Solved Disconnect tables from backend at close (1 Viewer)

Rene vK

Local time
Today, 06:21
I am in a situation with FE and secured BE on a usb-drive. Everything I want it to do works...

One thing has occured; everybody can link to my linked tables via the FE when close (FE = .acdde)
Because the usb situation, I use Dev Ashish code for linking tables at the start of the FE.

Reading thru a heap of posts about Access and file-security I need a 'safe way out' of this. The quickest way looks to delete the linked tables at close the second is to somehow disconnect the tables from the BE. Is there some code to do the disconnect, otherwise I have to go tp the first solution and write code to link the tables at startup.

I have seen multiple solutions to use recordsets from the BE instead of linked tables, but that would take a bit of work.

thanks in advance!

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Yesterday, 22:21
Hi. I think to disconnect a linked table, you could try emptying out its Connect property.

Rene vK

Local time
Hi. I think to disconnect a linked table, you could try emptying out its Connect property.
Hi DBguy,

What I can find on changing the connect property, means pointing at another existing accessfile. For the reconnect at statup I need a string to evaluate the table to be linked. Your remark was the first thing I could come up to :)

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 05:21
Save all the table names and their destination database in a local table.

Use that to relink the tables on start-up, and then use that to simply delete the tables definition on exit in a loop.

db.TableDefs.Delete tdf.Name

Rene vK

Local time
Save all the table names and their destination database in a local table.

Use that to relink the tables on start-up, and then use that to simply delete the tables definition on exit in a loop.

db.TableDefs.Delete tdf.Name
Thx Minty,

That seems the only right solution.

thank you and DBguy for the reply.

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Yes, you can easily break the connections and relink at startup.
I always disconnect new versions of the FE before distributing to clients via my website.
The client then downloads the update and relinks to their BE. It works with both Access and SQL BEs

However, using a USB drive for your BE is risky. Any break in connection whilst in use could easily lead to corrupted data

Rene vK

Local time
Yes, you can easily break the connections and relink at startup.
I always disconnect new versions of the FE before distributing to clients via my website.
The client then downloads the update and relinks to their BE. It works with both Access and SQL BEs

However, using a USB drive for your BE is risky. Any break in connection whilst in use could easily lead to corrupted data
FE and BE are on the same stick. Extra security seems overdone but the client is working with patient confidentiallity. So I try to secure as best as possible.

In one of the discussions here I have seen a comment that "Access as frontend is not allways the best thing to go!" That is wat i also mentioned in a talk here at home.

Isaac

Lifelong Learner
Local time
Yesterday, 22:21
Delete and relink at startup

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
FE and BE are on the same stick. Extra security seems overdone but the client is working with patient confidentiallity. So I try to secure as best as possible.

In one of the discussions here I have seen a comment that "Access as frontend is not allways the best thing to go!" That is wat i also mentioned in a talk here at home.
I really wouldn't recommend using USB sticks. Having both FE and BE on the same USB doesn't make it secure. In many ways the opposite is true.
Its also only too easy to leave a USB stick lying around for anyone to pick up.

In terms of client confidentiality, you need to secure your BE data. Although that can be done reasonably well in Access (ask if you want to know how), your data would be even more secure in SQL Server or similar...but a USB stick would not work for that.
Nothing wrong with using Access as your FE but you should convert it to ACCDE to protect your forms, reports and code

Rene vK

Local time
I really wouldn't recommend using USB sticks. Having both FE and BE on the same USB doesn't make it secure. In many ways the opposite is true.
Its also only too easy to leave a USB stick lying around for anyone to pick up.

In terms of client confidentiality, you need to secure your BE data. Although that can be done reasonably well in Access (ask if you want to know how), your data would be even more secure in SQL Server or similar...but a USB stick would not work for that.
Nothing wrong with using Access as your FE but you should convert it to ACCDE to protect your forms, reports and code

I totaly agree with your opinion but in this case the USB is also secured with software that opens a virtual drive. The contents of the drive will be securly transferd for backup and, after a couple of attempts with faulty logins, destroyed.
She uses the application on different locations on different machines. "We did not start after one night of ice" s we say here in the Netherlands!

Last edited:

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Nevertheless the point about interrupted connections causing corruption is at least as applicable with both FE and BE on the same USB drive.
Where are your backups stored if the USB contents are destroyed after a couple of failed logins.

Rene vK

Local time
Nevertheless the point about interrupted connections causing corruption is at least as applicable with both FE and BE on the same USB drive.
Where are your backups stored if the USB contents are destroyed after a couple of failed logins.
secured cloud!

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
Hmm...your choice but I really wouldn't trust your setup for confidential patient info. I very much doubt it is GDPR compliant

Rene vK

Local time
Hmm...your choice but I really wouldn't trust your setup for confidential patient info. I very much doubt it is GDPR compliant
hmmm you think we jumped into this without getting informed??

isladogs

MVP / VIP
Local time
I've said my piece already. You wouldn't have posted this thread if you thought it was secure enough. I just have additional concerns.
Anyway good luck. I'll drop out now

Rene vK

Local time
I've said my piece already. You wouldn't have posted this thread if you thought it was secure enough. I just have additional concerns.
Anyway good luck. I'll drop out now
as said, We did not jump into this. but offcourse I am just a bloody amateur!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom