keep track of the local bad guys when they live 6000 miles away. In the old days, they would form a posse and do a little cleaning house. TSA, and other measures, are a reasonable trade off.

The only reason TSA gets talked about is because some people feel they are inconvenienced. Fighting enemies is dirty business, I'm just thankful I don't have to be one of the Marshals. Besides, flying on an airplane is not a Constitutionally protected right, it's a privilege, and one of the conditions of enjoying that privilege, is to submit to a search.

Like you said, if you don't like it, don't fly.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
TSA, and other measures, are a reasonable trade off.
I can't remember who I am quoting but some pundit (and I paraphrase) said, " If you give up freedom for security, you will end up with neither"

TSA and how it operates gives the illusion of security as do masks and the vaccine. Some things provide real safety like breaks and seatbelts. After the CIA and other nameless agencies were caught flat-footed on 9/11, the government felt the need to "do something". So they came up with the TSA and the "patriot" act.

I'm a systems analyst and understand how manual systems can be efficient or not. The TSA could serve a useful function. In its present incarnation, it is sloppy and inefficient and makes going through an airport an unpleasant experience for no actual gain. They could do the same job with much more efficiency and much less intrusion into our privacy and far fewer people and therefore less of MY money by changing their procedures. The vast majority of people who travel are just that - people trying to get some place. The number of people looking to do us harm is miniscule. Don't punish the travelers as you look for the bad guys.

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Pat, the quote from Ben Franklin is

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

You should note, however, that the quote is most often taken out of context. It is not a general-situation quote but refers to someone in the Penn family (that originally owned Pennsylvania) bribing the state government on a tax issue. They were literally "purchasing" safety from taxes to contribute to defense. So while the quote sounds good, it is less obviously applicable than one might have hoped in context.

Thales750

Formerly Jsanders
Local time
I can't remember who I am quoting but some pundit (and I paraphrase) said, " If you give up freedom for security, you will end up with neither"

TSA and how it operates gives the illusion of security as do masks and the vaccine. Some things provide real safety like breaks and seatbelts. After the CIA and other nameless agencies were caught flat-footed on 9/11, the government felt the need to "do something". So they came up with the TSA and the "patriot" act.

I'm a systems analyst and understand how manual systems can be efficient or not. The TSA could serve a useful function. In its present incarnation, it is sloppy and inefficient and makes going through an airport an unpleasant experience for no actual gain. They could do the same job with much more efficiency and much less intrusion into our privacy and far fewer people and therefore less of MY money by changing their procedures. The vast majority of people who travel are just that - people trying to get some place. The number of people looking to do us harm is miniscule. Don't punish the travelers as you look for the bad guys.

Science and statistics should play a larger role in our opinions. Sadly,there is a huge portion of the American population that believes in the morning drive harbingers of doom.

Last edited:

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Doc, I've read several slightly different accounts of that story. I'm also fond of Ben's other famous quote. When asked by a lady as he was leaving the discussions regarding our new government, what type of government they were forming, his response was, "A republic Madam if you can keep it". Too bad we've lost sight of that one also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom