Does Hacking have victims? (1 Viewer)

ssteinke

for what it's worth
Local time
Today, 07:11
My experience with hackers is, they think that Hacking is a victimless crime, usually someone with nothing better to do than sit at home, and prove to themselves how empressive their skills are.

The fruit that hacked this site is just that, a fruit, and would never have courage to show himself from behind the anonymity of cyberspace.

That said, I for one rely on this site for those 'bits and pieces' of programming that I may need from time to time, and as a result, I was wondering if this site downtime, caused by the 'Fruit Hack', has effected anyone?

MrsGorilla

Rat Race Participant
Local time
Today, 06:11
Evidently, since the company that Jon hosts the site with only holds one day's worth of backups, all the vast wealth of information that I have come to rely on as well is gone. Hopefully it won't take long to rebuild the "archive". But in the meantime it will take longer to accomplish things, as I/we will have to post and wait for responses rather than having a handy search function. :mad:

Hayley Baxter

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 12:11
seems such a shame really, not only have we lost the valuable posts, we have also lost the many good threads in the watercooler. It's really disappointing :(

Hay

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Hayley Baxter said:
seems such a shame really, not only have we lost the valuable posts, we have also lost the many good threads in the watercooler. It's really disappointing :(

Hay
On the bright side, endless pages of bickering have also been wiped away. Perhaps without the ability to revisit earlier grievances and search out at exactly what point we pissed each other off, we can start with a clean slate and restore the 'Cooler to the cheery place of yore. :D ;)

dgoulston

Hasn't Got A Clue
Local time
i knew a hacker back in college, and he hacked some serious sites, but he never did it becuase he wanted to piss people off, or destroy stuff, he did it for the attention he got from causing chaos, and it seems that is the main thing these small time hackers do it from, just a bit of notice,

i have to say though he was an honarable hacker, because he knocked things out, but allways restored them to there norm afterwards, its just very sad to remove the stored knowledge from this forum, becuase it doesnt really affect anyone to an extreame, becuase even though the stored knowleged is temporly destroyed, it lives within all the members of this forum who have been here for years, and im sure will be for years to come.

I have been a member of this forum for around 4 years now i would guess, and have helped some and been helped by many, so yes there may be a set back here, but it will not stop the helping that this forum provides.

Dal

R

Rich

Kraj said:
we can start with a clean slate and restore the 'Cooler to the cheery place of yore. :D ;)
As long as right wing gun ho Bush supporters don't barge in

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 21:11
Well, we'll just keep typing "Failure" into google and clicking "I'm feeling lucky"

Len Boorman

Back in gainfull employme
Local time
Frankly hackers totally p*** me off.

What have they achieved really except p******* me off.

Recorded experience that was so useful to so many people has gone, However those that possess the experience are still here and will no doubt pass that on to others when the need arises.

So it is inconvenience for the information searcher and inconvenience for the information poster that has been achieved.

If you, the hacker, are looking in then your total effectiveness has been inconvenience. What a total waste of everybodies time.
You really are a 24 carat plonker

Len

mitchem1

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
I'm not a right wing gun ho Bush supporter. But your idiotic post above is proof perfect that you don't need people like that to get on one of your tirades. You start the crap all by yourself.

R

Rich

mitchem1 said:
I'm not a right wing gun ho Bush supporter. But your idiotic post above is proof perfect that you don't need people like that to get on one of your tirades. You start the crap all by yourself.
I see the hang 'em high brigade's filling the kangaroo courtroom already. :rolleyes:
Which part's crap by the way?

mitchem1

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
I see the hang 'em high brigade's filling the kangaroo courtroom already. :rolleyes:
The way you twist any and all threads into an "it's GW's fault" tirade is crap. Your obsession with George is crap. Pull your head out of your arse, take a deep breath and see if you can go an entire day (or even 30 seconds) without blaming the entire world's problems on Bush. (and again, I'm not right wing. I think George is rather dim. But you've made your point. Give it a rest)

jrjr

A work in progress
Local time
So, it is not just me I guess. I have been trying to get into the site for 2 days with no luck. Finally I tried a google search and was able to pull up a post which then enabled me to find the new posts section.

I cannot see the main forum page nor any of the topic headings such as general, forms, etc. When I click a link like that I get a blank page that says 'done' in the page footer.

I assume this is being fixed or is it just me????

:(

Edit:
I found some more threads and conclude that the hacking has taken out the original structure of the forums so that they no longer work.

I am forming a hacker posse now... anyone wanna saddle up?

Last edited:
R

Rich

mitchem1 said:
The way you twist any and all threads into an "it's GW's fault" tirade is crap. Your obsession with George is crap. Pull your head out of your arse, take a deep breath and see if you can go an entire day (or even 30 seconds) without blaming the entire world's problems on Bush. (and again, I'm not right wing. I think George is rather dim. But you've made your point. Give it a rest)
I responded to a response from another member, how you deal with it is up to you, but if you think that gives you the right to use Bush style justice ala Gitmo style on me, then you're gonna be disappointed.
Oh and you need to read a few more posts of mine before making rash judgements on me, stop acting like the American justice department does since Bush took over :rolleyes:

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Kraj said:
On the bright side, endless pages of bickering have also been wiped away. Perhaps without the ability to revisit earlier grievances and search out at exactly what point we pissed each other off, we can start with a clean slate and restore the 'Cooler to the cheery place of yore. :D ;)
Rich said:
mitchem1 said:
Well that didn't take long did it? :rolleyes:

Vassago

Former Staff Turned AWF Retiree
Local time
Rich, did you forget to change your depends again? :p

Oldsoftboss

AWF VIP
Local time
Today, 21:11
Vassago said:

I think he's trying to make up for lost time and retrieve the lost 10,000 posts :p

Dave

R

Rich

Vassago said:
Nah, you know me Vass, I just have to keep up the fight against tyranny, repression and worst of all, lies damn lies and yet more lies :mad: ;)

Kraj

Registered User.
Local time
Rich said:
Nah, you know me Vass, I just have to keep up the fight against tyranny, repression and worst of all, lies damn lies and yet more lies :mad: ;)
*Kraj goes to search the forum for posts where Rich propogated a lie or provided misinformation..... DAMN! Where'd they all go???* ;) :p

JoeSanders

Local time
Rich said:

More or less all of it.

This is my first post amazing that I’m already such an expert on spotting BS.

R

Rich

JoeSanders said:
More or less all of it.

This is my first post amazing that I’m already such an expert on spotting BS.
Pitty you've missed all of Bushes then :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom