Dlookup to return previous day closing (1 Viewer)

raziel3

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 16:33
Hello,
I have query with the following fields from the Data Table
DaysWork: CloseDate
Lane: Source
ClosingCash: Cash
PrevDate: Format(DateAdd('d',-1,[CloseDate]),"dd/mm/yyyy")
Opening: Dlookup("ClosingCash","Data","[Source]= '" & [Lane] & "'" AND [CloseDate] =#" & [PrevDate] & "#")

Lane/Source is a text field. The problem I am having is the Dlookup returns the previous day's Cash but in some of the fields. The fields with text like CashDrawer'1 (I did not label this) returns #Error and other fields remains blank. What am I doing wrong?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 13:33
Try

Dlookup("ClosingCash","Data","[Source]= " & Chr(34) & [Lane] & Chr(34) & " AND [CloseDate] =#" & [PrevDate] & "#")

though a query join would typically be used. Tricky with the previous date though, and it's dinner time here so I've got to go.

raziel3

Registered User.
Local time
I'm still getting #Error with the fields that have the "CashDrawer'1" text and now it not returning any values. Can you help me with a join query?

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Really? Can you attach the db here?

raziel3

Registered User.
Local time
Ok, I got it to work. What was happening, well at least what I think was the problem, I was working on the db on 2 different computers. One computer had the date format mm/dd/yyyy and the other dd/mm/yyyy so I was forcing [PrevDate] to try to get the ClosingCash for 1/8/2018 when the ClosingCash was being seen as 8/1/2018 so no ClosingCash was returned.

Also, I cannot use [OpeningCash] as part of a formula. For example, I want to create another field in the query Net: [ClosingCash]-[Opening]. I've attached for you to take a look. View attachment MyDB.zip

I already have a whole set of records in the dd/mm/yyyy format how can I make the query 'universal' so it doesn't matter what the system date format is?

I really want to explore the query joins you mentioned. I've heard that Dlookups can cause performance issues when your database begins to grow and I expect that a lot of records will be added in the future.

Last edited:

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
I was thinking the DLookup() was looking at a different table. Try this:

SELECT Data.CloseDate, Data.Source, Data.ClosingCash, (SELECT TOP 1 Dupe.ClosingCash FROM Data As Dupe WHERE Dupe.Source = Data.Source AND Dupe.CloseDate < Data.CloseDate ORDER BY Dupe.CloseDate DESC, Dupe.ID) AS OpeningCash
FROM Data
ORDER BY Data.CloseDate, Data.Source;

which uses Allen's method:

http://allenbrowne.com/subquery-01.html#AnotherRecord

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Happy to help!

raziel3

Registered User.
Local time
I was thinking the DLookup() was looking at a different table. Try this:

SELECT Data.CloseDate, Data.Source, Data.ClosingCash, (SELECT TOP 1 Dupe.ClosingCash FROM Data As Dupe WHERE Dupe.Source = Data.Source AND Dupe.CloseDate < Data.CloseDate ORDER BY Dupe.CloseDate DESC, Dupe.ID) AS OpeningCash
FROM Data

which uses Allen's method:

http://allenbrowne.com/subquery-01.html#AnotherRecord

Is there anyway to improve efficiency? My database is growing and this is taking a while (about 2-3 seconds) to run the query. Sometimes the screen goes blank.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Normally I'd expect to run it for a range of dates, like the last month. That should speed it up. Are you always going to run it on the whole table?

raziel3

Registered User.
Local time
Yes. In addition to previous month comparisons I need to do previous year.

raziel3

Registered User.
Local time
Normally I'd expect to run it for a range of dates, like the last month. That should speed it up. Are you always going to run it on the whole table?

Hi, a while back you suggested this:

Code:
FROM Data

to help me get the previous day's closing balances. Now that more records are being added I'm getting this error now "At most one record can be returned by this sub-query". Is there anyway to get around this besides setting a date parameter?

I want to return all the records for a year but the query has 4 months of data and it started to giving me this error.

pbaldy

Wino Moderator
Staff member
Local time
My guess is that there are 2 records with the same CloseDate and ID. Is ID not unique?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom