Display value of Field1 and Field2 (1 Viewer)

JagGa

Local time
Today, 22:05
Hi there:
I have form Form1 and subform in it Form2, these both forms are used to populate two different tables. Both these tables contain similar text fields(such that CompanyName, address,etc). During data entry I want to display the information that has been entered in Form 1 (for text fields CompanyName and Address), in my subform Form2 having same fields, without reentering them again(so that it displays whatever entered in the text fields in form1). I tried DLookUP() but its not working for some reason. Does anyone know any alternative to this?
I'll appreciate your help.

-JagGa

KDg

Registered User.
Local time
Hi JaGa,

sounds as if you have a structure problem, what you want can be done in code but if your at the start of this project then getting it right now will save lots of effort later. You should really have the tables structured so that you only store company name, adress etc once. You can then refer to these by ID number. If you check out Normalisation on google/excite etc. it should give you some good pointers to save you unneccesary coding. The biggest problem if you don't is that one of those companies will move or change its name - you then have to change every record in both tables. If you normalise it then one change will cover it and you're guaranteed safe from typos making companies look like multiple instances,

HTH,

Drew

JagGa

Local time
Hi Drew,
Yes, I agree with you on normalization but this is a typical problem. So, I must figure out what can be done to display value of one field into another.

KDg

Registered User.
Local time
I'm not sure what you mean by 'a typical problem' - surely only if the db isn't normalised? If all you want is to move a value over you should be able to do me.txtFieldName=Forms!Form1!txtFieldName on open of the new form?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom