Solved Display Issues for 2 Subforms of a Subform (1 Viewer)

kmolmstead

Local time
Today, 06:36
Issue I have a Main form and a main Subform, with that subform have two additional subforms. Both the subsubforms have controls on them all of which I want to manipulate, make visisble etc.
Main form is frm_SuperValidation, Main Subform is subfrm_ScenBal_Valid, with two subforms of that form subform_SuperValid and subfrm_SuprValidChkBox
The code that is causing me the problem is running on the Main subform, and its dealing with the two subforms. during the Current event of the main Subform.
I have a bunch of code that set things to not visible on one of the two subforms.
Code:
Me.Form![subfrm_SuperValid]!Af616EndBal.Enabled = False ' executes just fine no error'
'This is the last line of about 30 entries like this for different controls all execute fine
'This is the next line and fails with "You entered an expression that has an invalid reference to the property Form/Report."
Me.Form![subfrm_SuprValidChkBox]!btn_View_Cert.Enabled = False'

The scope has not changed still on the subfrom_ScenBal_Valid which both of these are member of at the same level.
Why does the first one work and the second one fails?

I have tried a lot of different configurations to get it to work like:
Code:
Forms("frm_SuperValidation").Controls("subfrm_ScenBal_Valid").Form.Controls("subfrm_SuprValidChkBox").form.controls("btn_View_Cert").Enabled = False
'Failed with same error
'I used the builder function in a query to get this'
[Forms]![frm_SuperValidation]![subfrm_ScenBal_Valid]![subfrm_SuprValidChkBox]![Form].[btn_View_Cert].Enabled = False
'Same error'

This form did work before without issues. The most recent change I made was I changed the record set of the main subform "subfrm_ScenBaal_Valid" from a record source based on a table to an SQL generated recordset that is created at runtime and set via the first On Open statement that fires in the chain of events when the entire form is opened. I don't think that is the issue, but it only broke after I made the change so maybe? But the code is just hiding/unhiding controls.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Last edited:

vhung

Local time
Today, 04:36
Issue I have a Main form and a main Subform, with that subform have two additional subforms. Both the subsubforms have controls on them all of which I want to manipulate, make visisble etc.
Main form is frm_SuperValidation, Main Subform is subfrm_ScenBal_Valid, with two subforms of that form subform_SuperValid and subfrm_SuprValidChkBox
The code that is causing me the problem is running on the Main subform, and its dealing with the two subforms. during the Current event of the main Subform.
I have a bunch of code that set things to not visible on one of the two subforms.
Code:
Me.Form![subfrm_SuperValid]!Af616EndBal.Enabled = False ' executes just fine no error'
'This is the last line of about 30 entries like this for different controls all execute fine
'This is the next line and fails with "You entered an expression that has an invalid reference to the property Form/Report."

The scope has not changed still on the subfrom_ScenBal_Valid which both of these are member of at the same level.
Why does the first one work and the second one fails?

I have tried a lot of different configurations to get it to work like:
Code:
Forms("frm_SuperValidation").Controls("subfrm_ScenBal_Valid").Form.Controls("subfrm_SuprValidChkBox").form.controls("btn_View_Cert").Enabled = False
'Failed with same error
'I used the builder function in a query to get this'
[Forms]![frm_SuperValidation]![subfrm_ScenBal_Valid]![subfrm_SuprValidChkBox]![Form].[btn_View_Cert].Enabled = False
'Same error'

This form did work before without issues. The most recent change I made was I changed the record set of the main subform "subfrm_ScenBaal_Valid" from a record source based on a table to an SQL generated recordset that is created at runtime and set via the first On Open statement that fires in the chain of events when the entire form is opened. I don't think that is the issue, but it only broke after I made the change so maybe? But the code is just hiding/unhiding controls.

Any help would be most appreciated.
very tough challenge;
= you got 4 forms, main + subform+2 load/unload forms
>i've tried before using main form then plus subforms, like using splitform with subforms
the same thing when you use control buttons it may have different codes...
but what i did is fit all, like a button on main form to control subform that could be simple
but using button to control forms on a subform is difficult, what i did is to make a trial using the "expression builder" connect the form through it or use textbox, when i got the syntax of connection then apply to the buttons for coding...
>then everything follows where you start the control else from form of subform,
always try "expression builder" to any buttons you use for target of control...
>SQL is good; is that query on MSAccess or Msql a source data "not reliable connection, somewhat it would create errror as operation goes long run"

Attachments

• Accdb Expression Builder.png
    Accdb Expression Builder.png
    100.5 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

kmolmstead

Local time
very tough challenge;
= you got 4 forms, main + subform+2 load/unload forms
>i've tried before using main form then plus subforms, like using splitform with subforms
the same thing when you use control buttons it may have different codes...
but what i did is fit all, like a button on main form to control subform that could be simple
but using button to control forms on a subform is difficult, what i did is to make a trial using the "expression bulider" connect the form through it or use textbox, when i got the syntax of connection then apply to the buttons for coding...
>then everything follows where you start the control else from form of subform,
always try "expression bulider" to any buttons you use for target of control...
>SQL is good; is that query on MSAccess or Msql a source data "not reliable connection, somewhat it would create errror as operation goes long run"
The main form houses the user being looked at. The main Subform holds all the data that applies to the user by business days. The subform_SuperValid holds the information that the Superintendent validates is correct, the subfrm_SuprValidChkBox displays different boxes depending on which business day is being evaluated. But that should not affect the ability to Hide/Undie controls.

The main form uses a SQL Select statement to pull data from the ScenarioStatus table regarding the target user.
The Main subform pulls data via a recordset created from a remote SQL call against the remote DB Object.
The subfrm_SuperValid updates the table ScenBal_SupValidate
The subfrm_SuprValidCheckBox updates the ScenarioStatus table, but the controls are displayed based on the On current event on the Main Subform, and the ID of the business day being looked at. When that date changes different fields are hidden and displayed.
ScenarioStatus and ScenBal_SupValidate are linked tables. All the forms tie together using the ScenBal_ID Foreign Key.

MSAccess. I am attempting to make connections to the back-end without actually linking the tables. I have testing material and answers to scenarios I don't want people getting at. The previous method, that is when the form worked, I linked the tables to the front-end and it worked no problem.

No buttons are being pushed at this point it is during the initial Current event where it is failing, and I would imagine every time it fires as well. Just cannot understand why I cannot hide a control. When the statements are nearly identical in syntax.

vhung

Local time
The main form houses the user being looked at. The main Subform holds all the data that applies to the user by business days. The subform_SuperValid holds the information that the Superintendent validates is correct, the subfrm_SuprValidChkBox displays different boxes depending on which business day is being evaluated. But that should not affect the ability to Hide/Undie controls.

The main form uses a SQL Select statement to pull data from the ScenarioStatus table regarding the target user.
The Main subform pulls data via a recordset created from a remote SQL call against the remote DB Object.
The subfrm_SuperValid updates the table ScenBal_SupValidate
The subfrm_SuprValidCheckBox updates the ScenarioStatus table, but the controls are displayed based on the On current event on the Main Subform, and the ID of the business day being looked at. When that date changes different fields are hidden and displayed.
ScenarioStatus and ScenBal_SupValidate are linked tables. All the forms tie together using the ScenBal_ID Foreign Key.

MSAccess. I am attempting to make connections to the back-end without actually linking the tables. I have testing material and answers to scenarios I don't want people getting at. The previous method, that is when the form worked, I linked the tables to the front-end and it worked no problem.

No buttons are being pushed at this point it is during the initial Current event where it is failing, and I would imagine every time it fires as well. Just cannot understand why I cannot hide a control. When the statements are nearly identical in syntax.
Try to make review with the previous settings you have when it still works,
>open another file with no problem then
back to that file where has the problem
maybe you could review some settings or codes/ connections/ ID MASTER KEY

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 11:36
The Subforms Load before the main form normally so if your data isn't present on the main form, at that point you'll get an error, however, the current event on the main form will fire before the Load event. (It does for some reason.)

Therefore you may need to force or alter the order in which your subforms load and your main forms events fire.
You can do this by setting the subform container controls source object to nothing and then adding it back in when it's appropriate in your Main forms load and current event.
I would also check in the current event that the form is loaded before making any changes to controls on it.

The best way to refer to the subforms is to ensure that the Control that contains it isn't called the same as the actual subform. I normally change the default name to something like;

sfrm_MySubform that holds a form object called sfr_MySubform - I would change the subform container to
cont_sfrm_Mysubform.

This avoids any ambiguity about what you are referring to.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Hi. Can you post a sample copy of your db with test data?

kmolmstead

Local time
Hi. Can you post a sample copy of your db with test data?
Sorry no the program I am building is on an offline system. Also it would be to difficult to replace the actual data with test data.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Sorry no the program I am building is on an offline system. Also it would be to difficult to replace the actual data with test data.
Could you create a mock up version?

MajP

You've got your good things, and you've got mine.
Local time
Today, 07:36
Why does the first one work and the second one fails

This works in the first case because the subform control for subFrm_superValid is also called subFrm_SuperValid.
Fails in the second case because the subform control for subfrm_SuperValidChkBox is not called subFrm_SuperValidChkBox. You need to get the real name of the subform control

Also no need for "Form" in this context
Me![subfrm_SuprValidChkBox]!btn_View_Cert.Enabled
or
Me.subfrm_SuprValidChkBox.form.btn_View_Cert.Enabled

The error is quite obvious if you read the error message
"You entered an expression that has an invalid reference to the property Form/Report.""
You are trying to reference a control by a name that does not exist. There is no control on your form called "subFrm_SuperValidChkBox". Put money on it, it is called "Child1" or something like that.

kmolmstead

Local time
The Subforms Load before the main form normally so if your data isn't present on the main form, at that point you'll get an error, however, the current event on the main form will fire before the Load event. (It does for some reason.)

Therefore you may need to force or alter the order in which your subforms load and your main forms events fire.
You can do this by setting the subform container controls source object to nothing and then adding it back in when it's appropriate in your Main forms load and current event.
I would also check in the current event that the form is loaded before making any changes to controls on it.

The best way to refer to the subforms is to ensure that the Control that contains it isn't called the same as the actual subform. I normally change the default name to something like;

sfrm_MySubform that holds a form object called sfr_MySubform - I would change the subform container to
cont_sfrm_Mysubform.

This avoids any ambiguity about what you are referring to.

Misaligned processes was may original thinking as well. So I did some Diagnostic Testing. I commented all of the code out of the four forms' events and they fire in this order:
frm_subfrm_SuperValid Open has code and I suspect the offending line of code that causes the issue
frm_subfrm_SuperValid Load EMPTY
frm_subfrm_SuperValid Current EMPTY
frm_subfrm_SuprValidChkBox Open EMPTY
frm_subfrm_SuprValidChkBox Load EMPTY
frm_subfrm_SuprValidChkBox Current EMPTY
frm_ScenBal_Valid Open EMPTY
frm_ScenBal_Valid Load EMPTY
frm_ScenBal_Valid Current Code
frm_SuperValidation Open EMPTY
frm_SuperValidation Load EMPTY
frm_SuperValidation Current Code

At this point I am just tracing the event stream, without running the code.

With the code is active it behaves like this:
frm_subfrm_SuperValid Open Last line of code before End Sub
Set Forms!frm_SuperValidation!subfrm_ScenBal_Valid.form.Recordset = tempRs_ScenBal
End Sub does not fire
frm_subfrm_SuperValid Load Skipped no code to run anyway
frm_subfrm_SuperValid Current skipped no code to run anyway
frm_subfrm_SuprValidChkBox Open skipped no code to run anyway (BUT I suspect since it did not get here it did not load)
frm_subfrm_SuprValidChkBox Load skipped no code to run anyway
frm_subfrm_SuprValidChkBox Current skipped no code to run anyway
frm_ScenBal_Valid Current fires but errors out when calling controls on frm_subfrm_SuprValidChkBox, Now I know why.

I attempted to fix this by setting variable to true if I was exiting the first forms open statements thinking that it would eventually circle back to the End Sub for the first Open event and then continue on with the rest of the events chain as normal. When the frm_subfrm_SuprValidChkBox Current executed I set the variable to false so it would run the next time it was fired. When I did that, the frm_ScenBal_Valid current event never fired again, nor did the other events in between the two events. I.e. the offending form did not load, which is why that code did not work. It was not loaded into the form yet, so access could not find it.

So Yes I would like some guidance on how to manipulate and control how the forms load and in what order.

kmolmstead

Local time

This works in the first case because the subform control for subFrm_superValid is also called subFrm_SuperValid.
Fails in the second case because the subform control for subfrm_SuperValidChkBox is not called subFrm_SuperValidChkBox. You need to get the real name of the subform control

Also no need for "Form" in this context
Me![subfrm_SuprValidChkBox]!btn_View_Cert.Enabled
or
Me.subfrm_SuprValidChkBox.form.btn_View_Cert.Enabled

The error is quite obvious if you read the error messaage
"You entered an expression that has an invalid reference to the property Form/Report.""
You are trying to reference a control by a name that does not exist. There is no control on your form called "subFrm_SuperValidChkBox". Put money on it, it is called "Child1" or something like that.
You lost. There is a control called subFrm_SuperValidChkBox. But I think I found the reason. Just posted my explination of the problem.

kmolmstead

Local time
Could you create a mock up version?
I would like to, but I cannot. It has a very complex structure. It uses three/four databases, one Global, two on a server and one on the local HD. The Global and 1 server one are Encrypted Back Ends. The other server one serves and the install piece to put the front end onto their machine, essentially copies the front end down to their documents. The code in the start up sequence determines install location and drives different even chains, on Server not first setup, Set up but not installed, Installed running from Hard Drive.

Anyway, I think I discovered the issue, miss firing events.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
I would like to, but I cannot. It has a very complex structure. It uses three/four databases, one Global, two on a server and one on the local HD. The Global and 1 server one are Encrypted Back Ends. The other server one serves and the install piece to put the front end onto their machine, essentially copies the front end down to their documents. The code in the start up sequence determines install location and drives different even chains, on Server not first setup, Set up but not installed, Installed running from Hard Drive.

Anyway, I think I discovered the issue, miss firing events.
Okay, I understand. Good luck!

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
So Yes I would like some guidance on how to manipulate and control how the forms load and in what order.
As stated subforms load before the main forms load event fires. So, remove all the source objects from the subform containers.
Set up any variables that the subforms might rely on in the Main forms Open event. This fires before the load events of everything else.
In the main forms load event, set the various subform containers source objects to the subforms you need, in the order that makes sense.

Bear in mind that you have subforms in subforms so you will have to ensure you load them in the right order.
Once you set the source object of the container, that subforms open, current and load events will fire, in that order.

Use a lot of debugs to see what is happening and where.

Remember to change your subform container names, it will help you a lot in the long term.

kmolmstead

Local time
Or are you taking about Name on the Other tab of the form's Property Sheet. I see the object has a name and a source object, right now mine are the same. I may or may not change them. But I do see your point about the "container" name versus the source object reference. I do understand the Name of the subform objects on the main form can be anything I want.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
The subform object is held in a control, the subform container.
If you drag and drop a from onto another form in design mode, by default access (badly) sets the Name of subform container control to the same as the subform name.

This can lead to lots of confusion and unforeseen, difficult to spot errors, as @MajP had not surprisingly presumed was the case.

Hence the suggestion to change it. In VBA code you refer to the controls name, so make it obvious what you are referencing, and avoid the ambiguity.

TBH this is similar to the advice to change default textbox control names to something other than the field name. The same confusion can arise.
Instead of Me.Field1 change the control name to txtField1 or cboField1 or chkField1 depending on the control type.

You now can easily refer to the underlying data, or the control and know what you are dealing with.

kmolmstead

Local time
Hence the suggestion to change it. In VBA code you refer to the controls name, so make it obvious what you are referencing, and avoid the ambiguity.

This was not an issue of misnamed objects. It was an issue of events firing in the wrong order and calling an object whose creation was bypassed when the references to the object were called.

Update: Got it to work finally.
Here is my solution as is based on Minty's suggestions to control the subforms creation process.
I cleared the SourceObject from all subforms.
But I needed to set things in a very specific order, an order which caused the entire problem that generated this thread.
I needed the RecordSource set for subfrm_ScenBal_Valid before I loaded the two other subforms in this object.
This was because if I do it later I get two sets of parameter input boxes ID and ScenBal_ID The master and Child link fields subforms to the main subform.
I solved this by setting two Boolean variables to allow bypass of the offending code area on the subfrm_ScenBale_Valid which fails because the subform it is referred to but not created yet, The root cause that lead to this thread.

So this is where it stands:
Code:
frm_SuperValidation Form_Load
LoadProc = True 'This allows skipping the Form_Current event of subform_ScenBal_Valid'
Forms![frm_SuperValidation]!subform_ScenBal_Valid.SourceObject = "subfrm_ScenBal_Valid"
LoadProc = False
Me.subform_ScenBal_Valid!subfrm_SuperValid.SourceObject = "Form.subfrm_SuperValid"
Me.subform_ScenBal_Valid!subfrm_SuprValidChkBox.SourceObject = "subfrm_SuprValidChkBox"
Me.subfrm_ScenBal_Valid.requery ' Forces the subfrm_ScenBal_Valid On Current event to fire'
End Sub

subfrm_SuperValid Form_Open
'This gets called twice, once from the Forms![frm_SuperValidation]!subform_ScenBal_Valid.SourceObject  and then again
'Me.subform_ScenBal_Valid!subfrm_SuperValid.SourceObject
'It must fire the first time but Cannot fire any other time.
Dim tempRs_ScenBal as Recordset
If LoadProc = False then Exit Sub ' Second and later runs will cause error for missing data'
if ProcChk - True  then Exit Sub ' But every run after first the above will be true ( LoadProc = False) forces exit if run already'
if lc_db Is Noting Call SetEnviro ' Calls my set Environment routine to fix lc_db object if nothing'
strSQL = "SELECT * FROM ScenarioBalancing"
Set tempRs_ScenBal = lc_db.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbOpenSnapshot)
ProcChk = True 'Forces the next iteration of this code to be bypassed'
Set Forms!frrm_SuperValidation!subfrm_ScenBal_Valid.Recordset = tempRs_ScenBal
End Sub

Subfrm_ScenBal_Valid Form_Current " added two lines of code"
if LoadProc Then Exit Sub ' Forces exit if just changing the recordset this causes the errors leading to this thread if it fires'

Unaltered code as original and the problems of not finding the object is not experienced because it is not run while the sub object do not exist yet.
On Second and Later runs loadProc will be false allowing the code to function as normal.

'Add in Exit_Sub area'
ProcChk = False 'This sets the variable so code in subfrm_SuperVlaid Form_Open does not run again'

Basically I set two Global variables to handle when various pieces of code fire and in such a manner to eliminate all errors in processing time lines.
However, I have another issue cropped up. I have a calculation that performs a comparison based on one of the subforms. Since, I removed the SourceObject in design I don't think it can find the object to perform its calculation. Its a #Type! Error. This worked before these changes, so I doubt its a wrong format issue. So have to figure that out, but that should be easy. If anything I perform the calculation in code and plug the results in.

Thank you everyone for your thought provoking ideas and assistance.
Happy Coding everyone.

Last edited:

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
This was not an issue of misnamed objects. It was an issue of events firing in the wrong order and calling an object whose creation was bypassed when the references to the object were called.

Update: Got it to work finally.
Here is my solution as is based on Minty's suggestions to control the subforms creation process.
I cleared the SourceObject from all subforms.
But I needed to set things in a very specific order, an order which caused the entire problem that generated this thread.
I needed the RecordSource set for subfrm_ScenBal_Valid before I loaded the two other subforms in this object.
This was because if I do it later I get two parameter input boxes ID and ScenBal_ID The master and Child link fields subforms to the main subform.
I solved this by setting two Boolean variables to allow bypass of the offending code area on the subfrm_ScenBale_Valid which fails because the subform it is referred to but not created yet, The root cause that lead to this thread.

So this is where it stands:
Code:
frm_SuperValidation Form_Load
LoadProc = True 'This allows skipping the Form_Current event of subform_ScenBal_Valid'
Forms![frm_SuperValidation]!subform_ScenBal_Valid.SourceObject = "subfrm_ScenBal_Valid"
LoadProc = False
Me.subform_ScenBal_Valid!subfrm_SuperValid.SourceObject = "Form.subfrm_SuperValid"
Me.subform_ScenBal_Valid!subfrm_SuprValidChkBox.SourceObject = "subfrm_SuprValidChkBox"
Me.subfrm_ScenBal_Valid.requery ' Forces the subfrm_ScenBal_Valid On Current event to fire'
End Sub

subfrm_SuperValid Form_Open
'This gets called twice, once from the Forms![frm_SuperValidation]!subform_ScenBal_Valid.SourceObject  and then again
'Me.subform_ScenBal_Valid!subfrm_SuperValid.SourceObject
'It must fire the first time but Cannot fire any other time.
Dim tempRs_ScenBal as Recordset
If LoadProc = False then Exit Sub ' Second and later runs will cause error for missing data'
if ProcChk - True  then Exit Sub ' But every run after first the above will be true ( LoadProc = False) forces exit if run already'
if lc_db Is Noting Call SetEnviro ' Calls my set Environment routine to fix lc_db object if nothing'
strSQL = "SELECT * FROM ScenarioBalancing"
Set tempRs_ScenBal = lc_db.OpenRecordset(strSQL, dbOpenSnapshot)
ProcChk = True 'Forces the next iteration of this code to be bypassed'
Set Forms!frrm_SuperValidation!subfrm_ScenBal_Valid.Recordset = tempRs_ScenBal
End Sub

Subfrm_ScenBal_Valid Form_Current " added two lines of code"
if LoadProc Then Exit Sub ' Forces exit if just changing the recordset this causes the errors leading to this thread if it fires'

Unaltered code as original and the problems of not finding the object is not experienced because it is not run while the sub object do not exist yet.
On Second and Later runs loadProc will be false allowing the code to function as normal.

'Add in Exit_Sub area'
ProcChk = False 'This sets the variable so code in subfrm_SuperVlaid Form_Open does not run again'

Basically I set two Global variables to handle when various pieces of code fire an in such a manner to eliminate all errors in processing time lines.
However I have another issue cropped up. I have a calculation that performs a comparison based on one of the subforms. Since I removed the SourceObject in design I don't think it can find the object to perform its calculation. Its a #Type! Error. However this worked before these changes, so I doubt its a wrong format issue. So have to figure that out, but that should be easy. If anything I perform the calculation in code and plug the results in.

Thank you everyone for your thought provoking ideas and assistance.
Happy Coding everyone.
Hi. Thanks for sharing your solution. Continued success with your project.

Minty

AWF VIP
Local time
You can also set the subforms Link Data fields in code to resolve your problem of it prompting for them if they don't exist at that time.

Glad you got most of it resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom