Disk drive madness (1 Viewer)

damFlarden2

Local time
Today, 16:43
I had a serious hdd (system) crash, so I bought a new drive, and installed w2k on it. When I try to add another SATA drive of 320 Gb in disk management, it says it's only 125 Gb. This drive is also new, a Hitachi. I could really have some help on this!

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
Long time ago, I struggled with sort of the same problem and I reckoned it had something to do with the SATA drivers installed.

I followed the following steps ( originally for XP, but worked fine in W2K) :
While loading Win 2000 on a computer with a serial ATA (SATA) hard drive, you will have to manually load the SATA drivers.
Copy the drivers from motherboard support CD *\DriverDisk\SATA\*.* into root directory of floppy disk. (i.e. root directory of floppy disk should contain \pide and \sata folders, txtsetup.oem, etc. files.)
Then, boot system by Win 2000 installation CD, when the message "Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver" shows up, press "F6". Then, press "S" to specify additional device when next screen pops up. Put the driver floppy disk you made in and press enter to continue. If the floppy disk is made successfully, the installation program will ask for selecting driver. Please then select "VIA Serial ATA RAID Controller(Win2000)".) After SATA driver loaded and Win2K can recognize the SATA HDD, you can continue to install Win2000 . The added HD should now give you 300Gb.

Hth

damFlarden2

Local time
Thnx Rak,

but I got a very simple tip from the supplier of the disks: it's just a setting in the register. A tool is downloadable from the Maxtor web site, this fixes the setting.

Greetings!

Ron_dK

Cool bop aficionado
Local time
damFlarden2 said:
.....it's just a setting in the register. A tool is downloadable from the Maxtor web site, this fixes the setting.

Greetings DamFlarden,
What tool might that be. I'm having maxtor meself and would appreciate
a pointer to the downloadable tool.

damFlarden2

Local time
Please check the links on the page mentioned above, specially those about 48 bit LBA. I've got an older BIOS, which doesn't seem to support 48 bit LBA. My doubt is, that though my harddisk supplier said this wouldn't be any problem, these articles state otherwise. So though I can see the larger disk amount in disk management, I'm not convinced it will work reliable.
My specs: P4P800 mb, W2K SP4.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom