Drag and Drop Outlook Emails to Form and Save it Windows Explorer Specific Folder (1 Viewer)

gsrajan

Registered User.
Local time
Today, 06:27
Kindly let me know whether it is possible:

1. Drag outlook one email or email attachment alone from outlook folder to access form container ( Text box etc., )
2. Windows explorer specific folder opens up automatically ( I have the folder link in a text box called txtLink )
3. User saves navigates to this specific or sub folder and save the email or attachment
4. The form container is emptied

Thank you for your help. Stay safe.

gsrajan

Registered User.
Local time
Thank you. I will try this once my registration is accepted with this website.

cajulien

Local time
Disclaimer: I love drag & drop, I think it makes UX sense. This being said, my current position is that it is generally not worth the complexity and reliably issues to implement in Access, but I could be wrong obviously.

I researched and developed drag & drop from Win Explorer a few months ago: in the end I canned the drag & drop part because it was a whole lot of code (i.e., all sorts of API calls and over a hundred of lines of code) to manage a whole lot of exceptions. And that was just Win Explorer; users asked for drag & drop Outlook file attachments, from Gmail attachments, etc. It was clearly a pandora's box and huge complexity. Perhaps I set it up wrong but research I did confirmed this was a lot of code. Even using the low-code "Hyperlink" field type didn't work reliably in a continuous form (i.e., after a few drag & drops the field would freeze and become completely unresponsive until the db is restarted).

In the end I showed the client the simpler alternative where they press an "Insert Attachment" button that brings up the FileDialog for about a dozen lines of code. Turns out they are fine with it and there's the classic design lesson: clients tell you what they think they want, it's your job to tell them what they need. When clients say "we want drag & drop" what they actually mean is a feature to associate files with database records, designing the exact mechanics of a cost effective UX/UI is generally not clients' expertise.

I don't want to discourage you, drag & drop is great in theory, but in practice I've come to the conclusion that it's generally not worth the costs in complexity to implement in Access given that there are much simpler alternatives that users also recognize.

Hope this helps

gsrajan

Registered User.
Local time
Thanks so much. I will try theDBguy link also. I have not given access to those files since registration is pending with Ultra Access. Thanks for your insight in this issue.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:27
Thanks so much. I will try theDBguy link also. I have not given access to those files since registration is pending with Ultra Access. Thanks for your insight in this issue.
Hi. Did you check your email? I thought registration approval is automatic. Check your Spam folder too, just in case.

Gasman

Enthusiastic Amateur
Local time
Today, 10:27
What will work, is if you open the FileDialog window to the required folder, then drag the email in.

theDBguy

I’m here to help
Staff member
Local time
Today, 03:27
I checked all folders, not found :(
Hi. I asked about your registration and was told to verify if you used the correct email address during registration. Can you please confirm it (you can send it to me via email, if you don't want to post it here). Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom