dmax syntax (1 Viewer)

John Sh

Local time
Tomorrow, 02:29
I have a string field "BoxNo" that has a mix of numbers and text. I.e. "5" and "Bulk". I need the highest number from the field.
Without any conversion it always returns say 9 rather than 10, with "9" being a higher ansi character than "1"
I am using the dmax function but can't get the syntax right.
My basic query is "Me.txtBoxNo = DMax("val(""boxno"")", "All", "[family]")"
I have tried all the variations between Val and boxno that I can think of but always get the error "Syntax error in expression"max(val("boxno"))".
As always, any suggestions greatfully accepted.

arnelgp

..forever waiting... waiting for jellybean!
Local time
Tomorrow, 00:29
[family] should be Yes/No field.

Me.txtBoxNo = DMax("Format(val('boxno'), '0000')", "All", "[family]")"

The_Doc_Man

Immoderate Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 11:29
Just note that Arnel's answer should work but only for up to 4 digits. Also, with the string being a mix of text and digits, does it ever happen that the BoxNo starts with text? Or do they ALWAYS start with digits followed by text?

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:29
Sounds like you may be using one field when you should be using two. Why are some values strings and others numbers?

John Sh

Local time
Tomorrow, 02:29
The boxNo field had entries like "Bulk" etc. There were only a few so I shifted them elsewhere in the table.
I have converted the rest to integers, they only go up to 90.
What threw me was the crazy combination of double and single quotes. My final code is below.
Ivar = Me.cboFamily
Me.txtBoxNo = DMax("boxno", "All", "[family]='" & Ivar & "'")
This works perfectly and returns the highest box number for a particular family.
My thanks to those who offered much needed help.

Pat Hartman

Super Moderator
Staff member
Local time
Today, 12:29
Strings work differently from numbers. If your strings contain 9 and 10, then 9 would be "highest". However if your field is defined as numeric, then 10 would be highest.

Strings are examined character by character, left to right and 9 is > 1 so that makes 9 higher than 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom